Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo wargaming with miniatures  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Solo wargaming with miniatures
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
I have a confession, I too am a solo wargamer and not just because of the dreaded lurgi!

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
The number is growing!!!!!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
This is the game where the penny started to drop, playing solo wise. I used the OHW 'chance cards' and they made a big difference.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=127848.0

I'll miss playing with my old mates as we've been at it over 40 years, but all things come to an end some day.
I've bookmarked your blog T, I think you've got something there.

:)

You always need luck to act as a fog of war, so that you never know what will happen next.

I use card activation so that I never know which side is going to activate, and I always set several plot points that when searched by a miniature, they give an advantage, a disadvantage, nothing or an unexpected event...
This provides a fog of war that makes every turn really intense.

Yes, I feel somewhat empowered.  I always did periods/games and painted/based in a way that fitted in with others so that I could join games.
The pressure to complete large armies for a particular time has lifted and I don't have to worry about the quality of my painting skills.
I feel, as I suppose I always could have, to go my own way, tinker with scenarios, use whatever rules fit and play with proxy armies.  My only caveat would be that my figures and terrain are all painted, I am Old School that way.
So, thank you for your input.

Solo wargaming is more relaxing indeed... And I agree with you: any miniature or terrain that is on the table has to be painted.

I have a confession, I too am a solo wargamer and not just because of the dreaded lurgi!

Glen

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I'm a solo wargamer because of my dreaded children...
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 08:08:05 PM »
Are these new cards for the solo section instead of the Chance dice rolls?

There's a chapter in the book with 15 event cards. I printed them off, one blue one red, draw one start of each sides turn. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes a slight agg, occasionally an extreme agg!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
I'll take another look in the book.  Thanks.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 11:10:00 PM »
Got all the stuff, plenty of scenarios, terrain, rules - in spades.

I seem to keep painting instead. Always painting! A night spent on a game is a night away from the brushes.

One day - soon!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 08:25:45 AM »
I have that problem, except my gaming table is covered with stuff to paint and my shed has at least 10 years' worth of painting in it.

I googled and found a set of OHW Chance Cards online: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=one+hour+wargames+solo+cards&form=HDRSC2&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
I feel the same way Kitsune.

Tereydavi, I would be curious to know if you are familiar with Core Space from Battle Systems and if you are, how the AI rules there compare to the other solo friendly games you have reviewed.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 12:11:15 PM »

I seem to keep painting instead. Always painting! A night spent on a game is a night away from the brushes.

One day - soon!

I was like this as I always had lists of stuff I wanted to build terrain wise and a box of minis (small by most peoples standards but big for me) I seemed to add to each month.

Earlier in the year I made a conscious decision to change and moved to more playing: I am enjoying this and it seems to have made my painting more enjoyable too.

I had got into the habit of speedpainting everything as I always had my mind on the next thing so it was all rush, rush, rush.

I now limit myself to a maximum of 5 miniatures to paint in the house at any one time; I'm feeling much better for it and am getting 2-3 games a week in every week.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »

One day - soon!

I was like this as I always had lists of stuff I wanted to build terrain wise and a box of minis (small by most peoples standards but big for me) I seemed to add to each month.

Earlier in the year I made a conscious decision to change and moved to more playing: I am enjoying this and it seems to have made my painting more enjoyable too.

I had got into the habit of speedpainting everything as I always had my mind on the next thing so it was all rush, rush, rush.

I now limit myself to a maximum of 5 miniatures to paint in the house at any one time; I'm feeling much better for it and am getting 2-3 games a week in every week.

I think that's something we all have been at some point... Painting and making scenery but not playing because there is always something else to paint...

One day I decided that I would just paint things or make scenery that were going to be used in a game. For example, I made a searchlight and an AA gun to use them in one of the next games, and that way I'm painting or making scenery with a purpose in my head, and once I play the game I move into another game and maybe psi t minis needed for that next game (or make some scenery needed).

For me it has worked as a solution, and now I may spend a couple of evenings painting knowing that a game is following....

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 07:21:47 PM »
I feel the same way Kitsune.

Tereydavi, I would be curious to know if you are familiar with Core Space from Battle Systems and if you are, how the AI rules there compare to the other solo friendly games you have reviewed.

I haven't played core space, I'm really curious about how the AI works, as I have been told that it works fine.

Core space and fallout wasteland warfare have AIs that are said to be really good options, but unfortunately I haven't any of them, do, I can't be of any help...

Maybe for the next post I have bought them...
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 06:59:55 AM »
Battle Systems provides the basic rules for free online. Might be worth your time to have a look before spending any money.

https://battlesystems.co.uk/downloads/

Although they do also just happened to have a great Kickstarter going on right now as well... in its last 48 hours. The all in pledge is quite tasty.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlesystems/core-space-first-born/description

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 08:59:14 AM »
I googled and found a set of OHW Chance Cards online: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=one+hour+wargames+solo+cards&form=HDRSC2&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

That's 'em J. I printed one set onto red card the other onto blue, then laminated 'em.

:)

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
Battle Systems provides the basic rules for free online. Might be worth your time to have a look before spending any money.

https://battlesystems.co.uk/downloads/

Although they do also just happened to have a great Kickstarter going on right now as well... in its last 48 hours. The all in pledge is quite tasty.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlesystems/core-space-first-born/description

I have checked how the AI works in core space, and there is a decision tree to make the NPC (non player character) work.

IMG-20201118-203416" border="0

This is best system I have found, as it makes the NPCs act in a logical way (and that way work as a "real" opponent).

Blood In Space (and Blood in the Blade) has a similar decision tree to make the opponents work, and it is the system I'm using in my games.

Once you have played several games using the same decision tree you don't need to look at it, and the game runs really smooth.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:14:49 PM by tereydavi »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 12:09:54 AM »
I suppose the trick is getting familiar with it enough for it to become second nature... that is going to take me awhile longer I think.