Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord games epic battles 12mm acw  (Read 16859 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Warlord games epic battles 12mm acw
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »
They are 13.5mm feet-to-eyes, or 15mm feet-to-crown-of-head. The former is a bit shorter than the currently popular 15mm feet-to-eyes.

All this "measure to the eye" stuff always complicates and confuses things.  >:(

If these are 15mm tall (true 15s) then they will work with Kriegspieler (now OOP) or Freikorp (very much alive via QRF) figures. Both true proportion, true 15mm ranges.
Also Peter Pig ACW measure out at 15mm tall but are slightly bulkier than the aforementioned makes and probably the Warlord plastics too.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 11:02:23 PM »
On Facebook someone mentioned that these were a re-issue of Gordon and haig figures. They were supposed to be 12mm models.
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »
Wargames Illustrated put up proper comparison pictures on Facebook. :) Seems like they're basically 12mm.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
Doing a photoshop measurement of the WI pictured stand, it looks like the stand widths may be around 6cm, or maybe the slightly larger 2.5 inches -

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
Thanks. I was just about to ask how wide the frames are.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
There's a free frame of the figures on the cover of the new Wargames Illustrated. You can get a copy from me:

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15243

I'm sure this'll sell out before the end of January, so if you're interested I'd get a copy now. We're closing for Christmas on the 24th as well, so if you want a frame to look over during Christmas order now.

Cheers
Nick

PS I've been having a play with them today

Now, those boys are not practicing social distancing. I hope the skirmish line is more responsible. Hmm...there don't seem to be any skirmishers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 05:45:38 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »
Wargames Illustrated took this photo of the new Warlord plastics next to Kallistras 12mm figures.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 07:20:59 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
Some of you will recall my ACW Antietam project a couple of years ago, it's here in the old posts titled my 'New' project. I set about painting the regiments involved in the battle for Bloody Lane at Antietam, and I was pleased with the results I was getting from my quick paint technique on the 28mm figures.

I got a frame of the new Warlord little figures at the weekend, and I wondered if the same technique might work on them.

The results are below.

Did the experiment work? No. It took me HOURS to paint this base of figures.  lol

If I want to get into this Black Powder Epic scale, I'll need a different way of painting the figures.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 08:57:37 PM »
Nick, you primer the Union lt. - blue, and the Rebs white or grey (or just flat clear spray the grey plastic so washes have some surface tension - *stiction*).

Next you use Army Painter blue tone for the Yankee coats, and AP Soft and Strong tones for the Confederate clothing - the shading occurs when the tone collects in the sculpted recesses.  All Army Painter tones can be further diluted with their own Mixing Medium, but I prefer Vallejo Glaze Medium to do this - so, for a lighter blue wash on the Yankee sky-blue trousers (try 3,4,5, or 6 drops glaze to 1 drop blue tone - you can always apply additional intensifying coats).  Btw, the Glaze Medium requires an 'overnight' drying - that's when it's migrating to the recesses and 'pin washing" all by itself.

Next you use a black, fine tip permanent maker pen to do all the leather strapping.

Final detailing with the flesh (tone wash this with AP Flesh), and finish the rifles, canteens, etc.

I always dry-brush white to catch the sculpted highlights, and you'll get that feedback effect at tabletop viewing distances.

This is also how I paint 28s, but I'm really not painting for posting pictures online, but rather for getting acceptable looking troops onto the tabletop afterall.

So we can pursue the techniques of "painting by the numbers", and/or with skillful layering, or one can do much of this in one pass, with having paint washes go where the sculpting says it should flow to.

Finished these Pendraken 10mm Soviet 76s crews up today, using this same wash technique, and on these the only detail painting was to the flesh areas and the boots (this speed painting style works for most game scales).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:43:40 PM by FlyXwire »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
It's odd to choose the shoulder-to-shoulder join for ACW, since I thought they nearly always deployed in open order to fight when close to the enemy? Maybe this is just the standard abstraction for moving battalions around in big battles.

Regardless of what some rules say, the standard infantry formation for both sides was two rank deep, shoulder to shoulder. Both sides used skirmish lines ahead like antennae and in rugged terrain lines might dissolve. Lines would often not be parade ground straight. One account of a Union regiment has them run across a bullet-swept area in no formation at all but then rest and reform in dead ground before continuing their attack in close order line. Emory Upton, the bright young man of the Union army wrote the new drill manual after the war. He prescribed two rank shoulder to shoulder battle line as the standard formation. Once Army brass recognized that muzzle-loaders were seen as obsolete, drill changed. But the standard infantry formation during the ACW was close order line, with some use of columns.

Out west, both sides often went prone during firefights, but were still packed close together.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2020, 11:40:12 PM »
To be honest I don't see much "Epic" about this - the strips are an okay idea but I don't see old school 15mm as really "epic". And I'm all for big battalion gaming but 100 figure regiments seem a bit absurd - regimental frontage is going to be 25-30cm. There's not going to be much room for manoeuvre on a 6x4 table is there? Anything more than a couple of brigades per side and it will just be a slugfest - so presumably Warlord are depending on the club buyers. And given the size of the strips you can't use them for any other ruleset without hacking them apart at the elbows. 

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »
I REALLY like this idea.

I think they started with the ACW because they'd only need to make one plastic sprue to start with.

The figures look like they'd mix fine with Kallistra's on the table, as long as they are in segregated units.

They are obviously trying to maintain Black Powder's rules as they are, so that's why the frontage is what it is. However, if you do a wee bit of kit bashing, you can make 3 bases the Standard size and play halving the measurement scale. This will still give you 60 figure units, which is pretty epic, by anyone's standards.

It you REALLY want to go nuts, a bit of cutting and modding on the command stand and you can have 40 figure two stand units and play BP with centimeters swapped out for inches. Unit frontages will be 12cm versus 30cm or 2.5 times smaller: almost a perfect fit.

Note that a couple of the castings have soldiers in the middle with left shouldered muskets, so transforming these into flag bearers should be easy.

As for cutting the stands... look, I'm no master when it comes to kitbashing and I ROUTINELY cut 3mm stands in metal. I can't conceive that doing the same with these, in plastic, would be too much more difficult. Maybe one would have to use a bit of green stuff here and there.

Me, I plan to go the two stand route and use the banner stand as printed to signify elite units. IT will be flanked by two half stands. So I will only have to do "serious" chop and conversion work on one stand out of five.

120 USD for 2400 minis? At two stands a unit, that's 60 regiments, with a normal 6x4 table being translated at centimeter scale to the equivalent of 15x10 feet. That is pretty epic, anyway you cut it. AND 40 figure units, as well.

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2020, 04:33:20 PM »
I asked warlord if they would be doing separate command packs. The answer was a qualified yes in the future. Having regiments of 20 plus command would make large battles feasible and exciting.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »
Gotta say 100 figure units is tempting, even if that means using just a brigade or two per side. Good thing I'm stranded up in Maine and away from my paints and such. get thee behind me, Satan... and they don't have cavalry yet.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
Today, Warlord has previewed additional figures prepared for the range -