Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How many RUBs do you have?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
How many RUBs do you have?
« on: December 14, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »
I've just started my tower of RUBs (Really Useful Boxes) but I can see this is going to end up taking a decent amount of space for my projects. Still, they do seem to take less than all the foam cases I had, particularly since I can also put terrain in these.

So, how many are you at? Have any pictures of your RUB towers?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:35:11 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: How many RUBs do you have?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »
I do happen to have a photo, not the biggest tower as I do use several other storage mechanisms

I use the 4L and 9L ones as they are stackable with each other and you can use the RUB inserts, which I find good for unpainted stuff. Recently I have started using MDF trays from commission figurines which stack inside and are good for painted figures.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:00:29 PM by fred »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
woah, woah, woah! What are 'RUB Inserts for unpainted stuff'?

As a new RUBber, my unpainted sprues have given me a little trouble as I'd like everything in stackable RUBs. I was thinking about get a RUB and skipping the magnetic sheet on the bottom, but just fill it with sprues.

Also, do you have a link to these MDF trays?

Any idea how many minis you have in all of this?

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
What are 'RUB Inserts for unpainted stuff'?
Trays that fit inside the tops of the boxes. Be warned that they stretch your box lids making them loose if you don’t use a tray.

I have maybe two or three dozen RUBs, mainly 4l and 9l like fred. I use them for painted 15mm armies or sorting & storing stuff for future projects

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
I've not counted how many RUB's I have, but enough to hold all my painted armies plus small terrain pieces.

I designed the system of RUB trays and inserts to take all types of figure bases for my own use initially, because after 40 years of collecting and painting I was running out of space. Using this system I found that I could get two or three times the volume of models in the same area.

The 9 Litre RUB is 140mm high, so we make trays that fit it that are 70mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 20mm as well as special trays for paints and game pieces.

We have designed inserts to take every base size and shape you could imagine, and if we don't already do what you are looking for we often design it and make it available for anyone else to buy as well.

Since making it for myself, others asked to buy it and it is now one of the most popular items on the Sally 4th web site. We send out 100's every week to collectors all around the world.

Full details @ http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/RUB
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 02:38:38 PM »
Even though I think your system is terrific.....there is something peculiar about a Wargamer that is so neat! Lol

Seriously impressed however.   I have about 30 RUBs of varying sizes, mostly 30l plus though.   Half of which could be cleared out tbh but there is a lot of comfort taken from their sturdiness and safe containment.  My biggest issue is finding useful inserts for the larger boxes.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
I started with the 4 & 9 litre RUBs, then also got some 24.5 until Officeworks stopping stocking them, so I switched to the 48 litre RUB which gives me buildings, vehicles and soldiers all in the one box. I have a 25 litre non RUB for roads, trees etc as a terrain carryall to go with that. A CBBM goes on top and I'm done. Admittedly it takes 2 trips to the club tables but not a problem. Warbases (sorry Chris A) have made bespoke inserts for the 48s of varying width and depth to accommodate the contents.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 05:58:52 PM »
Trays that fit inside the tops of the boxes. Be warned that they stretch your box lids making them loose if you don’t use a tray.

I have maybe two or three dozen RUBs, mainly 4l and 9l like fred. I use them for painted 15mm armies or sorting & storing stuff for future projects

There are a couple of types of inserts, the ones Citizen S mentions that I think RUB call trays, but there are also inserts that sit fully in the box they have about 15 compartments, and 2  layers fit within a 4L box. I should say most of my figures are 10mm hence why they are useful for unpainted figures.

I got my MDF inserts from http://www.commission-figurines.co.uk/ which are a bit different in style to the Sally Forth ones, but much the same idea.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »
Looks like I’ve got at least 160, in sizes ranging from a couple of 2.5 L used for GM tools (dice, markers, and such) up to a handful of recently acquired 84 L ones which will be used for scenery.  Most of my troops are in 4L boxes, with extra-tall fantasy things in the 9L boxes (for the interstackability mentioned above).  54mm troops tend to be in 11L boxes.  In the US the chain office stores usually sell the 4s and 9s so they are convenient, but I checked dimensions a few years ago and concluded that the 12L box (basically a longer 9) was the biggest single box that would fit under the seat in a typical commercial aircraft, making it the size to take troops to a convention.  The 6L boxes are the same footprint as the 12s, so a stack of 2 6s also fits under the seat, and a 6 and a 12 will generally go in the overhead.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 10:56:11 PM »
I only have 35 boxes.  Some 4L for paints and projects & 9L for larger projects and terrain, a few 11L with the large lid for cavalry/monsters and 7L for my main figure storage (magnetized).  My older GW IG/Skaven forces are in KR foam boxes.  If one could actually see the shelves all these boxes are on, it would look rather neat and orderly.  The stacks of stuff chaotically piled in front of them rules the day at the moment.   lol

The larger RUB's became hard to find near me (Chicago - US) but you can order from their website.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
The larger RUB's became hard to find near me (Chicago - US) but you can order from their website.

I’ve had good luck ordering from their website in the US.  There are a lot of sizes that aren’t available in the office stores, including the 6 and 12 liter boxes that hold my travel kit.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
Too many for the room,
but not nearly enough for what I want to store.

I have however become a little bit wiser.
Now-a-days I find the box, THEN build the scenery etc. to fit inside it.
Still have 'errors' e.g. my 28mm Jacobite figures would fit nicely into
the shallower boxes, but I didn't measure the height of the flag tops.

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
Not enough- I'm struggling to find the sizes I want too which is annoying....

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 09:54:02 AM »
As mentioned above in a US context but also applies to the UK, you can get lots of sizes, colours and accessories (such as spare lids) that are not found in the shops directly from the Really Useful Box Company website.

https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

Watch the delivery charge though, it's a fixed amount depending on the size of the order and therefore works out a bit expensive on a small order. Get together with some mates and put in a big order!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
You can order deeper 'XL' lids from their website for some of boxes.  This raises the height of the interior without impacting the stacking.  Might want to look at that for your houses has.been.