Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old Skool 40K- Part 1: Space Sharks: The Company Assembled (15/08)  (Read 42825 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Old Skool Space Sharks Marine Chapter: Second Devastator Squad... (15/09)
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »
Nice  8)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2021, 12:12:27 PM »
Great  8)

What vehicles have you got in mind?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »
Thanks, chaps.
 :)

What vehicles have you got in mind?

Well, I have a couple of Rhinos, a Predator and a Land Speeder, along with a couple of toys to convert, already.
Oh, and a couple more Dreads to do, so that should keep me busy for a while.

I am also considering either scratchbuilding a Land Raider or searching out what is available in the 3rd party market, as the originals RT ones are daft money these days.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »
I am also considering either scratchbuilding a Land Raider or searching out what is available in the 3rd party market, as the originals RT ones are daft money these days.

You can buy a RT Land Raider for less than a modern one costs, but admittedly that's still not very cheap... It's also a very frustrating and time-consuming experience trying to get one for even that price.  :?

I would certainly consider scratchbuilding it, as it is an iconic vehicle for the marines, and it's fortunately not overly-complex on details. If you would like any dimensions, either of the vehicle or any of its details, I would be happy to assist you with them! :-)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:37 PM »
I would certainly consider scratchbuilding it, as it is an iconic vehicle for the marines, and it's fortunately not overly-complex on details. If you would like any dimensions, either of the vehicle or any of its details, I would be happy to assist you with them! :-)

I agree, 100%
The Land Raider is so iconic that it does need to be there.
The only problem with getting one second hand is the paint may well be a sod to remove, given the size of the thing.
Not like I can just drop it in Dettol like I do with the figures.

I would like to take you up on the dimensions of the tank, the track parts being the main issue, especially as they are key to the image of the thing.
If you (or anyone) know any links to templates etc, so that I can get the thing done right, I am confident that I can make a decent fist of it.
Cheers.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:59:23 PM by Mason »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2021, 04:41:03 PM »
Paul this might be of interest to you regarding land raiders

http://nico-realmsofchaos.blogspot.com/2021/04/world-eaters-land-raider.html

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2021, 04:59:47 PM »
Paul this might be of interest to you regarding land raiders

http://nico-realmsofchaos.blogspot.com/2021/04/world-eaters-land-raider.html

Cheers, mate.
Much appreciated!
 :D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2021, 11:53:00 AM »
The only problem with getting one second hand is the paint may well be a sod to remove, given the size of the thing.
Not like I can just drop it in Dettol like I do with the figures.
You can use a small cheap 1" house-painting brush to work some Biostrip all over it and then drop it into a tupperware box or sandwich bag for 24 hours though. After that, a scrub with an old toothbrush in hot water and dishsoap, and most of the paint is gone. I usually find a second application of Biostrip for a longer period (a few days) gets rid of almost anything remaining. Additionally, the prolonged strip will soften or dissolve any superglue, so depending on how the tank was assembled, it can save you some disassembly/correction work too. Whilst a tub of Biostrip is not very cheap, it does go a long way and is unbelievably effective on nearly anything I've tried it on. Beware though; whilst it's totally safe on plastics and metals, it will eat through most glues, resin, and putty (and most kinds of gloves, including nitrile).

I would like to take you up on the dimensions of the tank, the track parts being the main issue, especially as they are key to the image of the thing.
If you (or anyone) know any links to templates etc, so that I can get the thing done right, I am confident that I can make a decent fist of it.
Cheers.
My LR is in the stripper at the moment, so I'll tell you what: When it comes out, I'll do a before-and-after pic for you to show you how well the Biostrip works, and I'll also get some good side/front/top shots marked up with lots of dimensions for you. You'll need to give me until the weekend, but that should be doable for me in that time (and hopefully helpful for anybody else who reads this too!).

I reckon you'll need some thick 2mm plasticard for the track housings and the main body, and I'd do the projecting side parts in this too. Detail work, hatches, etc., can all be done in regular 0.75mm stuff. Rivets in your preferred method, and things like top hatches could come from either a classic Rhino or the old 2E IG tank accessories.

For the sponsons in the original style, a 25mm plastic base plus some 2mm plasticard will get you mostly there, and brass rod for the actual weapon support. The guns could be either from suitable toys (old Zoids were popular back in the day), or scratch-built. As long as each gun has a body, a barrel, a recognisably "lascannon" muzzle, and some greebles, I don't think the actual gun design matters too much. Of course, other alternatives are a boxy-style sponson like the IG tanks (and the old metal-plastic 2E Predators), or even modern Predator sponsons with an extra lascannon added to each. I've seen various conversions and scratchbuilds over the years with all of these different options, and I honestly think they all look good and "plausible".

As for the tracks, I found these (ebay link here) a long while back, which seemed to be a really good match for the old RT LR tracks. I have no idea what the shipping/duty costs are like these days, but back when I got them I found them to be well packed and neatly cast. They do other sizes suitable for Rhinos/Leman Russes, and for big vehicles like Bane Blades too, and all three sizes in different styles too - I just happened to like the plain classic ones.

I also have another proposal for you to save you making all the tracks link-by-link or having to buy them from abroad. However, I will need to check that what I have in mind actually works properly first, and will send you a PM with details if it does. :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »
Cheers. Major_Gilbear, for all the helpful tips and suggestions.
I already have a plan on how to build the thing but all suggestions are most useful, especia;;y anything that saves time, like that track link.

What I really need are the dimensions, especially of the sides as that is the most distinct feature.
As I will not be trying to build an exact copy it will most be for guidance to get the appearance of the thing right.
I look forward to seeing what you do.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Old Skool Space Sharks Marine Chapter: The Company so far... (16/09)
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
I have decided to try and finish getting all ten basic infantry squads finished before being diverted onto vehicles (it helps me stay focused!).
So far I have the equivalent to eight of the Squads painted up. along with a Dread and a few characters, so not far to go with that initial target now.

Here are those that have been finished so far sitting in their cabinet...

And from a slight angle to show that there are actually two rows of troops in those Squads!

Once the last sixteen troops (and two Lascannons) are completed there are still a few more to do:  the rest of the officers in the Command Squad (Captain, Champion, Standard etc). an attached Terminator Squad (Red Brethren), the Company Scouts and a Techmarine Section.

So still quite a few more infantry figures to paint before they are done, but these will be alternated with the vehicle for variety.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2021, 02:03:59 PM »
Very impressive!  :o

I don't think I remember reading it in your thread, but is there any particular reason why the squads are all 8 models rather than 10?

I already have a plan on how to build the thing but all suggestions are most useful, especially anything that saves time, like that track link.

[...]

What I really need are the dimensions, especially of the sides as that is the most distinct feature.
No problem!

I should be able to get all those easily enough for you.  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2021, 02:10:41 PM »
Very impressive!  :o

Cheers!

I don't think I remember reading it in your thread, but is there any particular reason why the squads are all 8 models rather than 10?

I based this Company on the one in the novels, which only had seventy-odd Marines due to attrition, so my Squads were all going to have either seven or eight Marines in them. I settled on eight as it is easier to keep track of what I need to acquire.
(It also makes it a little easier to finish and I can always go back and add a few more Marines later if I fancy it).

I should be able to get all those easily enough for you.  :)

Cheers!
 :D

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
Impressive chapter :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Have you got an opponent?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2021, 09:57:58 PM »
Superb  :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2021, 11:21:22 PM »
Thanks, chaps.
Much appreciated.

Have you got an opponent?

Not yet. mate.
Not that I am bothered as this is mostly just a vanity modelling project that I promised myself I would get around to one day.
If they never get used I won't mind, I will know that I have finally done what I set out to do.
 ;)