Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Greek Odyssey - The Spartoi  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Greek Odyssey - Hydras Teeth & Golden Fleece
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »
Very good!

General, we are still to discuss how to play this but I like your idea.

Finally have a few hours off work this weekend so time to get the skellies based and a little paintwork......

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 03:58:14 PM »
A bit rushed but didn’t have much time last night.  I suspect I’ve overdone my reflective light...still, for quick and dirty, it’s a useful objective.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
has.been - would some of the mechanisms for Pony Wars work? I presume they have random units appearing. Keep up the good work digits (amongst all the other projects)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
Pony wars would work fine, as would other sets like Fist Full of Lead.

Digits, might I suggest purchasing some glitter nail varnish.
It was a trick a friend used. Painted over a metal paint job,
like your fleece, & it really will sparkle.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 05:49:29 PM »
My daughter is up over Christmas....she might have some!  Light isn’t great here.....looks more golden in other light!  Typical.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »
Great looking marker for a great looking project
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:01 AM »
Thanks.  Have another fourteen skellies assembled and primed for painting.  May have a go this weekend. 

I’m also on the look out for a pair of large bulls suitable for Colchis bulls.  Most people seem to go to the mechanical looking brass bulls available, but I thought they were just BIG bulls with brass hooves and fire breathing brass nostrils / mouths?

Anyway, struggling to find good bulls....

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 11:32:47 AM »
Thanks.  Have another fourteen skellies assembled and primed for painting.  May have a go this weekend. 

I’m also on the look out for a pair of large bulls suitable for Colchis bulls.  Most people seem to go to the mechanical looking brass bulls available, but I thought they were just BIG bulls with brass hooves and fire breathing brass nostrils / mouths?

Yes they are described as real bulls not automatons of some kind. I would go for a bull resembling more of an auroch. You will also need a dragon to guard the fleece. Great stuff!  :-* :-*

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
Indeed.  I’m always getting confused about the dragon (drakon) guarding the fleece.  I presume the hydra is simply the interpretation in the film as I believe the teeth of yet another drakon from Thebes were used and planted in the ground (by harnessing the bulls) which in turn became the Spartoi (skeletons)?   All very confusing and I’m sure many different versions of the myth.  I may be completely wrong....my Greek myth knowledge is from Percy Jackson, Wiki, and my audible books by Stephen Fry! 

Indeed, looking up “Spartoi” suggests a literal translation of “sown men”, not skeletons! (See painting below) but of course Skellies are way more cool!

I could go with either......hydra to honor the film or drakon to stick with myth.  Depends which model catches my eye!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:03:59 PM by Digits »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
Indeed.  I’m always getting confused about the dragon (drakon) guarding the fleece.  I presume the hydra is simply the interpretation in the film as I believe the teeth of yet another drakon from Thebes were used and planted in the ground (by harnessing the bulls) which in turn became the Spartoi (skeletons)?   All very confusing and I’m sure many different versions of the myth.  I may be completely wrong....my Greek myth knowledge is from Percy Jackson, Wiki, and my audible books by Stephen Fry! 

Indeed, looking up “Spartoi” suggests a literal translation of “sown men”, not skeletons! (See painting below) but of course Skellies are way more cool!

I could go with either......hydra to honor the film or drakon to stick with myth.  Depends which model catches my eye!

Τhe original myth says that he sawed the teeth of a dragon, using the bulls, and then armed warriors grew instantly (not skeletons). Once Iason threw a stone among them, they started killing each other. The fleece was guarded by another dragon. The ancient greek dragon (drakon) was basicaly a giant snake.  But I think that everybody loves the iconic  movie and the creatures of Harryhausen, so you can mix and match both sources.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: A Greek Odyssey - The Spartoi
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »

May I suggest childrens' toys.
Cheap shops have tubs of larger beasts (40mm/54mm)
The 'Jungle' sets include Wildebeest &/or Water Buffalo.
The 'Farm' sets have cattle.
I'm sure that, with a little Milliput (or similar) you could
approximate something suitable.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »
The one I like is Bears Head (sure I’ve seen it on here) and I’ve ordered one, but he only has one pose and I’m not even sure it’s available yet for despatch (website says March!)

I may have to settle for one.....hmmmph!

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 03:27:59 AM »

Reaper's Brass Bull might work. They don't look mechanical, more scaled than other and could work well for a Colchis bull...I've got two of the metal ones that are more metal painted due to being used as D&D Gorgons, but they still look a lot like metallic bulls

You might also want to consider Eureka's Aurochs, if you want a more realistic look.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
lovely stuff.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
Great stuff Digits. Got me looking at those Skellies. I was not needing 32 of them though... and then I'd need some hoplites …. I'll content myself for the time being with seeing how your project evolves (along with Peninsular Napoleonic, along with …).