Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shooting Modifiers  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Shooting Modifiers
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
Hiya. Quick question that I have been meaning to ask for years, but keep forgetting.

When we play we often find (mostly with low quality troops) that the various modifiers for cover, movement, range and so on mean troops have no chance of hitting. Was it your intention that a 10 always hits (so there is always a small chance of hitting something) or simply that if a target is too hard to hit, it is too hard to hit and that is that.

Many games do this, but the I can't seem to find anywhere in the T&T rules where it says which side you fellas fall on this. Obviously we can all make our own minds up on this one, but I'd like to know what the "official" view is (i.e. what your intentions were when designing the game), before I go tinkering with the rules.

And apologies if it does say somewhere and I missed it. That is quite likely, knowing me.

Cheers.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Shooting Modifiers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
Hello Plynkes,

a 10 is not always a hit. I dont like this rule from other wargames I play. Players try to roll as many dice as possible in hope to score one hit.

I know its a bad rule for raw troops because they have to close on the target and hardly hit on the move.

I wrote a special rule for the colonial supplement that allows player to score on a 10.

I will print it below. Its kind of preview for the colonial supplement !

Expert Marksmen

The opposite of a bad shot is the marksman.

The battle tactic of the Pathans comprised marksmanship. They usually used higher ground for their attacks and sniped at the enemy with a high grade of accuracy.

In Triumph and Tragedy Expert Marksman will always hit on a 10 when the calculated to hit score is not above eleven.

Example : Your units score is 7 and you play a  move & shoot action  + 2 ( to hit score 9 ) your target is in good cover inside a building + 2 ( to hit score 11 ) Just enough to use the Expert Marksman rule.

This rule was designed for Pathans and Boers as a special skill.
Iam sure you can easily adopt or modify this rule for your games.

I hope this helps. If not, please feel free and use the "always hit on a 10 rule as a houserule"

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:28:18 AM »
Cheers, B.

I can actually see benefits in both ways, and couldn't make my mind up as to which way to go. So I thought I'd get it from the horse's mouth, as it were. Turns out we have been playing it your way all along.

"Bad shot" is a very good idea (it wasn't in the playtest bits you sent me, I don't think). You need that for colonial games. As it stands in T&T, you cannot be good at melee or have high morale without being good at shooting too. For native peoples you need that variation. I was going to add that to some of my native units for an upcoming game myself.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:32:39 AM by Plynkes »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:35:32 AM »
I agree about the Bad Shot idea - that will work well for a lot of instances - civilian militias, natives etc.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »
There will be a bad shot "skill"
Cheers
Björn