Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Video Demo of Warlands from Gen Con  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
Video Demo of Warlands from Gen Con
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:12:37 AM »
There's been a fair amount of interest in Aberrant's newly-released auto-combat game Warlands, so I shot a video of a demo at their booth at Gen Con. It gives a good overview of how the game works, and at the end there's some discussion about future plans and releases for the game.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/08/18/video-demo-of-warlands-by-aberrant-games/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Mac Finn

• Librarian
Re: Video Demo of Warlands from Gen Con
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »
Hey Curry

Long time lurker of your reviews. They are appreciated so keep them coming! Just 'cause you do not have 1000's of replys does not mean they are not read and Hmmmmmmm'ed over.

OK Compliments out of the way!

That game looks very very cool. Although I missed Car Wars, and was exposed to Gorka Morka closer than I would have liked... I really am looking forward to this release.

I will have to get over/around/through the 20mm scale. It is heartbreaking that you cannot bring other existing miniatures from the collection to the game but cool that it allows a new "project."

From your experience w/ Car Wars any benefits (aside from poaching Matchboxes or 1/72 tanks for conversions) or "bad things"??

I had to stop myself from raiding the Peter Pig website when I saw some beautiful 15mm Zulu British a month or so ago.

Out of totally random curiosity did you get a chance to listen to either of the soundtracks they have for Warlands or Rezolution??

So I am not missing the big picture the Rezolution are 28mm, and the new stuff of Warlands is 20mm??

Keep 'em coming!
Mac
Remain Vigilant
Terry Mac

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
Re: Video Demo of Warlands from Gen Con
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
Thanks a lot, Mac. Feedback like yours is what makes me want to keep the project going. It means a lot.

As for the 20mm scale choice, I share some of your misgivings. The main reason Aberrant has cited for not going with 28mm is cost. I think I read someplace that the vehicles would have to cost something like three times as much compared to 20mm. That's a valid concern, it seems to me.

It is annoying for those of us with existing collections not to be able to use them with the new game. I'm actually mostly wondering about terrain. There's a fair amount of 15mm terrain available, and a lot of 25/28mm, but 20mm? I haven't investigated, but maybe there's a supply of 1/72 terrain pieces out there?

AFAIK, Rezolution is 28mm, and the minis are truly cool looking. I shot some decent pics at the booth that will be posted soon.

Sadly I didn't hear either soundtrack.

Thanks for reading. Expect some hot new stuff on Friday.