Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tabletop Simulator  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Captain Gars

• Assistant
Tabletop Simulator
« on: November 30, 2020, 03:28:55 AM »
I saw a thing on Steam called "Tabletop Simulator".  It purports to allow 2 or more people to play board games. 

The advertisements mention that there are many board games that have been created by fans of the system. Has anyone seen some war games (similar to the old Avalon Hill or SPI games) created?

My main interest would be as the setting for a miniatures campaign. If you know about this program, do you think it could be used for the map on which to play a campaign?

Thanks.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tabletop Simulator
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:49:34 AM »
I've tried it a couple of times and always been fed-up with it...but I'm sure some solid users will hop in here with quality advice.

Only game I've tried on occasion is Hero Quest and the controls are just too fiddly to be worth my time.  All the content is user-created if I'm correct...so your mileage may vary depending on what you're looking at.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »
There are a lot of people playing DBA, ADLG on TTS.

Find Facebook and Discord groups by searching for Tabletop Simulator.

The guys have made great ADLG stuff, loads of armies and e.g. Put of the box table with classic match up ready to go;)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
Yep, there are an increasing number of figure-based games available.

I've even been doing some 'video' battle reports in which I record (and greatly speed up!) the game play and then add some a commentary over the top. It does hopefully give a view of what playing a game is like

https://youtu.be/SZ6tzNkwEe4 for one I did last month
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline HardrivenRC

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 10:51:54 PM »
I bought TTS about 6 weeks ago to act as a substitute for Tabletop wargaming as where I live we have not been allowed to play in our club since March.
My first foray in it was to make a Bolt Action table that is perfect for doing initiation games. I've got 3 people started in Bolt Action in 6 weeks.
I then decided to make a Dux Brittaniarum table as that game is one of my favorites. Regretfully I have been unable to find an adversary since the table was made 4 weeks ago.
Having done a few games now I've come to the conclusion that it is a very good substitute for the real deal. It does take a bit of getting used to, but the learning curve is not that high. For voice chat I use Discard as the in game voice chat of TTS is very laggy.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 11:26:29 PM »
My club play TTS weekly. We have played a number of games but have found that ones which are simple in terms of graphics etc usually play best - lots of WW2 board Wargames usually. This seems to be down to the pc's/laptops and capabilities of local broadband. Sometimes things just don't seem to work.

Figure games which have worked for us as a group (usually 4-5 players) include zombiecide and heroquest. Other games either don't have the number of players to allow us to play as a group, or don't seem run smoothly without one or more of us getting disconnnected every few minutes.

We are giving vassal a try now.

To help play we run a zoom call and take this on phones/ iPads while paying TTS on laptops. This means we get to see each other and talk as well as play.

it's not ideal but it gets us together virtually once a week.

Keen to hear others experiences and tips, especially for multiplayer figure games.