Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erewhon - Who's Playing?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Warlords of Erewhon - Who's Playing?
« on: November 20, 2020, 05:14:20 PM »
As my Oathmark project begins to unfold, it dawns on me that i'll have enough minis for WoE by Rick Priestly.

Anyone have thoughts on this one? How does it compare and contrast with Oathmark? Is it also Rank n Flank? Is it closer to Warhammer?

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Re: Warlords of Erewhon - Who's Playing?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »
That would interest me too!
Altough I dont see any reason (for me) not to stay with Oathmark.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
I don't think it's rank and flank from the people's forces I've seen.

Only saw the cleanup from the few players for it locally as they were putting their forces back into transport. Mainly because they tended to show up a few hours before D&D/Magic for fridays time when the tables were open to anyone who wanted to use them for things, so they'd be packing up when I'd show up when they were playing it. They tended to have a lot of different games they'd have and would be talking about different systems though...I'd have likely been joining them if it wasn't a scheduling thing. I'd get off work and have about an hour and a half to get home and get things for gaming, grab food to bring, and get to the store...along with setup if I'd been the one to run it that night, so didn't really get to see anything in action.

I know Scruffy Crow on YouTube has several videos about building a force for it, Chaos if I remember right...he's also got a pretty neat Oathmark Dwarf army series...

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »
it's a fantasy twist on beyond the gates of antares, so loose unit formation, dice/tokens in a bag with orders on, all the basic warlord mechanics we're all familiar with.

From what I know from those who play it regularly it's a very nice game, familiar if you play bolt action and easy to pick up. I doubt it would really scratch that rank based warhammer itch in the way something like KoW would, but if you have the minis there certainly seem to be worse games to play.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:06:37 PM »
I own the rulebook and as a Bolt Action player (at least in theory, my Bolt Action buddy does not play until he has fully painted his stuff and he is a very perfectionist painter) I can concur that it is an evolution of Bolt Action or Gates of Antares (which is an evolution of Bolt Action).

It has a more "skirmish"-y vibe to it and definitely is not your typical Warhammer Fantasy rank & flank game with alternating actions. It uses the Bolt Action activation system (an activation dice put into the bag for every unit of each player with the players´dice having different colours, then random drawing of the dice). I would therefore recommend a set of specific activation dice for ease of play, though the rules say you could use chits, marbles, whatever instead.

In my opinion Warlords of Erehwon is a great system written by a legend. On top of that the book often is very funny as Mr Priestley likes to put humor into his rules-writing.

You can find all the up to date army lists on Rick Priestley´s Warlords of Erehwon website:

https://thisgaminglife.uk
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:32:29 AM »
it's a fantasy twist on beyond the gates of antares, so loose unit formation, dice/tokens in a bag with orders on, all the basic warlord mechanics we're all familiar with.

From what I know from those who play it regularly it's a very nice game, familiar if you play bolt action and easy to pick up. I doubt it would really scratch that rank based warhammer itch in the way something like KoW would, but if you have the minis there certainly seem to be worse games to play.

Which means that it might be perfect for the all round base force that I've been expanding off and on for Blades and Heroes. For a lot of things, my local group had some issues with things that started with Ronin when someone decided that it would be a great idea to abuse the free rotate ability for an advantage with the oval cavalry bases, so a lot of things since have kind of been settled for things that don't directly list bases sizes for things.

Unfortunately, that group fell apart due to a combo of it hitting the end of term for the local colleges along with having several military members that got transferred at the same time, so the membership has heavily fluctuated due to those things, but there's a few of us still meeting, using the same rules. The store we used to meet at stocked 1", 2", and 3" bases with both round and square (along with the cavalry options we stopped using), so things kind of stuck with those. D&D and Star Wars RPG stuff kind of locked the base sizes due to the use of the grid with them.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 04:25:38 AM »
Interesting read on that website.

And I just figured out that Erehwon is Nowhere spelled backwards.

I’m going to check out some videos to see how it plays.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »
So, this skirmishing sounds a bit more like the LoTR minis game, then? Didn’t Rick Priestly also have a hand in its early edition?

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 02:22:28 PM »
We are using it for playing both Fantasy and Historical. If you prefer Rank and File IGOYGO rules than its nothing for you.
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 05:26:43 AM »
I have looked at a couple of games reports on You Tube.  The rules look interesting.  They appear to be very bloody.  Archery appears to be possibly overpowered but I imagine, if I found this to be the case, it would not be hard to adjust the shooting stats.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
I had thought the rules were mass battle until this thread.

I was ordering some halflings from Warlord at the weekend (they're on sale just now) so I've ordered the rules as well. I had a £10 voucher from them, so that helped :D

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
We played Sunday a HYW game with about 25 miniatures per side, but also had battles with around 80 miniatures per side. I think 150 is possible if you have enough activation dice.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 06:22:46 PM »
We played a couple of games.
I really felled a bit to much that it was an "evolution" from bolt action.
Ranged weapons felled way to powerful. Fine when you're in a WW2 scenario and everyone has guns, but trying to charge anything with ranged weapons still felled like suicide.
I really wanted to like it. I like bolt action, but for my fantasy skirmish, I'm going to go with something else.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »
In our Experience shooting is quite weak. most times only delivering a pin.

Actually the development history, as far as I know, is

Gates of Antares with D10 -> Bolt Action with D6
                 |
                 -------------------------------------------------------------> Warlords of Nowhere with D10

It seems that Bold Action is the easier version of  Gates of Antares and Warlord is more related with the original rules.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 06:53:42 PM »
For some reason, i thought Bolt Action came before Gates of Antares.