Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Little Big Man Banners  (Read 5502 times)

Offline MGH

• Scientist
Little Big Man Banners
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:08:58 PM »
I just had two sheets of beautiful LBM banners arrive for flagging up my Crusades range that I'm painting up. And maybe I'm just slow but I'm a bit confused about how exactly you use them.

There are two sets of instructions included - one for shield transfers, one for banner transfers and it seems to me they are rather different in approach. Obviously I only have flags so that's my concern.

Before I go and screw something up, I figured I would ask the forum brain trust here for any tips on how they used these.

There is a thin plastic film on top of the banners which when you gently peel back the colorful flag seems very very sticky. A buddy of mine was over and we couldn't be sure that the flag separates from the paper backing or it that is all one?  Seems odd to me though.

Anyhow maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing?

Oh I did go to youtube and found plenty of how to vids for doing the shields. No one doing the banners though, least that I could come up with.

Thanks for any advice one might give, guys!

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: Little Big Man Banners
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:46:30 AM »
Applying the shield transfers is tricky as they go on design side first-meaning you see the blank cardboard backing. Hard to line up properly. I have sheets of them waiting that I'm dreading to use.

With the banners I would photocopy them onto paper cut them out and stick them together on the flag staff with white glue-works for me.  Someone else can tell what you really should do.

Good luck.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:31:39 AM »
What with the latest Covid shutdowns and me not owning a photocopier, your method isn't gonna work for me, but thanks for letting me know.

Well, I went back on youtube and this time I lucked out and fought the perfect vid where the method is clearly shown (it's toward the end of the clip):

(method starts at about the 1:45 mark)

Now that I saw how he did it, I'm much more confident in trying it out myself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:33:13 AM by MGH »

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
MGH: LBM flags are similar to the shields. They need to be put on a white background. This could be foil painted white. You could maybe use paper but I'm not how well it will take with the transfer having to be wet.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »
I’ve used LBMS for both shield decals and banners. My tried and tested manner for flags/banners is to peel off the  plastic layer and then put onto a piece of paper. You then wet the backing paper with a modelling brush.peel off and leave to dry. Where you have a two part/side flag I draw a line on the paper to line up the bottom of the flag on, also being careful to remember to align the two sides of the flags correctly. Then cut out the flag and I stick the two sides together with a Prit-Stick, working outside back towards the flag pole.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
MGH: LBM flags are similar to the shields. They need to be put on a white background. This could be foil painted white. You could maybe use paper but I'm not how well it will take with the transfer having to be wet.

I use a minimum of 200 gsm Gouache paper- usually 300gsm or thereabouts and I've never had any trouble with warping. I apply the water with a soft watercolour brush just going over the edges of the transfer and leave for at least five minutes. If you were very worried about warping you could stretch the paper first and you will get absolutely zero warpage. You could also do several banners/flags etc all in one go with this method.

How to Stretch Paper:

What also works for me, I cut the banner out carefully prior to sticking it to the paper.

As I say, that's what works for me :)

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen, for all the advice and tips!  I plan on doing my first attempt with one of the expendable flags on the sheet. That is using a flag I know I have no desire to actually use for the collection. That way if something goes wrong, nothing lost really.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 08:55:40 PM »
Well, I tried one banner doing exactly what that youtube click suggested and it worked like a charm. Then I did a banner that I wanted, went smoothly, and it now flies proudly on one of my command stands. Life's little victories!

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
As Flags of war said, foil is good thing to put them on. I generally use either yoghurt lids or dog food tray lids with the top sticker peeled off. Put them on a flat surface, then rub with a spoon to smooth out any little bubbles, paint white with a paint that won't crack (I use Vallejo primer) apply design and cut out. You can then bend it how you like.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 05:44:12 PM »
I really should have gone on this thread before trying to fit a flag for my 42nd regt. Sadly the enclosed instructions are absolute pants and make no mention of the thin protective plastic sheet on top of the design, nor even the water-removed paper sheet! Long story short, I made a horlicks of the whole thing, the flags are ruined and I've had to remove them with a knife (from my fully painted ensigns) and order some more.

Lovely designs, lovely things when done right, shockingly inaccurate instructions included in the pack! 
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 06:41:48 PM »
I really should have gone on this thread before trying to fit a flag for my 42nd regt. Sadly the enclosed instructions are absolute pants and make no mention of the thin protective plastic sheet on top of the design, nor even the water-removed paper sheet! Long story short, I made a horlicks of the whole thing, the flags are ruined and I've had to remove them with a knife (from my fully painted ensigns) and order some more.

Lovely designs, lovely things when done right, shockingly inaccurate instructions included in the pack!

To be honest, I've used so many now I don't read the instructions- have they changed recently?

Sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble mate. I hope the ensign's paint jobs survived?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »
You know, the flags have sat on my shelf so long waiting for me to use them, I don't even remember when I bought them. Certainly 5+yrs ago I reckon so I don't know what the banners and instructions will look like now, but in the absence of any clear wording on the little instruction sheet I had from back then, I was soaking them in warm water as you usually do with water transfer decals! This meant of course that I had a non-sticky side the paper had just slid off and was then trying to stick down the protective plastic coating onto paper! I actually achieved it with liberal use of wood glue, but then the flags were madly stiff and when I tried to bend them into a ripple, all the layers started coming away from each other!

The ensigns survived, as did their homemade flag staffs, much to my surprise, as I gently gouged and scraped the mess away. It's now just a bit of a wait until I can crack on and finish them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023, 01:38:06 PM »
I feel for you mate.

They can be a pain to apply but they really do save a heck of a lot of time when you get into a rhythm with them.

i tend to alternate using transfers between armies as I love painting shields, banners etc but time is getting on as i frow older and some time saving is essential  lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 09:33:19 AM »
Got my lovely new flags through with new BIG idiot-proof instructions (I suspect specifically for me, since they include the tagline 'THIS SHOULD BE BIG AND EASY ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND'). 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 10:56:07 AM »
Got my lovely new flags through with new BIG idiot-proof instructions (I suspect specifically for me, since they include the tagline 'THIS SHOULD BE BIG AND EASY ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND').

lol lol lol