Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] TALOS MINIATURES - Updated- New head set  (Read 8740 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Re: [Commercial] TALOS MINIATURES - Updated- New head set
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 02:52:42 PM »
I do have an interest in small vignettes and civilians. I was thinking of doing a scene depicted in pottery of  warriors carrying a dead, but i dont know if there would be enough interest to warrant production of 5 non action minis. I was also thinking of doing a carrying the shield and campaign provisions of his master. Or a farewell scene vignete with the wife handing the shield to her husbant. Probably at some point i will just do these even if its just for me and my mates.

Those all sound amazing!
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
I do have an interest in small vignettes and civilians. I was thinking of doing a scene depicted in pottery of  warriors carrying a dead, but i dont know if there would be enough interest to warrant production of 5 non action minis. I was also thinking of doing a carrying the shield and campaign provisions of his master. Or a farewell scene vignete with the wife handing the shield to her husbant. Probably at some point i will just do these even if its just for me and my mates.

Can I be on your “mates” list please ?  ;)  lol
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
Can I be on your “mates” list please ?  ;)  lol

lol lol

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 06:35:02 AM »
Indeed, this all sounds fantastic.

There is quite a nice illustration of a Hellenistic mercenary farewelling his wife and child with a servant (slave?) in the background lugging his kit in the Sep/Oct 2020 issue of Ancient Warfare that might be useful for inspiration.

Unsurprisingly, I'd be keen to join the cohort of mates for these and similar offerings.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »
Hey guys
Since Greece is still under a lockdown and there is a chance that xmass will be canceled this year, I decided that there is no reason to keep you waiting. I updated the initial method of ordering. From now on you can PM me your order, I will get back at you with the total and the paypal link. Once your payment has gone through the system, I will prepare your order, ship it to you asap given the circumstances and PM you your tracking number.

Today it was shipping day. Talos miniatures boxed and ready to start their Odyssey towards their new homes in europe and overseas. I have to say that I feel excited  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »
Captain, I wish a good trip to them and a good start for your own endeavor!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »
Great news!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Thank you Dino and Tonhel!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2020, 06:04:19 PM »
This year was a tough one for all. Being able to keep ourselves occupied with our little hobby, provided much needed comfort and peace of mind. Also having readily available a stock of nitrile gloves, good facemasks and isopropyl alchohol for airbrushing proved suprisingly combat ready for a geeky hobby  lol.
I would like to wish a happy new year, good health and prosperity to everybody in our little community! I would also like to thank you for your feedback and support.
Right now 5 new Greek hoplite minis are slowly forming up to take their place in the ranks of a phallanx.  :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »
Happy new year and good health to you!
I wish you to see all your projects fulfilled and your work to receive the recognition it deserves!!!
Cheers!

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »
All the best to you Captain - I’ve currently got one of your guys on my workbench so am looking forward to seeing your project evolve and wishing you success along the way

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
Happy new year!

All the best to you Captain - I’ve currently got one of your guys on my workbench so am looking forward to seeing your project evolve and wishing you success along the way

I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
I received my well packaged set and started to break the bits apart.

My first impression is that these are incredible sculpts and castings so thanks Talos. They do not disappoint.
I started assembling the Aristodemos model, since it had a spear and I wanted to explore that first. Also this is one of the more spectacular figures with its double crested Corinthian helmet.

The first thought is these are well proportioned but very large scale figures- larger than jumbo 28mm figures. They tower over older 28’s such as Foundry. Their fine proportions also make them seem unique when placed next to the often squat-like 28mm game figures we are used to.
I found them to be very compatible with the Footsore Mortal Gods figures- which are also resin and leaner proportioned figures.

The resin is very nicely cast and I had little trouble cleaning the tiny bits other than my fumble thumbs. The pinned arms made things go quickly but I do recommend test fitting, especially this one with the wide crest. My Loctite Super glue Gel control worked fine for assembly. The armor details are really spectacular as are the head details and hair styles- very accurate for Greeks- something that is often puzzlingly overlooked by sculptors. This model’s Gorgon bronze breastplate is a work of art. His heroic pose certainly will make him stand out as an Archon in any force.

The figures are tall also because their bases are a bit thicker than metals but they can be filed down a few mm. I can tell that like the other skirmish game direction games are going these will need 22-15mm bases for space. Swords are dainty and nice. I found the shields to be very large- which is ok for characters, but rank and file will feel left out. This one’s shield was warped but I can address that later since I ordered the full set I have extras. The spear and hand attachment gives me the willy’s because I know any kind of gaming use is going to crack it. Also the spear is thick compared to the dainty in scale swords. I may have to replace it but I hesitate sine the blade and saroter are so well done. I may just use a sword hand for this haven't made up my mind yet.

So that’s my take first glance. Excellent figures that I know are going to look great painted. Taller than usual 28’s but perfectly fit with all the skirmish games coming out.

Thanks Talos for raising the bar on details for our hoplite aficionados!
More to come on www.ancientbattles.com soon I hope to entertain these in the new year!
Jeff

Here’s a quick on the desk photo. Left to right Gorgon Studios 28mm Spartan, Talos Aristodemos, Footsore Spartan (Mortal Gods), Talos Lysandros, Foundry 28mm Spartan :

JJonas

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 09:23:33 PM »
I agree with Jjonas :)

Here a couple of more scale pictures. From left to right.
Footsore metal, Talos miniature, 3x Victrix body with Talos head, Talos miniature, Footsore resin Thrakian.
The 2x Talos miniature + 3x Victrix miniatures shields and bases are WIP.

Edit: I replaced the spears with a plastic Victrix spear, to bring everything more in scale with the Victrix mini's. I also removed the casted base.

More Talos heads on Victrix bodies.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:28:54 PM by Tonhel »

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 03:17:29 AM »
I concur - terrific stuff.  I received my box on New Year's Eve (a working day here) and was surprised by how quickly it got here.  That wasn't the only surprise; the packaging and presentation were excellent:

Above: Presentation box

Above: The contents of the box are very well packaged and should withstand rough handling by your postal service

No breakages en route with this sort of care and attention to detail. The box also looks great with the Talos logo on a 'slip cover' and would make for an excellent gift presentation pack.

The contents are equally good. The multi-part miniatures are all really well cast and will not, I anticipate, require too much cleaning up. Some helmets also have small holes in their top to receive the pin in the base of the crests which should make fitting very straightforward.

Above: Commander minaiture with separate cape and three heads - one for holding as a trophy and the other give a good choice for individualising the miniatures

Above: Rank-and-file hoplite - note the resin cast spear.

I also grabbed one of each of the head sets and can see these getting used to give interesting variations to plastic miniatures.

Above: both head sets with separate crests for further variation

Size-wise, these are at the larger end of the 28mm spectrum. As noted above, they work very will with Victrix and offer a lot of character and variety for both skirmish and larger-scale miniatures gaming.

Above: Victrix (left) and Talos (right) for comparison

Above: Victrix body with a couple of sample Talos heads - they both look to fit and scale perfectly

So, overall a very impressive set of miniatures. This set could be the start of something really special.