Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1st Corps miniatures scale  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
1st Corps miniatures scale
« on: December 30, 2020, 12:22:11 AM »
Looking seriously at 1st Corps Shang Zhao line of ancients.  Before I take the plung and spend a couple hundred dollars for the line to assemble my army....But on their site I didn't find a scale for the ancient chinese...or Indians.. etc. Anyone have a comparison picture or figure they can measure and drop a reply of? Many thanks.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: 1st Corps miniatures scale
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:26:23 PM »
I don't have this range, but their Gauls and Carthaginians were pretty short compared to newer manufacturers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joekano/632443953/

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
The Chinese ranges that 1st Corps sell ( Shang, Warring States and Han) were originally sold by Curteys  Miniatures and are in a different style to their other ranges. I don't have the Shang but do have a Warring States army and believe they are consistent in scale. Taking a sample infantryman he seems to be 27mm foot-to-eye ( 30mm base to top of head), and matches well height wise with Foundry and Aventine. The cavalrymen sits on his horse about 41mm foot-to-eye, and he is noticeably smaller than a comparable Aventine cavalrymen.  Looking at the two Curteys figures side-by-side the actual cavalry figure looks a tad squat.

IMHO the sculpting style is quite distinctive, almost caricatured, and I wouldn't mix them with other manufacturers in the same army. That said not many other people make these periods so you will probably have to use 1st Corps/Curteys if you want a Shang, Warring States or Han army!     

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:19:33 PM »

I concur with SJWi's size assessment.  I bought an army of their Warring States figures and traded it before painting it.  I thought they looked chunky before painting, but a friend of mine has painted it up wonderfully and it doesn't look chunky at all.  I kind of kick myself for not painting it myself, it's a gorgeous army.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:43:34 AM »
By the way I should say that my Warring States army looks superb and I am very pleased with it. My only regret is that I don't have a "historical" opponent . You may find a similar issue with the Shang.

I must say I am intrigued as to why you are contemplating a Shang army. 

I was rather seduced by the old Warhammer Historical book "The Art of War" which had lots of "eye candy" photos of the various Curteys ranges.   

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 12:26:03 AM »
Thanks all for the information. Thinking to buy an entire army in one fell swoop. I realized later .... that since they are all the same range and the chinesse are a bit shorter than say Nordic viking army types it should work out fine.  They will be a historical mix with a fantasy selection of units when I fancy playing them as an alternate army :)