Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I finally finished my hobby room - New temporary table!  (Read 3430 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: I finally finished my hobby room. Yay! (Pics back online)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
It's a lovely room and only fitting that the first battle we fought in it went to you.
It's been a long road indeed and hopefully mine will take less time.

In the meantime we can finally do some real serious gaming again.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »
Great set up and I like the old library theme. One day, should I own a house, I hope to have such a nice room, too.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 01:20:13 PM »
well, apart from the subject / content - I loved reading jus' because it's so well-written!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
Cheers guys  8)

And Bloggard; thanks for the kind words  :)

A little more progress today. I received the display cabinets last Saturday, and managed to sand and paint the back walls of the cabinets.

I had the exact same colour mixed up as I put on the wall 8 years ago, but there is a small colour difference nonetheless. Could be the discolouring of the wall paint over time, or the fact that it was latex based and this is laquer.

No biggy though; I explain that away by blaming the slight colouration of the glass...  :D

I assembled them all four this evening and hung them in their intended place. The result is pretty awesome; I even surprised myself with the effect! It adds a definite museumlike quality to the room.

Which is nice.

Originally, I wanted them in white but those were sold out (never to return I was lead to believe), so I decided to compromise and go for this medium wood finish.

And I'm glad I did; I don't think white would have looked half as good!

Now, left to do, before I can start populating them, is leveling them, put in the shelves, put in LED lighting (strips on each shelf), and the addition of an over-pressure system, to keep out the dust.

But in the meantime, I'm well chuffed with how they turned out...  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:35:06 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Re: I finally finished my hobby room - Display cabinets installed
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 10:31:14 PM »
A glorious room in the making!

Really makes me want to get a dedicated gaming room myself, alas living room in my city is sparse, the downsides of living in a metropolis. Ah, I would love to move to "the country" in the future... your room really evokes the feeling of a comfy museum. Love that!

The overpressure system sounds a bit overengineered though. I would use a brush  :D

"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:29 AM »
Very nice room indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 01:57:25 PM »
Small update.

This weekend, I collected two steel tool cabinets from my parents' place, as my father no longer needs them. They would have been scrapped otherwise, so I volunteered to disassemble and collect them.

My initial idea was to use them in the garage, to finally have ample space to put all my (power)tools, so I wouldn't have to move half my inventory every time I needed a specific drill bit or screwdriver.

But when I saw how my father had maintained one , in two halves, back to back, as an easy platform where he can place the tools he's using at the time, while his project is over on another work surface, inspiration struck.

So when I came home, instead of assembling them in the garage as intended, I instead put some felt pads underneath the legs of three halves and made a very sturdy base for my gaming table instead!

I had previously (as a placeholder) put my table on two tressles, which I had increased the height off, with some blocks on top. But the very cheap tressles were already falling apart after a couple of months of walking into them. Besides; the surface was ever so much too low to comfortably game on while standing up.

The playing surface is now at 101cm exactly (97cm cabinet, 1cm table surface, 3cm gaming module), a big improvement over the previous 85cm...

Bear in mind that this too, is a placeholder though.

But I estimate that the eventual hardwood, foldable table is still quite some time off, so until that time comes, this will be a comfortable solution :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:03:50 PM by Daeothar »