Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Just For The Money:" A Ghost Archipelago Solo Adventure  (Read 1109 times)

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
"Just For The Money:" A Ghost Archipelago Solo Adventure
« on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:36 AM »
OK, so I played my first solo game of Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago last night using the "Just For The Money" scenario. I made a few mistakes, but I decided to live with them and replay it this morning properly. I kept my experience and treasure, though. I didn't take as many pictures of last night's game as I expected for Reasons, though, and I'm not sharing them here to avoid confusion. And originally, I only had one tortoise and was using a pair of oversized toy elephants instead, but my wife thought I should have the proper animals on the table and bought me the second tortoise shortly before I was going to play.

I really expected my Heritor and archers to be the heavy hitters of that game; as it turned out the Heritor would have been close to death in his first melee if not for his Mitigation ability! But the Tomb Robbers seemed to go through everything they contacted like a hot knife through butter. They had a lot of "20"s rolled for attacks! The Warden failed most spells bit finally got a couple of walls up in the last few turns.

This morning I replayed the scenario. I had kept the experience and associated upgrades to my Heritor from last night's game, but also the injured crewman who would be missing due to recovering from his serious injury.

So, the bad guys were more focussed. I was down a guy. I lost two more guys in the course of the game; one recovered nicely, but the other will be missing the next game as he heals up. This time around, the archery was more effective; I kept the Archer and the Scout close to the Warden as a bit of a mobile fire base. They were also pretty good in melee. The Heritor and two Tomb Robbers, well, that was a force of nature that smashed through everything.

On turn three, a Scarbark had the unfortunate luck to appear on token 5, between the Warden and many followers. It did survive to make it's own attacks. Likewise, a Tribal Chieftain didn't survive to the end of the turn on which it arrived.

After the Merchant and Tortoises were safely off the board, the remaining team went after the last treasure token. This stretched the game a little longer, but in the end, it too was recovered.

My Heritor is now 5th level and my Warden is 1st level. I am going to put together a board for the "Incinerator" scenario and play through that one next.

Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: "Just For The Money:" A Ghost Archipelago Solo Adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
i think your wife's idea of the tortoises is inspired. I am going to be looking through the toy box...

I have played FrostGrave still hoping to get some games of Ghost Archipelago in so thank you for the inspiration.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
 8) way cool !!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:53:39 AM »
great stuff.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist