Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Schleswig War  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
First Schleswig War
« on: December 16, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »
In celebration of this year’s 100 anniversary of the reunification of part of southern Jutland with Denmark Eagles of Empire Miniatures switched from their usual French German affection to the first Schleswig War.

Now this really caught my attention. A few years back I bought the leftovers from the company Waterloo to Mons first Schleswig War range. The miniatures weren’t all great and they kind of stranded in the lead pile. Eagles of Empire Miniatures have started out with Danish infantry but promises much more. Not wanting to wait I dug out the old Prussian Waterloo to Mons miniatures and started painting. I figured that they deserved to be first in line having waited many years in the lead pile. Besides the Danish infantry is really cool and I have no doubt that they will be painted soon.

Along with the Danish infantry I also received Eagles of Empire Miniatures rules for the Franco-German War. The rules are some of the most interesting I have ever seen. First of all they are truly skirmish rules with your starting force consisting of maximum of three squads of seven men and an officer. If you field veterans or special traits you will only have two squads. The truly innovative feature about these rules is that once the game gets going you score points for holding objectives and these points are used to buy reinforcement in form of more squads or traits. This way you get the feeling of a small skirmish gradually pulling in more and more troops as the fighting intensifies. It also presents you with some interesting options, as you can either sit tight and hold on to what you have and gradually build up your strength or you can rush your opponent early in the game.

We haven’t played the rules yet as I have just started painting but we should be up and running soon. At least as soon as we can start seeing our gaming mates again.   

Until then here are the first two German squads with their officer. Waterloo to Mons range.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: First Schleswig War
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
Nice to see these minis painted up. Look forward to seeing more as your project develops.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »
Wonderful work,,i Love the Old waterloo to Mons range..glad I had bought what I did.

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:52:03 AM »
Very nice painting

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »
Looking good. I look forward to trying them out on the field of battle.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
I have been painting every night this holiday to finish my first Danish squads with commander before New Year’s Eve. With everything canceled there was plenty of time to paint. Otherwise, I never would have made it in time.

These miniatures are from Eagles of Empire and the first in their coming range of First Schleswig War miniatures. I really like them, they paint up easy and in a box of 16 miniatures no two miniatures are alike. You got three basic poses: firing, loading, and advancing, but every miniature is still unique.

Compares to Waterloo to Mons they are quite tall, but I hope it will work, as long as I don’t put them in the same units.  Actually, there are quite large differences in the range itself, but I think this is intentional. If you look at the sergeant waving the men forward you will see that he is larger than the regular trooper and a giant compared to the drummer boy. I find this reasonable but the officer however is quite slim in comparison to the rest of the men, and I don’t know if this is some hidden hint of animosity towards the officer stand from the producers  lol lol. Probably not, but he does not look like a real fighting hero. Better let the sergeant handle that.

I will order some of Daves Pens' new Schleswig-Holsteiners to supplement my force and continue expanding the Danes. Hopefully, I will have a force ready to play when we are allowed again.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Erik

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 01:07:32 AM »
Lovely work, well done.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:32:41 AM »
Nice figures Erik.
Good to see some of the EOE figs painted up. Lovely!

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »
Cool! This and the Norwegian independence war are the two northern conflicts I was wishing miniatures for.

Just a question on the German flag: was it a regimental one, the Northern Germany Confederation flag or...? I know those were the colours issued during the first unification attempt (1848?), but didn't know they were used by the military.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Yuber Okami I am afraid I can't help you a lot in terms of the flags. There are plenty of contemporary pictures that show the German yellow, red and black flag in use but truce be told I have never seen the one I used here with Gott it Uns. I was inspired by a flag sheet from Adrian's Walls.

I was aware that there was some fighting when Norway tried to have independence in 1814 but never knew there was enough for wargaming. Most interesting.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
There were several skirmishes and small battles. Check it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish%E2%80%93Norwegian_War_(1814)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »
Wunderbar.!! Great paint jobs.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
I´ve finished my remaining Danish infantry from EoE and couldn’t resist showing them off. I know they look an awful lot like the ones I showed back in December but there are more of them :-* :-*! I´ve thrown in a few blue caps instead of shakos and I painted a section in the new 1848 model uniform. Both look nice even though I like the blue cap effect best. 

‘I don’t know if I will give the rules go alone or I will wait until after the quarantine is over. The Schleswig-Holsteins still need some more men, but they might get reinforcement in form of tokens until I get proper miniature from Dave.

I hope you like them

Cheers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
These guys really look great. I can't wait to try them out. Once the plague leaves us.

Offline Matty

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »
I love the round bases.  I don't have any horse and musket stuff yet but I've always thought round > square.