Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Russian conquest of the Bukharan Emirate: military and diplomatic aspects  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02634937.2014.916110?scroll=top&needAccess=true&journalCode=ccas20

Probably already found but better twice than not at all. Not read yet so no idea of worth.
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Interesting and rare to find sources in English  for that subject but at 39 Euro to read just an article on line? :o  I prefer spend them on a passable champagne bottle

Offline Shardifier

• Assistant
Ha, I read this just last week!

It features plenty of stuff from before our period starts and emphasizes how poorly equipped and trained the Bukharans were, in three separate 'stages' of conquest by the Russians. It also talks about how different Bukharan factions (courtly intrigues, the religious fanatics, etc.) helped contribute to overall defeat and subjugation to Russia.

The fact that the Russians had some degree of proficiency with their artillery also had a big impact - often major disparities in casualty counts because the Russians would blast away and follow-up with an assault, whereas the Bukharan guns were really quite ineffectual (even if they did have some deserter Russians to try and improve the overall skill level).

Might make for a fun matrix game / campaign with plenty of role-playing elements, or indeed a very niche megagame...

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Interesting and rare to find sources in English  for that subject but at 39 Euro to read just an article on line? :o  I prefer spend them on a passable champagne bottle

lol lol lol  Me too, unless you can access your sons academic account, in which case it’s free!  Pass the Champers!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
If you are in the UK you can get a copy through Access to Research http://www.accesstoresearch.org.uk/