Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:44:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 860
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How big can T&T go?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
How big can T&T go?
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting a set of T&T at Partizan this weekend, I've been very impressed with what I've seen on the net so far. 

Reading the battle reports on the website, it looks like 30+ figures a side gives a good game.  How big can it go?  Is it practical to go to 60, 80, 100+ figures a side, or does it become difficult to play at that scale?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

James

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: How big can T&T go?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting a set of T&T at Partizan this weekend, I've been very impressed with what I've seen on the net so far. 

Reading the battle reports on the website, it looks like 30+ figures a side gives a good game.  How big can it go?  Is it practical to go to 60, 80, 100+ figures a side, or does it become difficult to play at that scale?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

James

As co-designer and author of the SCW book, I would say that the "upper limit" is not defined by figure numbers, but rather the number of units employed.

In our games, we´ve found that a "breaking point" is around 4 Units per player, depending on how familiar the players are with the rules. If you use more units than 4, the turn might get a bit long and players might get bored. Our usual approach to fighting larger battles is organising the various sides into "teams", with each player using up to 4 units (usually, a hero, two squads and a vehicle for our SCW games), and a number of players grouped into a team; so you´ve got, say, two teams of two players, each player with ca. 30-40 figures, which amounts to ca. 60-80 figures per side, and around 150 on the table, less if you use vehicles in place of infantry units.

Glad to see you like our rules. I hope you have a lot of fun at Partizan!

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
we play often with 7 card for each player

something like these

1 hero, 1 car/tank, 1 support weapon, 4 units (10 man each)and it work fine for two Players .
For 4 players I use 4 cards .

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

former user

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »
I recently took part in a colonial game
while sharing my fraction with 6 units, 2 characters and 2 artillery with another player
when the other night my fellow failed to show up, I was pretty busy  and started to delay the game
so it is essential that every player has an equal number of cards and that everyone is prepared that the game will follow the pace of the force size

so if you want it to develop quickly, 4 cards is maximum
if you prefer a rather tactical approach, I would say go up to 10, but no more

per player of course
hardly ever seen rules so adaptable to this really paramount wargaming aspect

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »
It also depends on how experienced you are. We did our Darkest Africa Game on a huge table with 7 Players ( two palyers shared one force ). All gamers play T+T from the beginning ( they are all my local gametesters ) and are very experienced. The game was runnining fast.
For me - being the other designer -  I must say when I started to design the game I had 4 to 5 units per player ( Hero counts as a unit ) in mind. A typical platoon sized game.But Iam sure you can do larger games.
Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »
Ok, I think it could be the biggest Game in the World, even bigger than Warhammer!!! ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

former user

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
the day there is a wider spread and more often played ruleset than Warhammer, I shall open a case of johnny daniels

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
I will drink a bottle of Château d’If...