Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Turnip28 - Skirmish Wargaming in a Post Apocalyptic Napoleonic Setting!  (Read 21104 times)

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Re: Turnip28 - Skirmish Wargaming in a Post Apocalyptic Napoleonic Setting!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 08:22:38 PM »
..totally bonkers but great!! :)

This...absolutely this. Love the very unusual vibe.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
This is turning out one of my favourite threads, cracking looking figures, totally bonkers but great!! :)

Thank you good Sir! Really happy you're enjoying the journey into the T28 madness  ;)
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
This...absolutely this. Love the very unusual vibe.

Apparently they kitted themselves out whilst shopping at some mad genius' Scrap Yard.........  ;)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 08:52:14 PM »
Great work on these. I've had a couple of units of infantry on the go for too long. I might just have to get back to these soon.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 04:08:39 PM »
Hello once again!

Painting and basing has now been completed on the unit of 12 Fodder! Once again I used oil paints and this time around I wanted to add some details and definitions, so I went to work with some Enamel Washes. Enamel washes are great, in particular, for Turnip28 as once dry they leave a chalky/dusty effect.

"Dear Journal, it's been two weeks since we left the ruins in the north; that's where I found the pictures or paintings as they were called, of the strange woman; I found two of the same! I wanted to give thanks to the Great Root for the find so I begun to pay homage by drawing on my favourite root, the Carrot. One of the lads who is more well versed than I gasped when he saw what I was doing! He said the ruins must have been the 'Loov-Ra' or something like that and that the pictures were very valuable once; he also said they kept two copies, the original and another for the people to look at......... If the original is worth something, I hope my artistic homage was done on the copy as I'm thinking of trading in the original for a bag of potatoes and some carrots of course....."

The banner was printed onto Japanese Rice Paper. I like using this type of paper for banners as it prints out in great quality and if you have a two sided flag that you glued together you can manipulate it whilst it's drying to give off the effect of movement in the wind.

And lastly, here's a group shot of the project so far:

I hope you like the latest instalment and next up on the work bench will be a menacing unit of 'Brutes' - a 6 man unit of heavy infantry.

Stay tuned for more!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »
So the "penguin" became a Carroteer!  :D
Really, I like that one best and the story with Immuna-Liza is a one with ROOTS hard to BEET...  lol

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 05:38:25 PM »
Great unit!! They look really battle worn, nice little back story too, made me smile! :)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 05:16:40 PM »
Lovely work on this unit  :-*

I particularly like the replacement bayonets tied to the muskets. Consider that idea stolen!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »
Ooo, missed these. They’ve turned out great  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 11:46:40 AM »
Hello once again my fellow Adventurers!

The next round of models for my T28 project is now completed!

In game, these chaps and chapess' are known as 'Brutes' - they are the hard hitting, veterans of the contingent, well fed troops which have been influenced by the 'Great Root'. To represent this, I added some tentacles to each model, these roots have grown out of their clothes, bags or skin and are a very helpful battle companion, assisting with weapon control and generally freaking the F*@K out of their opponents  :D

Here's the 6 person unit; the mainstay of the conversions were Perry Miniatures Naps and Medieval with some Kingdom Death Monster parts (the heads of both females and the torso of the Gas Mask wearing female), some Tamiya WW2 weapons (Gas Mask and the Helmet on the big guy) and some Oldhammer skulls. Tentacles were made from Green Stuff using the Tentacle Roller from Greenstuff World.

Here's a close up of 'Frederik - 'Freddy' thinks himself a bit of a ladies man and is always making inappropriate jokes about the size of his 'Root'..........

He began life as a Zombie from the excellent Studio Miniatures.

I hope you've enjoyed the latest instalment and stay tuned for the Oil Painting coming soon  :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 12:37:12 PM »

Some really great kit bashing and conversion work there. 
But that German steel helmet looks "wrong" (I know, seems a strange thing to say about Turnip28 figures but there you go). I think it is too recognisable as what it actual is and does not work with the Napoleonic/Medieval theme you have going with the rest.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:39:21 PM by robh »

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 05:54:39 PM »
Some really great kit bashing and conversion work there. 
But that German steel helmet looks "wrong" (I know, seems a strange thing to say about Turnip28 figures but there you go). I think it is too recognisable as what it actual is and does not work with the Napoleonic/Medieval theme you have going with the rest.

Hello Robh,

I'm too leaning towards that trail of thought, I was looking at ways to diversify but I'm beginning to like the thought of the big chap wearing a Bear skin hat squeezed on to his head, I think it'll look quite comical and fit better. Thanks for the constructive feedback  ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
If you do stick with the helmet, putting a spike on top and turning it into a pickelhaube would go a long way as those were around since 1842, which is not that far off from your timeline.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Hello fellow Adventurers!!

Apologies for the delay!

The unit of 6 Brutes as shown in the previous post has been completed, until I get around to properly photographing them I have begun work on a unit of 'Bastards' - these are the sons of the Toadies and Snobs who are eager to prove their worth on the battlefield and are represented as a unit of 3 Cavalry.

As they are both heavy cavalry and the sons of 'noblemen' I wanted them to look menacing and live up to the name of 'Bastards'. The base for the models was some Perry Miniatures French Napoleonic with some Kingdom Death Monster and GW Wood Elf Dryad parts thrown in!! Extra details added with Green stuff and sewing thread. To give the horses a grimy/fungal look, I primed them with a mix of Gesso and grit.

If you noticed from my opening post, I had already painted one cavalry model, so here's the next two to complete the unit!

As per the previous units, I will be painting the majority of the models with Oil Paints and then picking out details with acrylics and enamel washes where applicable.

I hope you like the 'Bastards' and stay tuned more more soon!

Thanks!

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Can’t wait to see them finished .