Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Naval in 40mm  (Read 2448 times)

Offline schoey

• Scientist
Re: Napoleonic Naval in 40mm
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
It is clear to see the differences in the pictures and First Legion horse is very good, can these still be purchased?

it's a a shame the Perries did not add to their 40mm range, never understood why they brought out French cavalry, mtd officer and artillery, but nothing  for the British or Spanish, maybe a more complete range would encourage more people to purchase.
Thinking about using Perry hussars as Spanish once I work out how best to sort the head out, add S&S Mexican head & build collar in putty or add Perry head & remove shako and add Mexican one.

Mind you I have been inspired by your Spanish artillery battery, thinking about that as well!

Paul

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 03:29:30 AM »
Hopefully these photos show you what I mean - first photo is a mounted officer on a sh*t model of a horse next to a S&S infantryman - even given camera distortion you can see how small he is . Second photo shows S&S v a fab true to scale foundry/Perry - note the leg length differences. The third photo is the S&S dragoon ‘horse’ v the far superior First legion dragoon horse with the correct horse furniture - you can make your own minds up but I know which I prefer
Ian

I see what you're saying. That is somewhat... ugly.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 03:44:50 AM »
It is clear to see the differences in the pictures and First Legion horse is very good, can these still be purchased?

it's a a shame the Perries did not add to their 40mm range, never understood why they brought out French cavalry, mtd officer and artillery, but nothing  for the British or Spanish, maybe a more complete range would encourage more people to purchase.

Thinking about using Perry hussars as Spanish once I work out how best to sort the head out, add S&S Mexican head & build collar in putty or add Perry head & remove shako and add Mexican one.

Mind you I have been inspired by your Spanish artillery battery, thinking about that as well!

Paul

40mm's problem is that most people dont do both armies. Usually, someone does up just one side and that's the holding power of 15 and 28mm. Maybe with the rise of pandemic induced solo gaming, more people feel a need to do both sides.

Still, 40mm cavalry is probably off-putting for a lot in terms of cost. Also, all the resin and plastic stuff being released cannot be helpful to 40mm.

I chatted with one of the Perry's about their 40mm range and why they didn't release more. The reply was that they liked sculpting them but they didn't sell enough. It was mentioned that they would respond to demand but how that demand gets started is beyond me.

Maybe the new technology of 3ups could be applied to also make masters for 40mm without it being a burden?

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »
Overwhelming  :-*

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 07:10:45 PM »

40mm's problem is that most people dont do both armies. Usually, someone does up just one side and that's the holding power of 15 and 28mm. Maybe with the rise of pandemic induced solo gaming, more people feel a need to do both sides.

Still, 40mm cavalry is probably off-putting for a lot in terms of cost. Also, all the resin and plastic stuff being released cannot be helpful to 40mm.

I chatted with one of the Perry's about their 40mm range and why they didn't release more. The reply was that they liked sculpting them but they didn't sell enough. It was mentioned that they would respond to demand but how that demand gets started is beyond me.

Maybe the new technology of 3ups could be applied to also make masters for 40mm without it being a burden?

I think if Alan told you that it’s probably because you can’t argue with commercials BUT the Perry’s have a long history of producing figures that they want to play with and when they’ve scratched that itch they move on - they’ll never do plastics in 40mm - they have to sell shed loads to pay for the tooling and cost of production - it’s a selfish disregard for their 40mm customers - another 10 infantry figures could produce a Portuguese contingent and 5-6 cavalry figures could also fulfill a need - the Hussar horses could be used for Vistula Lancers - and if they produced Generals and Aide De Camps a lot of 28mm collectors would paint them for fun
Ian

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 07:48:53 PM »
I think if Alan told you that it’s probably because you can’t argue with commercials BUT the Perry’s have a long history of producing figures that they want to play with and when they’ve scratched that itch they move on - they’ll never do plastics in 40mm - they have to sell shed loads to pay for the tooling and cost of production - it’s a selfish disregard for their 40mm customers - another 10 infantry figures could produce a Portuguese contingent and 5-6 cavalry figures could also fulfill a need - the Hussar horses could be used for Vistula Lancers - and if they produced Generals and Aide De Camps a lot of 28mm collectors would paint them for fun
Ian

Oh well, I guess 40mm enthusiasts are screwed.

A few headsets would open up what they've already done too, such as a set for British light infantry, Spanish top hats, a couple of command for the slop suited Spanish etc...

And why oh why would they make the French artillery crews in resin?