Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690528
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A 15th Century Byzantine Project (20/06 p3 - Militia Unit Complete)  (Read 13528 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: A 15th Century Byzantine Project (24/01 - Stratio-tests!)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
Good idea.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 07:46:42 PM »
Super interesting topic. Following.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
A couple more conversions.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
Nice conversions!  Is the first vignette based off a Perry Napoleonic Egyptian kit?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 08:22:01 AM »
It is the Perry set yes still have a wee bit of work to do to it have to give the middle figure his nose back!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

It's been a bit of a while since I posted an update to this thread! I've been going back to art references to find some inspiration for more Byzantines (and to avoid putting all my eggs in one Riccardian Virgil shaped basket!). I'm operating on the assumption that a lot of depictions of Biblical Romans in 15th century artwork tend to use their contemporary Byzantines to allegorically represent the ancient Romans. Italian artwork from around the 1430s onwards seems roughly consistent with depictions of the Byzantine delegation at the Council of Ferrara-Florence (with a few added extras, presumably for artistic license!), compared to Byzantine icons which are far more in-line with much older iconographic artwork, so I tend to assume that they're not necessarily accurate to the 15th century equipment and clothing. 

In this case, I've decided to go into Flemish artwork for a few inspirations, it's an extra step removed from actual Byzantines, where it may be that the Flemish artists only heard about the Byzantines second-hand from Italian descriptions, or would have Byzantine visitors to the courts of France and Burgundy who would probably attract a lot of attention. That said, I like to use the Flemish paintings because the scenes themselves are generally extremely busy, so there's always a pretty varied cast of characters to use for inspiration!

First up, in Jan van Eyck's Crucifixion and Last Judgement diptych from the 1430s, these two soldiers show up near the bottom. The one on the right has clothes that are broadly consistent with other contemporary depictions of Byzantines, while the one on the left is a little closer to how Stradiots tend to be depicted (with a few changes).

I thought they were pretty striking designs so I decided to convert up some figures based on them

And from the back to emulate the painting!

For a third figure, I went to André d'Ypres' Crucifixion from roughly 1450. There's another figure towards the bottom of the painting who had a pretty interesting pose, so I decided to use that as the basis for another figure, though I went back to Il Virgilio Riccardiano for the outfit itself, considering the painting seemed like the clothes were a little too 'Western'

And here's the three of them together

Hopefully they've turned out ok! My plan is to finish up a unit of 12 of these lighter infantry to use as either levy billmen in Never Mind the Billhooks lists, or alternatively to have them as a block of dismounted Stradioti for later Renaissance/Italian Wars lists
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:23:31 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Pretty cool, They look great. How many are you planning on makeing into a unit?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
I'm loving these  :-*

Very inventive and skilled work  8)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks both!

Pretty cool, They look great. How many are you planning on makeing into a unit?

I think for a start I'm planning on doing a block of 12 of these lighter 'militia' infantry (with room to expand later if the full unit turns out well!). I've found some sources for some heavier armoured Byzantines as well so I'll probably do a similar block of 12 for them as well (count-as men-at-arms in Billhooks games, I'm thinking!)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Very impressive conversions, I look forward to seeing this project grow.

• Mad Scientist
Look great love what you did with these figures.

Willie

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Nice, looking forward to seeing more of the lights and the heavies.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A 15th Century Byzantine Project (20/06 p3 - Militia Unit Complete)
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 06:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I've been working over the last couple of weeks to finish off the initial block of twelve light infantry, and I've managed to complete them

I wanted to keep the very slapdash, militia feel of the unit, so I've varied up the equipment a bit, so only some get shields, only some get armour, and so on.

At the same time I've been trying to keep my options open with 'when' the unit would represent, so I avoided any overt heraldic or religious iconography on the shields (so that they could stand in for multiple Balkan or Ottoman forces in the 15th and early 16th centuries, or simply dismounted Stradioti in service with France or Venice). Plus, it's a way to have a visual shorthand for how Byzantium was (even at its smallest) never demographically homogeneous, and was made up of a whole lot of different peoples throughout its history

A lot of the colour-scheme (and hats!) are based on the good ol' Riccardian Virgil once again, though I wanted to avoid giving anyone red shoes or leggings which feature in a lot of the illustrations

Hopefully they've turned out ok!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 07:07:03 PM »
Yep! Superb conversions  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
Wonderful painting and great conversions.  :-* :-*