Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Goat-Kin  (Read 7769 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Soldiers and Barbarians
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 03:17:12 AM »
More barbarians!  Another great kit!  The barbarian “templar” is from the knight box with the special metal head that came with the barbarian sprue. 

A group shot of all of the completed barbarians so far:

And a better shot of the soldiers

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
Re: More Barbarians!!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »
Those are great!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
 8) way cool!!!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »
These are some pretty good looking units!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 12:48:49 AM »
Very nice. I really enjoy the muted feeling scheme, especially of the barbarians.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 01:26:00 AM »
These are incredible savages!  :o
I’m loving the choices of color scheme as well as whateve technique you are using. The recesses and shadows are so dark and rich, it almost looks like a modified black lining. Can you share your painting technique? Also what do you use for bases? Finally, does Frostgrave use this many barbarians? It almost looks like a horde better suited for Oathmark.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 02:25:25 AM »
Thanks everyone!

These are incredible savages!  :o
I’m loving the choices of color scheme as well as whateve technique you are using. The recesses and shadows are so dark and rich, it almost looks like a modified black lining. Can you share your painting technique? Also what do you use for bases? Finally, does Frostgrave use this many barbarians? It almost looks like a horde better suited for Oathmark.

Thank you!

I block paint the figures and then wash them in agrax earth shade, then go back over with the base color, and then highlight. 

The bases are the plastic bases that come with the figures.  I glue the sand/saw dust onto the base, wash them with burnt umber craft paint, then heavy dry brush of agrellan earth, then dry brush with karak stone.  I use green flock and static grass. 

The base number of soldiers that a wizard can hire is 8 figures for game but they can be different between games.  I just wanted enough painted to chose whatever I wanted or needed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:27:03 AM by killshot »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
wonderful.

your results make it clear (if that was necessary) that where I've gone wrong with washes is not being willing to go back and add the base colours again to raised areas, and then highlights.
You get beautiful results with that approach - although a good chunk of that will be your own skill with the brush I suspect.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2021, 03:44:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Thank you!

I block paint the figures and then wash them in agrax earth shade, then go back over with the base color, and then highlight. 

The bases are the plastic bases that come with the figures.  I glue the sand/saw dust onto the base, wash them with burnt umber craft paint, then heavy dry brush of agrellan earth, then dry brush with karak stone.  I use green flock and static grass. 

The base number of soldiers that a wizard can hire is 8 figures for game but they can be different between games.  I just wanted enough painted to chose whatever I wanted or needed.

Thanks for sharing.
I use a similar approach. Block paint, wash, reapply base colors. But I don’t also do highlights on top. I use the second application of the base color over the washed base color as the highlight. This saves me time, but Your results are more impressive. Also, I don’t wash Agrax over everything. I use different washes depending on the area, so riekland flesh over flesh, sepia over bone, nuln oil over metals, etc. Again, I’m liking your results of just agrax over everything. Definitely makes the flesh shadowing more defined.
Cheers!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2021, 03:50:25 PM »
Great stuff  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
wonderful.

your results make it clear (if that was necessary) that where I've gone wrong with washes is not being willing to go back and add the base colours again to raised areas, and then highlights.
You get beautiful results with that approach - although a good chunk of that will be your own skill with the brush I suspect.

I’ve been painting for a while, but I think you’ll be happier with your figures when you go back and highlight them.

Thanks for sharing.
I use a similar approach. Block paint, wash, reapply base colors. But I don’t also do highlights on top. I use the second application of the base color over the washed base color as the highlight. This saves me time, but Your results are more impressive. Also, I don’t wash Agrax over everything. I use different washes depending on the area, so riekland flesh over flesh, sepia over bone, nuln oil over metals, etc. Again, I’m liking your results of just agrax over everything. Definitely makes the flesh shadowing more defined.
Cheers!

Thank you!

I don’t always just use the agrax, I’ve just been doing it on these Frostgrave figures because they don’t have much armor.  If there’s a lot of armor I’ll use the nuln as well and I’m currently trying out the Carrorburg Crimson was on some demons. 

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 02:40:54 AM »
Completed a handful of demons to test out color schemes and some ideas.

The wings are from the Bat Demon from Reaper Miniatures.  They are the soft plastic and were really easy to cut out and shave with a knife. Not 100% sold on the black armor.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Demons!
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 10:37:41 AM »
black armour looks great to me - maybe a varnish if not used already?

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 11:27:45 AM »
The black armour looks pretty good to me, although the gold and red demons do pop a little more.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 03:34:46 PM »
That armor looks fine to mee.