Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm... Road to Normandy... with a 20mm detour - 08/03/24 - 20mm Stug IV update  (Read 21417 times)

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
I'm pretty sure I'm not to only one that has piles of unpainted WW2 minis in too many different scales. 6mm checked, 15mm checked, 20mm (1/72) checked, 28mm checked...

The whole idea was that I would use different scales for different levels of games. Bigger scales for platoon size games and smaller scales for company/battalion. I think we can all see how this can end right? I got bits of miniatures in different scales, but not enough of them finished to play a game.

I recently got an 8cm mortar by Battlefront (it was a sample to check the material they use now). I started painting them for fun and see if I got all the paints I need. I did not try to do a superb job, just test colours and ideas for camo, results so far below:

And I thought, ok, it's time to finish some started projects. And as I already have almost full infantry platoon for Brits (need only some support weapons and few NCO/Officer). So time to dig up the Skytrex Germans and start painting more baddies. I plan to have two opposing platoons, no specific system in general, I want to use them to play CoC, AIBSM, Bolt Action, who knows maybe even Flams of War.

Let's see how long it will take me to finish this project :)

Cheers,
Seb

UPDATE 07/10/2021
I decided to expended this topic and include some of my 20mm (1/72) WW2 projects as well. Just to make this a bit easier for me and to avoid creating too many extra unnecessary topics :) 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:02:27 PM by Seb »

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
Re: 15mm... Road to Normandy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
Progress on the British side of the front.

The 3 squads of infantry and a Sherman ready. I need just a few single miniatures and NCO, plus the Platoon HQ.

Sherman has no markings as I wanted to keep him "universal", but I think I will get some decals. It will look far better with them.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
Nice beginning ! you're right, a few stars on the sherman will bring some interesting detail.

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks!

Yes, I will get some decals asap :)

Offline Storm-the-front

• Student
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »
15mm is the best scale for WWII company and platoon level firefights. Took me a couple years to realize. Haha

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
15mm is the best scale for WWII company and platoon level firefights. Took me a couple years to realize. Haha

Yes, I notice this as well. But I find that for bigger tanks on tanks action 6mm is better haha

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 11:29:19 PM »
Great stuff Seb! I love my 15mm WWII (I have 6mm in the works for bigger games) and would recommend the Battlegroup series to add to your stable of rules. They work for a range of conflict sizes and are (or at least I find them) very enjoyable.

Keep up the good work,
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 05:59:41 AM »
Seb, I would echo support for 15mm and the Battlegroup rules. I have mainly 20mm WW2, but if starting afresh would go with 15mm.  The choice of vehicles is now huge and the quality of the models now excellent. In the past I found that the infantry were pretty naff but the recent releases are almost as good as 20mm, and they are probably the smallest scale that can be individually based and thus useful for various rulesets. Despite my large 20mm collection I did start a late war British force in 15mm a few years ago and am now slowly building up a German opponent.

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »
Thanks, lads!

I did give a quick glance to Battlegroup rules some time ago. I wasn't sure about them. I heard many good words about it, but maybe I need to give them a try.

I stared some germans as well.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »
Personaly I choosed Iron Cross, wich is simplier than Battlegroup.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
Excellent start on your germans Seb. I’d also recommend Peter pig miniatures (available from Brookhurst in the US) as the range is comprehensive and I love the sculpts (Peter Pig = Infantry, Battlefront/Plastic Soldier Company = vehicles is my personal choice, although I’ve just bought my first few skytrex vehicles and they’re lovely).

I have read/tried Iron cross but found it a bit too simplistic (nothing wrong with it just not my style of game) and would really push Battlegroup to any prospective WWII gamer. It is very easy to play and follow (I’ve managed to get a couple of non-historical gaming friends at my club to play and they’ve not only enjoyed it but keep asking when we’ll play again!) especially if you’re lucky enough to have someone demo it to you, and works well from smaller squad based games up to multiple platoons. There were 3 associated pdfs called dispatches, one of which contains a very comprehensive Q&A and some walkthrough guides for parts of the rules. I doubt you’re anywhere near me but if you are within a stones throw of South Wales and want to have a demo then I’d be more than happy to help (assuming I’m/we’re ever allowed out again).

BALM

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
I'm focusing on Chain of Command and IABSM. I like the lardies approach to the topic. But I got some friend that play Bolt Action and FoW, so I'm not discarding those as well.

Well, I'm currently living in Sweden, but my main historical wargaming buddies are in Scotland :D

I got some PSC plastics (both early and the next-gen). I personally prefer the more bulky minis of Battlefront/PSC, but the Skytrex infantry is very nice. And I will stick to metal minis. I got only experience with Skytrex T-72, and they are excellent so I'm assuming others should be similar in quality. I was thinking about adding some Forge in Battle vehicles, but I'm not a massive fan of their integrated bases, so I will probably stay with PSC/Battlefront plastics for core vehicles but add a bit flavour with Skytrex/Peter Pig and others.

I hope to paint some baddies today.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 10:12:56 PM »
Those nappies won't change themselves! :D

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 12:48:33 AM »

I like the PSC vehicles but also find their chaps too slight (probably more accurate but like you I prefer a chunkier figure) and tend to replace the vehicle crews with Peter Pig or sculpt new ones. I haven’t seen any skytrex infantry in person but the crews for the vehicles I bought recently were good. I’m also put off of Forged in Battle by the bases (I do base my vehicles but like a small, thin base that isn’t too prominent) and as yet I haven’t found anything that only they do and I need enough to build up the energy to try removing the massive chunky base - actually that’s not true, the SdKfz 250 armoured munitions carrier variant - 252? or 3? would be nice but only because I like odd non-combat vehicles.

One of the great things about historical gaming is the vast range of available rulesets that mean you an generally find one that appeals to you and what you want in a game. I use my WWII models for Normandy Firefight, Bolt Action, Chain of Command and Battlegroup and enjoy them all in their own right. I own but haven’t played IABSM so must get it onto the table at some point to see if it’s my cup of tea.

How is your ‘baddie’ painting going?

BALM

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 04:31:31 PM »
Those nappies won't change themselves! :D

Yeah, they don't help with painting :D

How is your ‘baddie’ painting going?

BALM

I stuck a bit with the baddies, need to get a moment of time to sit down and paint them, we will see after the weekend. I started painting Stug and Sdkfz 251. We will see after the weekend.

I would definitely recommend IABSM, great game.