Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Operations in the Sudan (4/13/21; Captain pg. 6)  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: British Naval Brigade vs.Royal Marines (more Ratings, pg. 3)
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 06:27:43 AM »
Great work! I have always had an interest in marines, naval infantry and landing parties. Your painting brings those figures to life.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 06:12:19 PM »
Thank you Rick.

I'll most likely change this topic to my "colonial adventures" log. Until then, I'll definitely be concentrating on my naval brigade and RMLI.

I recently made a large Perry miniature and Empress purchase. After the sailors in round hats I'll be painting up 20 sailors in sennet hats (from Empress). I'll include a couple of naval machine guns, as well as attached officers, etc.

My hope is to have 40 naval brigade, 20 RMLI, guns, and officers for a game set in the Red Sea Littoral. They will of course be facing brave tribesman from the area.

Take care!

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
I’ve painted every day this week; just a little here, a little there.

I’ve got two more ratings and a petty officer. That’s ten Naval Brigade, we’re well on our way now.

For my petty officer, I’m fairly certain he would wear red stripes on his left arm, how many? Anything else? He’s the Sergeant of the unit if you will, per TSATF rules.

He’s ready to sound Stand To with his boatswains whistle, if they did such a thing!

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Re: British Naval Brigade vs.Royal Marines (more Ratings, pg. 4)
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
Lovely!

My first company is primed … just need to assemble the Gatling guns and the limber … then I can get stuck into the painting.

Been distracted by a handful of scenic items and modelling a Mahdist battery of captured mountain guns.

I need to get back into the habit of doing a little each day.

Cheers
JJ

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: British Naval Brigade vs.Royal Marines (more Ratings, pg. 4)
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2021, 08:52:58 PM »
Thanks Jones, I’ve been following your blog as well and am impressed you’ve got some nice buildings going and have assembled a start of the Mahdist forces.

Today I decided to work on a little bit of area terrain. I was quite surprised with how the Sudan looked, especially how inhospitable. Obviously I knew it was an arid desert, but still it was very stark.

Now this isn’t to say uninhabitable, people have been living in extreme climates forever obviously. I mean a European army most likely using uncomfortable uniforms, heavy equipment, and facing extremes of heat and lack of water operating in such terrain.

After starting this project I’ve picked up quite a few books on the campaign, including Go Strong into the Desert, which has some modern photographs of the battlefields. I also watched a documentary on a gentleman who walked the length of the Nile, spending some time in the area of some of our battles. I will base my area terrain on some of those photos, as well as internet searches for the Sudan.

I live in California and have spent much time in our deserts, including near Death Valley. The Sudan as seen in some of those photographs appears very similar. I’m impressed by the resiliency and strength of the armies that fought in that land so long ago.

More to follow, I’m quite a novice at terrain building. Here are some pieces of MDF I was planning to use for fantasy terrain quite a while ago. A tower was going to be placed on the black base, and I repurposed some other MDF for use in this project.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Operations in the Sudan (new thread title 1/16/21; more Ratings, pg. 4)
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:39 PM »
Some terrain.

For the area terrain, I created matchstick armatures for the lichen “mimosa” bushes. As the lichen will undoubtedly be destroyed during gaming I thought it would be better to be able to replace it than try to keep it permanently affixed.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Operations in the Sudan (some terrain, pg. 4)
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
More Ratings. I’ve got two more primed I’ll paint, and the I need to prime up another batch. I’ve been tryin to paint daily, so taking little bits by bits to slowly build up the collection.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Operations in the Sudan (1/25/21 More Ratings pg. 4)
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2021, 03:32:32 PM »
Naval ratings are looking great! Good job on the terrain as well. I’ve been gaming the Sudan since the mid 80’s and it never gets boring. Will you be making or buying gunboats & dhows? Your Naval landing troops would appreciate the support  ;)

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2021, 05:19:45 PM »
Thank you!

I've always been interested in the Little Wars of the Victorian Age, and the Sudan has definitely caught my attention.

I am going to be picking up some gunships down the line, for use in the Sudan and elsewhere. I'd like to keep plodding along with the infantry to start, and then move on to the likes of guns, cavalry, and finally ships and other goodies.

Do you have any manufacturer recommendations?

Take care, I've got another 2 ratings on the painting line, and need to finish undercoating more minis for my next go around.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »
Ok a couple more ratings finished. Now I really have to do some priming. These are Empress and Perry miniatures.

I also figured a good objective in the harsh climate of the Sudan would be a well of some sort. I’ve finished up this piece of terrain for just that reason.

Now as soon as I can get some more minis primed up I’ll be on the back stretch for finishing up my first colonial squad. I’m very excited this has been years in the making.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Operations in the Sudan (1/31/21 more Ratings and terrain pg. 4)
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2021, 09:54:01 AM »
Lovely! Good to see this is moving forward. Look forward to even more.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
Nice touch with the hoof prints.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »
Nice touch with the hoof prints.

Thank you, this was actually a pre-cast resin piece that I purchased from Miniature Market for about $4.50. I picked up several of the pieces as they're nice little vignettes, and the detail is fine. I used craft paint, some home made wash, and placed some tufts/scatter on the base to liven it up a little. I painted the water with metallic blue and green paint, and then added successive layers of water effects.

Thanks Plynkes, this project has become quite the rabbit hole with the books and reading that comes with diving into a new area of interest.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »
Some more terrain. I wanted to create some raised ground, so I made a hill and two outcrops. As I plan to game operations near Suakin I wanted to represent some of the hilly range inland from the coast.

And now, a step back in time; Sudan, the mid 1880s, south of Suakin, the Red Sea Littoral.

Newly landed sailors scout some rocky outcrops outside their main camp, as initial elements of the landing party observed movement in the area.

Emerging from some broken ground the ratings fix bayonets.

Rating Jones moves forward, leading the scouting party.

Until next week, I’ve finally got the last few minis for this unit primered. I can’t wait to see what they will look like once complete and all grouped together.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Operations in the Sudan (2/6/21, new terrain pg. 4)
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
Three more ratings. I’m getting close to one full squad for TSATF.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:29:57 AM by bc99 »