Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:56:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter kit for Early Imperial Romans.. also Opponent suggestions?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
Re: Winter kit for Early Imperial Romans.. also Opponent suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »
great pics

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 09:40:25 PM »
Those pics are brilliant, exactly what I need.

I've started messing about with greenstuff so should have some stuff to share soon. The main body of models haven't arrived, and as they are Black Tree, may never arrive. I have a plan B though, although ill give them a bit longer. I've got my cavalry Ala and some archers and Leaders to get on with for now.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 05:24:43 AM »
Those pics are brilliant, exactly what I need.

I've started messing about with greenstuff so should have some stuff to share soon. The main body of models haven't arrived, and as they are Black Tree, may never arrive. I have a plan B though, although ill give them a bit longer. I've got my cavalry Ala and some archers and Leaders to get on with for now.

If my experience is anything to judge by, they will arrive.  Late, but they will arrive.  You may have to continually email after a reasonable while of waiting, but BTD had always delivered what I have ordered (expect for that missing set ...).

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 09:57:58 AM »
Another idea for opponents are the various central European tribes.
The Romans waged a successful campaign against tribes in the Alps from 16-7 bc which included Celts and Rhaetians.
Other Celts and Illryians were fighting Rome into the first half of the 1st century ad.

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 08:37:41 PM »
Those winter Roman pics are Great!. This is a bad photo and they are no where near finished but here is some simple cloaks from greenstuff. Literaly just slap a peice of greenstuff on and then join it at the front. It is crude but very quick, and then you can just paint on the ripples instead of sculpting them, which i would prefer to do but there is just no way that is feasible for large numbers (even if i knew how lol )

This method you could literaly cloak a whole pack of Victrix Romans in 2 hours! In person they look a lot better i promise =)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »
Those look brilliant! I'm doing something similar although they don't look as good as yours.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 12:36:36 AM »
Those winter Roman pics are Great!. This is a bad photo and they are no where near finished but here is some simple cloaks from greenstuff. Literaly just slap a peice of greenstuff on and then join it at the front. It is crude but very quick, and then you can just paint on the ripples instead of sculpting them, which i would prefer to do but there is just no way that is feasible for large numbers (even if i knew how lol )

This method you could literaly cloak a whole pack of Victrix Romans in 2 hours! In person they look a lot better i promise =)

You know, I may have to just bite the bullet and do that myself. I have a few units I've been verrrrrrrrrry slowly working on, but part of the reason why is my anxiety over sculpting like 100 separate cloaks  lol Yours look great, so I might try doing it that way....
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »
Cheers guys, looking forward to see yours!.

After watching Barbarians I just had to cloak my Romans, but massively put off by the time and skill involved, this way is so quick. I did just cut out the main part of cloak by guessing, but you could make a simple pattern. Another mistake i made was flatten the greenstuff between my fingers which left finger prints unfortunetly.

Also i was thinking you could make a ripple/fold shape mould to lubricate up and put on the back of the figure whilst you place the flat greenstuff on, and then remove it

Offline Greuthungi

• Assistant
    • Holland 1787: Prussians vs Patriots
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 09:39:48 PM »
If you are a bit patient, I am actually having 28mm Romans in winter kit sculpted at this very moment. Main source is this book https://zeughausverlag.de/heere-waffen/das-heer-des-varus-teil-1/
Frankly, the main reason is that my Blacktree order never arrived and I wanted to have historically correct figures. No barbarian trousers, but good old leg warmers and capes. Might still be available faster than waiting on your order ;-)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:55 AM »
If you are a bit patient, I am actually having 28mm Romans in winter kit sculpted at this very moment. Main source is this book https://zeughausverlag.de/heere-waffen/das-heer-des-varus-teil-1/
Frankly, the main reason is that my Blacktree order never arrived and I wanted to have historically correct figures. No barbarian trousers, but good old leg warmers and capes. Might still be available faster than waiting on your order ;-)

Ooh, Really that is good news.

Offline Greuthungi

• Assistant
    • Holland 1787: Prussians vs Patriots
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »
Linear A has had the same idea in 1/72. They have a whole new range of Romans and Germans set around General Varus' day off https://www.linear-a.de/shop-figuren/plastikfiguren/linear-a/