Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691128
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is Army Painter's Quickshade made from? Varnishing question  (Read 922 times)

Offline jawd500

• Bookworm
What is Army Painter's Quickshade made from? Varnishing question
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:03:42 AM »
So I'm looking for an ultra strong varnish to use on my metal miniatures. I like the Army Painter's quickshade for this purpose, but for the particular project I'm working on I've found that all their quickshades - Strong, Light and Dark - are all too dark. Since AP Quickshade is a combination varnish and shade, what's the nature of the varnish itself? I imagine that it's a type of varnish that can probably be fairly easily purchased from a hardware/ paint store.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: What is Army Painter's Quickshade made from? Varnishing question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »
If you want a gloss varnish, then boat varnish is very good.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: What is Army Painter's Quickshade made from? Varnishing question
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
Quickshade is a very expensive way of buying tinted polyurethane varnish.

The "varnish wash" technique has been around for decades, I recall a painting service which used it extensively and very cleverly in the early 1980s, lots of coloured metallic tints. Wish I could remember who it was.

You can replicate it yourself by using a good quality gloss household or yacht varnish (Polyurethane or oil base NOT acrylic which dries too quickly) and Humbrol or Revell type modelling enamel paints.  It is a case of trial and error to see what proportions and viscosity work for your projects but when I have used it the quantity of paint is very small, much less than you first imagine and the mix is quite thick.  Best brushed on and wicked off rather than dunk and spin.

It is possible to use acrylic paint in a polyurethane varnish but has to be very well mixed and done in small batches. The colour goes slightly grainy and takes more care in application. This has the advantage that it does not tint the base varnish  and gives a cleaner shading, especially on white backgrounds.

Be aware though that all polyurethane varnishes will yellow when exposed to natural UV light. The more light, especially strong sunlight,  they get the quicker they will yellow. With the very dark Quickshade this is not noticeable but when you make your own very light washes you will see it eventually.