Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ultracast 15mm figures and Mortem Et Glorium from Plastic Soldier Company  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
A quick first impressions blog post on the Mortem Et Glorium ancient / medieval rules by Simon Hall and Published by Plastic Soldier Company.

Also a look at the new plastic material 'Ultracast' that PSC are using on their 15mm figures that support the MeG rules.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/11/ultracast-figures-and-mortem-et-gloriam.html

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
Re: Ultracast 15mm figures and Mortem Et Glorium from Plastic Soldier Company
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:01:00 PM »
Great review by the way. I look forward to hearing of your experiences playing them. Nicely done chariots as well.

Offline pikeman

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 12:34:43 AM »
The review you wrote is very good. I’m very impressed with MeG, and eagerly waiting for the ReG variant.
I’ve also bought a PSC Ultracast Goth Pacto box. The announcement of Ultracast figures made me look forward to them, but I’m a bit let down by the quality of what I bought. I’d go so far as to speculate that the factory is in too much of a rush to monitor what’s coming out of the molds. If I had inspected these in a retail store it would not have been a sale. Injection molding is a fussy process and I think they need to be more careful.
I am still working with them, and they’re painting up OK, but won’t be up to the Forged in Battle figures they will be sharing the table with.
Cheers!
Pflugerville, Texas.
Gem of the Blackland Prairie!

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 06:44:33 AM »
I would like to see how this material is used by another mass producer. I read somewhere that Warlord Games use the same stuff and call it Warlord Resin.They will be producing some additions to their new 'Epic' line up, which are 13.5mm foot to eye, so it will be interesting to compare.

I note on the PSC site the price of a box has gone up from £35 to £40 - I wonder whether that is one of the consequences of the trade situation with Europe (material source) since Brexit and also the new V.A.T. collection rules that coincide.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
I would like to see how this material is used by another mass producer. I read somewhere that Warlord Games use the same stuff and call it Warlord Resin.They will be producing some additions to their new 'Epic' line up, which are 13.5mm foot to eye, so it will be interesting to compare.

I note on the PSC site the price of a box has gone up from £35 to £40 - I wonder whether that is one of the consequences of the trade situation with Europe (material source) since Brexit and also the new V.A.T. collection rules that coincide.

That’s an awful lot of money for a few plastic sprues. 

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 05:23:39 PM »

PSC and Warlord are using a machine from Siocast and Siocast plastic - weirdly renaming to their own name.

Gripping Beast have also just started using the same technology.

It lets you do low runs of injection plastic in a silicon mould - so mould costs are a lot lower.

What I have seen of it seems to show that it is better for larger models rather than very small ones, but I see that PSC are busy signing up various people to produce "ultracast" versions of their metal ranges...

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 07:25:36 PM »
The ones I have seen have pretty significant mould lines. 

In the end, they are still just plastic.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 08:56:44 PM »
The ones I have seen have pretty significant mould lines. 

In the end, they are still just plastic.

Wonder if you can file the lines down like the hard plastic or have to shave them like the softer more malleable sort?

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »

Wonder if you can file the lines down like the hard plastic or have to shave them like the softer more malleable sort?

From what I’ve read you have to cut it down. No scraping.

Offline pikeman

• Assistant
I wanted to follow up my previous post with an update. PSC in England sent me a replacement box after I contacted them. I thought that as very customer-centric. However, with the exception of the four command figures, the rest were just as mediocre as the first batch. Not worth the time to paint.
I will not be getting any more of these, which is too bad. I had high hopes for this collection.
Pete