Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA Backwards Compatibility?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: SAGA Backwards Compatibility?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 08:13:33 PM »
My regular opponent and I felt that second edition was a bit bland to start with, and we took break from it after a few games for other things. Then we tried Age of Magic, and found that the spells and new troop type options added an extra dimension that really helped us get back into it, to the extent that I have painted two new warbands during lockdown.

If fantasy is not your thing, I suspect that the ruses in Age of Hannibal will fulfill the same role as the spells in spicing things up.

That is certainly my experience. I really couldn't be bothered to play Age of Vikings but I have several Age of  Magic forces and am working on another

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 10:40:21 AM »
We also found v2 a big improvement; new uses for fatigue, much clearer rules on spending fatigue and abilities, banking dice, closing ranks, and removal of all the strange corner cases around side by side, levies and warriors generating Saga dice if units big enough. All improvements, and no way is the game 'dumbed down'. On the contrary, I think there's more to to think about, but also less 'gotcha' moments with crazy combinatons from some factions, which I see as a good thing.

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 08:37:30 PM »
That is certainly my experience. I really couldn't be bothered to play Age of Vikings but I have several Age of  Magic forces and am working on another

I forgot to say that I also added fantasy elements to historical warbands, such as large wolves to my Vikings, to use them in AoM as well. This obviously allows for multiple uses.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 01:30:54 PM »
I forgot to say that I also added fantasy elements to historical warbands, such as large wolves to my Vikings, to use them in AoM as well. This obviously allows for multiple uses.
I experimented with Creatures, Monsters, and Sorcerers attached to historical warbands using historical Battleboards. No reason why it can't be played, imo, though there are probably some decent, untested, Special Ability + Spell combos that might be unbalancing.