Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] TALOS MINIATURES - Updated- New head set  (Read 8729 times)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
[Commercial] TALOS MINIATURES - Updated- New head set
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:52:25 PM »

ABOUT THE RANGE

Greetings! Welcome to the first launch of Talos Miniatures!
My name is Yannis (Ioannis) Katsanakis and Im a graphic designer living in Athens. I have a long interest in ancient Greece since childhood, and this project begun as a personal labour of love. It was a real journey of expanding my novice sculpting skills and (to the best of my ability) creating historically accurate miniatures based on primary sources, archaeological finds and well researched illustrations. As I already mentioned the original plan was to create some minis for my own use and for my wargamming mates. Only after the comments in this very forum, I realised that there was an interest in reproducing my miniatures for commercial use. So here they are, cast in high quality resin!
Keep in mind that this is a garage kit. That does not mean low quality standards but it is a limited numbers range. The orders will be fullfilled on a ''first come, first served'' basis. There are plans for the further expansion of the range and possibly adding more themes, but the continuation of the commercial availability will depend from the interest of the miniature community.

WHAT YOU GET
The miniatures are going to be sold as a set only. Each Phalanx set will have 6 multipart minis. Along side with the Phalanx set, a spare head set will be available for purchace, with 5 heads and 5 separate plumes. More spare head sets will be available in the future.

PRICING & SHIPPING

Each Phalanx miniature set of 6 figures will come at the cost of 30 euros
Each spare head set of 5 heads will come at the price of 5 euros

The parcels will be shipped with Hellenic Postal Service (ELTA), registered, A class priority with tracking number. The shipping cost worldwide will be 8 euros.
Multiple item orders will be have combined shipping.

HOW TO ORDER
PM me with your desired quantity of Phalanx sets and head sets. I will get back at you with the total amount and my personal paypal account link. Once the payment has gone through, I will pack your order and ship it to you asap.

IMPORTANT NOTE
Greece is still under a national lockdown due to the pandemic and there are rumours that xmass might be canceled. Because of the overload in the postal service please have in mind that there might be some delay. Also from my part due to movement restrictions and actually trying to avoid catching the plague  ;D I will have to limit my visits to the post office. So please have in mind that I will post your orders once or twice (depending from the situation) in a week.

You can follow the progress and wip of this range in this thread
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=117693.0
Thank you very much for your interest!
Yannis

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:29:59 PM by Captain Harlock »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: [Commercial] TALOS MINIATURES
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 10:41:38 PM »
Wonderful!!!
Captain! I wish you all the best!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 01:13:21 AM »
Beautiful figures, but the set of six is a poor mix for a gamer wishing to us them to build a Greek army.  Two out of the six I would consider special characters, and maybe even the hop lite with his foot on a rock.  You need to create a couple more ordinary hoplites and build up a set of six fighters.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 05:00:24 AM »
Awesome stuff. I am just deciding how many sets I want and will PM you once this is finalised.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 06:01:27 AM »
Well done Captain ! They look excellent  :-*  PM incoming
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »
I love it! :-* Purely based on the pictures these are the best 28 mm hoplites I've seen. I am in! ;-)

Beautiful figures, but the set of six is a poor mix for a gamer wishing to us them to build a Greek army.  Two out of the six I would consider special characters, and maybe even the hop lite with his foot on a rock.  You need to create a couple more ordinary hoplites and build up a set of six fighters.

For a mass ranked ruleset, these are indeed a bit harder to use if you want to make units, but these are also a first release. I too would love to have a set of more mundane / poorer hoplites to fill out the ranks, but I think that this first release will work wonderful when combined with the Victrix plastic Greek sets and even the Victrix Macedonian Hypaspists sets when you use the head set.

For the game "Mortal Gods" I will using them.  Aristodemos and Polynikes will be both a Lochagos and Kalimachos will be  a Promachos. Kleon and Kimon will each be added to a group of experienced hoplites. Lysandros will be more of a painting project.

Hopefully Yannis will be encouraged to make more hoplites in the future so there is even more choice. A group of more mundane hoplites would ofcourse be great. I.e  3 or 4 one piece bodies with seperate head and right arm set would give more diversity for unit building . They would look beter than the Victrix Athens/Theban/Spartan and Mercenary sets and hopefully a bit more dynamic than the Victrix Macedonian Hypaspists set.

I also love the head set. I have most of the Footsore head sets and while I really like them, these do look even better. :D

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 09:31:17 AM »
This pack is a command set of historical generals that's why you may only need part of them on the table at the same time. One Spartan and the rest Athenians.
Did the strategoi keep these vintage helmet crests into the Peloponnesian war? They look quite more adaptated to the Persians war period.
Anyway great miniatures! You are on my radar now.
Philippe

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 10:51:50 AM »
Wonderful!!!
Captain! I wish you all the best!

Thank you Dino for your kind words and support!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
not in the market for such figures -but to just say - absolutely superb work.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:13:31 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »

This range was focused on strategoi, lochagoi and notable heroes. Lysandros was created by using as a refference a famous spartan statuette, more as a vignette or command base unit. The rest of the minis are fighting officers. In classical warfare the officers took their places in the front line, so you can easily fit these in a phalanx.
This is a first launch, testing the water. Due to the production costs of resin casting, you cant antagonize the prices of metal and plastic if you do not offer something different. But if there is an interest in full resin armies, i would be very happy to oblige with a set of rank and file in the future.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
This pack is a command set of historical generals that's why you may only need part of them on the table at the same time. One Spartan and the rest Athenians.
Did the strategoi keep these vintage helmet crests into the Peloponnesian war? They look quite more adaptated to the Persians war period.
Anyway great miniatures! You are on my radar now.
Philippe

Technically there are 2 spartans. Lysandros and Polynikes  :). But this can be altered by using a different head. The high elaborate crests were probably dropped by the end of the persian wars, but there are pottery depictions of high or double and triple crests, used by officers and leaders. Perhaps even members of the upper class with aristocratic lineage.
Historically this range sits at the end of the persian wars and the start of the pelloponesian war, so they can be used for both. Im thinking of introducing a range of archaic hoplites also in the future. With bell cuirasses and extra panoply parts for the abdoment, thighs, legs and arms.
Generally the plumes and helmets are seperate and you can mix and match or even make conversions with other miniature lines out there.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »
Very nice sculpts, good luck with your venture 👍
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Very nice sculpts, good luck with your venture 👍
Thank you very much!

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
Looks like a very inspiring set of officers and kings for Greek armies or skirmish games. I reckon they will be fun to paint.
JJonas

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 11:28:29 PM »
Looks like a very inspiring set of officers and kings for Greek armies or skirmish games. I reckon they will be fun to paint.
Thank you very much  :)