Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Operations in the Sudan (4/13/21; Captain pg. 6)  (Read 11632 times)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Re: British Naval Brigade vs.Royal Marines (first Rating painted, pg. 2)
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2020, 09:21:53 AM »
Cool!

Here’s a distillation of information about bayonets I gleaned from a Facebook group:

https://sandsofsoudan.blogspot.com/2020/10/martini-henry-rifle-bayonets-slings-and.html

As you’ll see, the hand guard on the cutlass bayonet wasn’t brass.

Cheers
JJ

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
Wow great to know. Thank you for that information. I’ve been referring to your blog on and off. I’ve noticed that the Empress minis do not seem to have the correct “kit”. Not a really big issue but still interesting. They seem to be missing the water bottle and bag.

I just finished the basecoat on my second two miniatures and will make sure they have the correct cutlass. I guess our first rating lucked out and got the fancy version. I’ve also seen that the tie is actually black, and there should be some sort of name plate of the ship on their caps.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »
I’ve noticed that the Empress minis do not seem to have the correct “kit”. Not a really big issue but still interesting. They seem to be missing the water bottle and bag.

The lack of water bottle and bag matches contemporary illustrations of what they purport to be, which is to say Naval Brigade in the Zulu War.  So they are fine for what they are being sold as (just thought I'd point that out for Empress' sake if for no other reason).

Looking forward to seeing more of your Jack Tars and Marines. Keep posting! :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »
Thanks Plynkes, I figured that was probably why they were modeled that way. I do like a little variation, and think in the dust and smoke of the battle nobody will question why they left their most precious resource (water) in camp.

I'm also building these not so much to model the Sudan Campaign, but to create a body of infantry to play Colonial Skirmish games. I'm trying to complete a unit before purchasing, moving on to the next, but that's hard for me. I'm a bit of a hobby squirrel, running to and fro.

Take care, more pictures once I've got them painted up.

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Wow great to know. Thank you for that information. I’ve been referring to your blog on and off.

You’re welcome. I now have a lot of figures primed, including a company of Naval Brigade and a company of RMLI. I hope to begin painting this side of Christmas.

… there should be some sort of name plate of the ship on their caps.

Yes, this would be the name of the vessel the sailors served in.

Cheers
JJ

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 09:43:22 PM »
This will be the complete first company for the naval brigade. I’m using a petty officer from the Perry range, and a lieutenant from the empress miniature range. I decided to include two Copplestone sailors because that’s what I needed to complete the full 20 man company. They actually scale quite well, compared to the Sennet hat giants.

I’ve finished one sailor as already posted. I went back and colored the sabre bayonet the correct color. Also added a ship name tag to his hat and got the sling colored correctly.

I’ve got two more in the works.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »
Here are the three completed ratings so far. I only have one more-based, and primered, so I’ll finish him up before getting everybody else ready to go.

I opted to go simple and only have a single white line on the back blue portion of the uniform. Actually what is that thing called? The light blue reverse bib? Anyway a single white line as opposed to the two it’s just easier for me to paint.

Also, Empress miniature in the middle, flanked by two Perry miniatures. They fit quite well together.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:35:17 PM by bc99 »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: British Naval Brigade vs.Royal Marines (more Ratings, pg. 3)
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 11:26:17 AM »
Oh Smashing! Coming along nicely.

I don't blame you at all for painting a single stripe. It's hard enough to get one to look neat, let alone more. But unfortunately it is worse than you think: In the British Royal Navy it is three stripes. I have heard some stuff about it commerorating three of Nelson's victories, but I believe that is, as Cousin Jonathan would put it: a load of hogwash. :)

Viewed from any kind of distance the three stripes look like one thick one anyway, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Oh, and I believe the thing in question is just called a collar. I've seen it referred to as a flap collar and a square-back collar, but if it has an official term I don't know what it is.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:29:41 AM by Plynkes »

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »
I am nearing the need to consider how to paint the collars … three stripes or one 🤔

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2020, 02:27:02 AM »
I can’t wait to see your naval brigade JJ.

And we’ll call it a square-back collar, sounds rather naval Plynkes.

Here’s the fourth painted Rating. They took this lad straight out of the boiler room, gave him a rifle and set him on the shore party! He’s a big one!

I finished basing up another 14 or so, after that I will get them primered. Then to finish the last two but I need more bases.

I’ve got one sailor aiming his rifle, I believe I will try and take a crewmember from an empress miniatures Gatling gun and convert him a bit to another sailor advancing.

Edit: the proper name may be flap collar. There must be some Royal Navy vets here that can put us straight.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 05:35:56 AM by bc99 »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2020, 09:18:02 AM »
I'll throw 'square rig collar', and the more straightforward and obvious 'naval collar' and 'sailor's collar' into the pot, as I've heard and seen all of those too. :)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
I absolutely concur with the point that painting 3 stripes on the collar would be pointless - it's hard enough painting one neatly, which you have managed very well, I must say.
I think they look absolutely excellent! Keep 'em coming!

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
I'll throw 'square rig collar', and the more straightforward and obvious 'naval collar' and 'sailor's collar' into the pot, as I've heard and seen all of those too. :)

My understanding is that ‘rig’ was the uniform of the day, and seems to have included equipment. For example, here’s a painting of a rating described as ‘landing rig’ (1883)

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/13790.html

Square rig seems to mean ratings dressed as seamen, rather than dressed as stewards or cooks, say.

not to be confused with a configuration of sails and rigging.

Here’s an official piece on navy uniforms, where the collar is called the ‘Sailor’s collar’

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20101208211750/http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/uniforms-and-badges-of-rank/the-history-of-rating-uniforms/index.htm

None of which is entirely conclusive in nomenclature terms …

Cheers
JJ

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 07:20:20 AM »
Three more ratings painted for a total of 7, photos taken in my airbrush/priming/dull coat box. I actually realized I need to add the ship name so I’ll do that before dull coating.

I’ve already picked out the next three and will include a petty officer. That will be half a platoon (per TSATF).

Take care all, the holidays were busy, I’ll post more soon.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 05:32:56 AM »
Closer shot of one of the newer ratings. I love these miniatures from Empress. They have a lot of personality.