Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seleucid army; cataphracts  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Seleucid army; cataphracts
« on: November 16, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »
I finally finished the cataphract cavalry for my coming Seleucid army. Well army might be a big word, but at least DBA army. I have wanted to paint these guys for years along with their elephants and scythed chariot. On the word bench are the chariot and after that an elephant or some phalangites. Progress is slow but steady and I hope to have them ready before Christmas. I cannot wait to see how they perform. It is a very interesting army.

Cheers
Erik

Offline duivelindoosje

• Scientist
Re: Seleucid army; cataphracts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »
very nice indeed, looking forward to see the rest

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:14:27 AM »
Very nice indeed. Really like the 'cold' bronze tone you've achieved.
What make/scale are these?

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
These look great - the basing suits them perfectly too....I shall enjoy following your progress
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »
Erik, very nice. If I’m not mistaken the figures are 28mm 1st Corps? I find their ancient ranges a bit hit and miss based on when they were produced. IMHO the Macedonian/Successor range is one of their better ones, and much under-appreciated. My only additional comment is that they are a bit smaller than other manufacturers. I have some in a mainly Aventine/ Foundry army. OK as separate units but you couldn’t mix them.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

SJWI: Those Aventine figures look awsome. If this army is ever to expand beyond DBA, Aventine would be my first place to go. I also like the scythed chariot from Polemarch, but 1. Corps won with their crashed chariot model.

Erik

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 12:20:13 PM »
Erik, my army is mainly Aventine but with Gripping Beast/Polemarch scythed chariots, some 1st Corps Cataphracts and a few Foundry skirmishers. Today I would go “all Aventine” as their range is pretty complete, with the exception of retaining the Foundry javelin men.

That said 1st Corps are 20% cheaper which may make a difference to some people’s decision making process.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »
My Seleucid force is boosted with a scythed chariot. I actually like the one from Gripping Beast better. Where else in historical wargaming can you deploy a chaoswarrior chariot and actually get away with it.
The thing that wins it for 1. Corps, is the crashed chariot model. My opponent will have to struggle with this lump of resin every time they kill my chariot.
Sadly 1. Corps send me four of the same horse model even though they make different ones.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
Nicely done Erik - an impressive looking piece....shame about the four repeat horses for the crashed one but looks good how you’ve painted it

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 03:22:19 PM »

The Seleucids get all the cool toys.

Nicely done.  I think the Seleucid version of cataphracts are the coolest looking with those face masks.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
Erik, my army is mainly Aventine but with Gripping Beast/Polemarch scythed chariots, some 1st Corps Cataphracts and a few Foundry skirmishers. Today I would go “all Aventine” as their range is pretty complete, with the exception of retaining the Foundry javelin men.

That said 1st Corps are 20% cheaper which may make a difference to some people’s decision making process.

Nice job on some of my favorite models! 1st Corps has a large range of Successors and their models work with some 28mm, but often their figures fit more with older Foundry, Old Glory, smaller 28mm to large 25mm figures (like most of my collection). I like your cataphracts and chariots. The 1st Corps cavalry hold up better against larger figures than some of their crouching foot figures. I have no problem with 1st Corps cataphracts lined up next to Relic, Old Glory, or Aventine Seleucid cavalry. The real outliers now are the Victrix plastic cavalry with their large riders and horses that dwarf all others.

The wrecked chariot model is a lot of fun and they did a nice job on it. Too bad they skunked you on repeated horses- the 1st Corps Persian horses are some of the mosts accurate you can get IMO, but they are a bit dainty. But in a quadriga they have nice animation. I wish the wrecked chariot rules had made it into WAB, more things to be yelled at about I reckon :)

Scythed chariots are one of those hard things to bring to a game table- so useful or simply wretched, and gamer's always maximize uses if they can.

The 1st Corps animated horses are great looking as part of a quadriga:
https://ancientbattles.com/Darius/darius_04.jpg

The Polemarch is my favorite, but its nice to mix and match. I have 1st Corps, Relic, Polemarch and Old Glory Scythed Chariots so I like the eclectic look.

http://ancientbattles.com/antiochus_ptolemy/SC_GrippingBeast_01small.jpg

Relic' version is big and impressive also- has larger armored horses:
https://www.relicminiatures.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Seleucid-Chariot-900-1-900x900.png
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:02:31 PM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
Jonas, can you tell me the manufacturer of the "Darius" command chariot and figures.  It's very nice and just what I need for my Foundry-based army.
Thanks

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 10:44:43 PM »
Jonas, can you tell me the manufacturer of the "Darius" command chariot and figures.  It's very nice and just what I need for my Foundry-based army.
Thanks

Hi it is not an actual available kit, it is a conversion from many models and special limited release figure:

Here are more details of that project, I'm currently updating with new photos after re-doing the wheels.

https://ancientbattles.com/Darius/darius_chariot.htm

Jeff