Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old Skool 40K- Part 1: Space Sharks: The Company Assembled (15/08)  (Read 42836 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Contents:

Page   Content                                                            (Figures in faction painted so far)

PART ONE: SPACE SHARKS MARINE CHAPTER

01      Introduction, First painted Brothers), WIP of conversions/rescues. (Painted so far:5)
02      More painted Brothers, first Squad complete, Chaplain painted. (9)
03      Vehicle preview, more painted Brothers, Apothecary and Librarian painted. (23)
04      More conversions/rescues, more painted Brothers. (29)
05      Dread #1 WIP, More painted Brothers (35)
06      More conversion, The first 5 Squads on parade (47)
07      Dread #1 arms WIP, Dread #1 Painted.
08      First Devastator Squad painted (55)
09      More conversions, Backpacks painted.
10      More Brothers painted, Second Devastator Squad minus weapons (61)
11      Group shot in cabinet (67)
12      Conversions, More painted Brothers. (77)
13      First Assault Squad with Jump Packs added
14      More Brothers painted , 2nd Assault with Jump Packs, Heavy Weapons, Termies WIP.(83)
15      Terminators painted, Scouts WIP and Painted. (97)
16      Close-up Scout pics, Cabinet shot, Dread #2 WIP, Champion and Librarian painted (99)
17      Dread #2 WIP, Company Standard WIP.
18      Dread #2 painted, cabinet shot,
19      Company Standard painted, Command Squad so far. (100)
20      Techmarines painted (105), Land raider
21      Terminators and Land Raider, Predator WIP
22      Predator finished, Vindicator, Apothecarium Rhino
23      Company Captain WIP, Captain Finished (106), Head Techmarine (107)
24      The Whole Company Assembled!

PART ONE: SPACE SHARKS

Having been procrastinating about starting a Space Marine Chapter for ages and finally got it down to two options, Mentor Legion or Carcharadons, I have opted for the Space Sharks for two reasons.

Firstly, my first Space Marines, way back in '87 when they first came out, were grey (the Dogs of War) and I fancied resurrecting that scheme to some degree as even then I could never understand why someone would dress in a bright suit of armour to run around in and make it easier to be shot at!

Secondly, a Facebook group that I am in, The Monthly White Dwarf Painting Challenge (where you pick one figure featured in the designated Issue of the month to paint) had a Space Marine that had been sitting in my pile for ages which had been painted in Space Sharks desert camo, so I took that as a 'Sign!'.

So, here they are: My first five (well, I was not going to just paint one, was I?) in various mismatched armour patterns appropriate to the Carcharadon background....

This lot are all old school metals that I had back in the day (in fact, the fella with the big hair is the first Space Marine I ever painted so he had to go in the first batch) with the fella in the centre being the one that featured in the White Dwarf that was the November 'Challenge' issue.

The various patterns on their armour is my take on the 'tribal etchings' described in the novels.

I also got a little carried away and attempted a bit of freehand Chapter insignia on a couple of the pads, one bearing the Carcharadons Chapter symbol and another with a set of skeletal shark jaws. Not great but they will do.
The rest will have to wait for heraldry until I get my hands on some transfers as I do not think I will be attempting mure more freehand on those tiny shoulder pads!
Future additions will include more old school figures from the pile, along with a few of the more recent plastic kits featuring Mk4 and 5 armour patterns amongst others. The rather ramshackle appearance of the Carcharadons also allows me to mix and match and convert to my hearts content, which suits me just fine.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:49:19 PM by Mason »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Carcharadons Astra Space Marine Chapter (Old School RT figures)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »
 8)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
Old school cool  8)

Should’ve gone for Mentor Legion though  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:24:35 PM »
The Old Space Marines look SPLENDID in their new style paint jobs. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
Old school cool  8)

Phooey, Space Sharks all the way!
Nice work mate :-* Must do some more of mine.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »
Excellent stuff mate! Despite all these newfangled miniatures I still like the old stuff. Rogue Trader Rules!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »
Thanks, chaps.
 :)

lol
It was close, I tell ya, but I figured that I could always add a few Mentor Legion later as an attachment.
Having just read Spear of the Emperor, which features a Mentor Legion character and his helots, I almost caved.
Worth a read too if you fancy a bit of Mentor fluff.

Phooey, Space Sharks all the way!
Nice work mate :-* Must do some more of mine.

lol
Indeed.
I look forward to seeing more yours.

Excellent stuff mate! Despite all these newfangled miniatures I still like the old stuff. Rogue Trader Rules!

With you all the way!
There will be no Primark maureens in this force, I tell ya!
 :D

I also got a little carried away and attempted a bit of freehand Chapter insignia on a couple of the pads, one bearing the Carcharadons Chapter symbol and another with a set of skeletal shark jaws. Not great but they will do.
The rest will have to wait for heraldry until I get my hands on some transfers as I do not think I will be attempting much more freehand on those tiny shoulder pads!

Speaking of the freehand, here is a shot of the chaps in the jungle along with a close up of the shark jaws and the startled salmon on their pads.

As I said before, not great, but those shoulder pads are tiny and curved, so not too easy.....

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
Re: Carcharadons Astra/Space Sharks (Old School RT figures)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »
Some cool old Rogue Trader goodness. Before Space Marines sold out and went al Primaris-sy.
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Carcharadons Astra/Space Sharks (Old School RT figures)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 04:48:52 PM »
Some cool old Rogue Trader goodness. Before Space Marines sold out and went al Primaris-sy.

Exactly!
 :D

Anyway, here are a few more chaps from the pipeline.
This time they are 'rescue jobs': Marines that I picked up in a damaged lot that I felt were perfectly salvageable, especially given the nature of this project. I have a few more somewhere but cannot find them at the moment....

The addition of a few parts from the bits box and a small amount of green stuff and they should fit right in....

I know one of them is not exactly 'old skool' but he will be allowed as I quite like the figure.
(And I will probably add a few more figures that are more recent, but there will be no Primark Marines at all!)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Carcharadons Astra/Space Sharks: Marine Rescue! (25/03)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 12:43:18 PM »
Given the rather haphazard mix of armour and weapon types used by the Carcharadons/Space Sharks in the published fluff*, which was one of the reasons that helped me decide on choosing them as a project, I have been picking up damaged Rogue Trader era miniatures with the intent of converting them with different equipment to help reflect this.

I finally made a start on some of them, using a mix of old and new plastics and green stuff to give them a new lease of life.
Some of you may recognise the original donor figures from various releases from the early years of 40K.

Here are the first batch...

The first group above featured three of the same figure, which I decided to convert slightly to add some variation.
This mainly consists of adding the odd armour plate and rivet here and there, so nothing too major.

The other two figures are a Chaplain that was missing his head and arm and a Medic that had had his hand cut/snapped off.

The Chaplain received a new head that looked appropriate and an early RTB01 arm, along with a newer plastic Boltgun of a different design. This conversion also allowed for a bit more movement from the original flatter pose. A small amount of green stuff was used to cover the blood drop on his chest plate.
The Medic had the remainder of his left arm removed at the elbow. Another early plastic arm and newer plasma pistol were then added and the disfigured Medic insignia on his shoulder pad was smoothed over with green stuff to make a new assault Marine.

The second picture shows those that received a little more conversion than most of the first.
The fella on the left was converted from the same donor figure as the three identical figures in the first picture. His chainsword had been snapped of at some point so needed a fair bit of reworking to rescue.
He had his original hands and head removed, which resulted in most of the chest area being cut away too.
This meant the area had to be reworked with green stuff and a new chestplate being sculpted (which cannot be seen from this angle...).
He then had plastic arms added and his damaged shoulder pads repaired before receiving a new head.
The second figure was much more straightforward as he only needed a new head, so he got a earlier 'MK' of helmet from one of the new plastic sets.

The middle figure began life as a 'Christmas Marine, who was missing his head, one arm and his beer tankard!
These were again replaced with newer plastic versions and his shoulder pad repaired.

The forth figure had no arms, so was given new ones, again from the new plastic options.

The final figure was again the victim of 'snapped chainsword syndrome', so he also had his hands cut away to be replaced by plastics, this time a flamer. This was relatively easy as the new pose and weapons cover the damaged areas really well. so there was no need for major green stuff work on him. Bonus!
I rather like this change as the pose looks good for a chap spitting fire, as I imagine most would lean away from the business end of a flamethrower.

Anyway, that little lot should keep me busy for a while while I search out some more old Marines in need of some TLC.
 ;)

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 01:39:18 PM »
Awesome! I read the Space Sharks novels last year. Really cool. Nice work!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 01:50:53 PM »
Nice job on those minis 👍

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 03:59:27 PM »
Awesome! Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

I always loved the old Space Sharks, and these guys are just that, but with a cooler name 8)

And good thing you picked them over the Mentor Legion, as I have been contemplating them for my recently recovered box of RTB01 marines. the box has seen better days, but the contents are still as new (on the sprue).

I've held on to that box for ages, but never could decide on a chapter for them. I could recreate my old (enamel) black Dark Angels, or go the poster boy route with either Blood Angels or Ultramarines, or do something a bit more out there, like Lamenters, Mantis Warriors or Mentor Legion.

But when I casually opened my copy of the old Compendium not too long ago, Chapter Master Nisk Ran-Thawll looked at me from his two page spread while suiting up, and I knew then and there that I should go ahead with the 888th chapter...

Anyway; will you be adding to this force to make it a full fledged 40K/RT army, or will it be more of a skirmish unit? Any vehicle plans?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
Great rescue jobs on the marines. My favourite is the fourth marine in the second pic. Not only do I love the original sculpt with his bionic head and rebreather, but the added bolter arms look perfect for the pose.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 10:56:14 PM »
Thanks, chaps.
Much appreciated.

Awesome! I read the Space Sharks novels last year. Really cool. Nice work!

I really enjoyed them and the story behind them appealed, as did the colour scheme, and they really helped sway my choice.

Daeothar: I will be doing a Mentor Legion squad (at least( as I am currently 'in negotiations; regarding some sets of 'experimental' Terminator Armour that fit the bill perfectly.

Anyway; will you be adding to this force to make it a full fledged 40K/RT army, or will it be more of a skirmish unit? Any vehicle plans?

No 'plan' with this project, just adding to them as and when I get figures that fit. There are already nearly 30 in the queue already...
As for vehicles: I am probably going to go down the 'proper RT' route and make some scratchbuilt/converted vehicles from model kits and toys...unless an old Land Raider magically appears in my hands somehow!

Great rescue jobs on the marines. My favourite is the fourth marine in the second pic. Not only do I love the original sculpt with his bionic head and rebreather, but the added bolter arms look perfect for the pose.

He is a close second to flamer-boy, in my opinion, as he has a gret noggin. Flamer-boy just edges it for me as I thought he would be a pig to convert but, once the arms were cut away, his pose just felt right for the weapon.