Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Husaria - building a Polish army for the 1620s  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Husaria - building a Polish army for the 1620s
« on: December 23, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »
I’ve been working up to Polish Winged Hussars for more than 30 years.  Having recently built up a Swedish Army for the Thirty Years War, I have finally started to build a Polish Army as opponents for them.  I, of course, started with the famous Hussars.  You can read about how I have begun to realise my miniature ‘Husaria’ in my latest blog post:

https://theviaregia.blogspot.com/2020/05/husaria.html

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Husaria - building a Polish army for the 1620s
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
Looking good.

Every time I read a post by you re: TYW I seem to go down a rabbit hole looking at various mini's!  o_o

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 08:53:26 AM »
Really interesting description on your blog. I've thought about doing winged hussars myself at some stage, but I'll probably never get round to it. Out of interest, did you think about doing something with the old Warhammer figures as well as the Warlord, TAG and Foundry figures you're planning to use? I'm afraid I've never actually seen the Warhammer figures - just pictures on the web.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
Looking good.

Every time I read a post by you re: TYW I seem to go down a rabbit hole looking at various mini's!  o_o

Thanks, Atheling! Hehehe, sorry about that  ;)

Really interesting description on your blog. I've thought about doing winged hussars myself at some stage, but I'll probably never get round to it. Out of interest, did you think about doing something with the old Warhammer figures as well as the Warlord, TAG and Foundry figures you're planning to use? I'm afraid I've never actually seen the Warhammer figures - just pictures on the web.

Thanks, Paul! I’ve never seen them in the flesh, butrom pictures I’ve seen there are a few too many anachronisms for me, before getting to size comparisons.  Luckily, the price of them second hand on ebay will prevent me ever being tempted to look!  :o

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
I handled some of those Kislevites, and I'm inclined to agree with Friends of General Haig - they're just a bit too off in terms of time and characteristics I think. Not to mention the absurd prices any non-plastic OOP GW stuff costs.

Helion&Co just released a book on the Polish army of the time. Sadly there seem to be supply problems to the continent for months now, but I hope to grab that one asap!

Great project; I shall look forward to seeing how it proceeds. TYW Poles are on my to-do list at some point in the future as well.

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »
I'm excited for this! Always love to see an Eastern European army, and bonus points for picking a timepoint outside of the Deluge-to-Vienna period.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
Excellent looking project. That Book just came from Helion in the Post this week. It's brilliant. Loads of good info in there.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Kadrinazi

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 11:25:52 PM »
That Book just came from Helion in the Post this week. It's brilliant. Loads of good info in there.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 01:33:10 PM »
Looking forward to this project! Love what you are doing on Via Reggia, and the promise to look particularly grand.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
I handled some of those Kislevites, and I'm inclined to agree with Friends of General Haig - they're just a bit too off in terms of time and characteristics I think. Not to mention the absurd prices any non-plastic OOP GW stuff costs.

Helion&Co just released a book on the Polish army of the time. Sadly there seem to be supply problems to the continent for months now, but I hope to grab that one asap!

Great project; I shall look forward to seeing how it proceeds. TYW Poles are on my to-do list at some point in the future as well.

Thanks, Sigur! I would love to see hussars you had painted  8)

I'm excited for this! Always love to see an Eastern European army, and bonus points for picking a timepoint outside of the Deluge-to-Vienna period.

Thanks, Thaddeu! I went for this period as I wanted to focus on the classic battles v. GA.

Excellent looking project. That Book just came from Helion in the Post this week. It's brilliant. Loads of good info in there.

Thanks, sepoy1857! I’m part way through. Slowed down by a Christmas haul of books and having a quick flick through. It is a fabulous work, and I hope it goes a long way to making this a new focus period for wargamers.

Looking forward to this project! Love what you are doing on Via Reggia, and the promise to look particularly grand.

Thanks, Nick! Really appreciate the feedback.  8)