Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Expanse - A small project using Batman Miniatures Game models for Stargrave  (Read 4626 times)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
Greetings,

So this project has been bubbling away in my mind for a few years, a small self-contained Expanse project. It will take cues from both the excellent TV show as well as the books and the RPG.

I've been eying off the Knight Models BMG stuff for some time now, as a lot of their stuff suits a lower tech hard sci fi look. With multiple editions, the older stuff has become obsolete especially the old metals. Scale wise, they are a touch taller than my usual 28mm but slighter more realistic proportions and weapons. Perfect.

Found these sets on deep deep discount, going to see what I can put together. I'm hoping to make the following:

- Normal belters (non OPA but still belligerent)
- Hardcore OPA fighters
- Martian Marines in power armour
- Earther / private security forces
- Hero ship's crew (not necessarily from the Rocci)

I expect the crews could see double duty in Stargrave, Rogue Stars, or whatever else we cook up.

More than happy to hear suggestions and ideas for conversions.

Cheers, The Baron
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:40:28 AM by Westfalia Chris »

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Yesss, I love the show and would love to do an Expanse project.

The forum's very own Agis did (from memory) MMC using Anvil Industries something something range.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
The Expanse is brilliant.

I’ve often pondered minis to play it. Great choices on those Batman minis.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Great project that I am very much looking forward to seeing!

I love The Expanse and had only recently thought about doing such a project while reading the Stargrave announcement. Might yet start the project using some miniatures from Hasslefree.

„Official“ Expanse Rules would be amazing but since there aren‘t even official miniatures, we will have to make do with other rulesets. I would probably choose This is not a Test.

Very excited to see what you are doing with the Batman miniatures and wishing you much fun!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
I remember that there were official 3D model files available somewhere, not sure if that included Martian Marine armour.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
These were just done with Kickstarter so I don't know if they are available to the public yet, very expanse and they have a ship too
https://imgur.com/t/2nddynasty3d/jm8nSXe
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
These were just done with Kickstarter so I don't know if they are available to the public yet, very expanse and they have a ship too
https://imgur.com/t/2nddynasty3d/jm8nSXe

Oh wow that spaceship is one phenomenal, check these photos out.
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/TXJev2T

The Batman models have for the most part been fantastic to work with, I've got about 20 built so far, including the crew of the Rocci, pics soon! In the meantime does anyone know the colour of the Martian Power Armour? I originally thought gun metal, but possibly it is black. Obviously hard to tell in all the different lightings - as can be seen in these photos!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
How about Army Painter Gun Metal metallic paint covered by GW Contrast Paint Black Templar or Contrast Paint Basilicanum Grey?

Be aware that it will be quite shiny and hard to correct once dried though!  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
I just started watching this show at the weekend. Figured I might as well start using my Amazon Prime membership for something other than Christmas shopping. It's good, isn't it?

Good luck with the project.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline The Great Mahoo

• Bookworm
    • Adventures on the Tabletop
I just started watching this show at the weekend. Figured I might as well start using my Amazon Prime membership for something other than Christmas shopping. It's good, isn't it?
Same. I just started into it a couple weeks ago and am through 2 seasons already.  I've been enjoying it!

I'll be quite interested in how your project shapes up!

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
After a fair bit of conversion, first lot of models are ready for paint. Got the crew of the Roci, Martian marines in power armour (including Bobbie Draper), generic belters (with lots of tools on their belts), and hardcore OPA, including my first attempt at a Vac suit. Sorry for the unpainted pictures but heaps of fun building these! Plenty more on the way, including Martian marines in light armour, plenty more belters, RCE grunts, star helix grunts and more

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
Sorry for the duplicates, uploads are being funny. Here are the belters and OPA

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
What a great idea for a project. :D I only watched the first season so far, but there's several aspects I like.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
Looking very good. I never ever would have thought of the Batman minis for this, but I can totally see it now.

Watching with interest!

BTW, any chance you could take a scale shot with one of the 'normal human sized' guys and another 28mm figure (from a reasonably common brand if possible)?

Cheers!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
This project looks very promising!  I look forward to following it.

For people just starting the series, I do recommend the books as well.  Happily, it is a series where the books and the TV show are both quite strong (it helps that the show follows the books fairly closely).

I don't know how they scale with the Batman figures, but Heresy miniatures makes some low-tech SciFi figures that might work.  Here is one example:

https://heresyminiatures.com/shop/

-Michael