Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691056
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Breaz' Brushes Medievals  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Breaz' Brushes Medievals
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »
Hey there friends!

After a too long hiatus I have returned with a new project. Part of not painting much the last year had to do with having caught the covids around march. I believe I updated somewhere around that time for the last time mentioning I was sick. That lasted a good 5 weeks and ever since then my energy levels have dropped massively. I have also been spending a lot of time working on my stream. https://www.twitch.tv/breazer_ if you are interested. But I'm excited to share my new stuff with you guys.

I have decided to leave my 13th century stuff for a while and skip forward to 14th century with a large amount of Claymore Castings. those miniatures are absolutely fantastic. Besides that I have a lot of Perry miniatures that I havent put to good use yet. Once again I am just going to go for a credible medieval feel without trying to make actual excisting banners. It may happen that I use some that were actual used banners but this is either by accident, because I like the design or because I enjoy the story behind the real person carrying them in history. I converted some Perry miniatures to start this project of. Just one unit to see what I can do and if I like this project as much as I think I do. So far no dissapointments and here is the unit in a picture i dubbed "The Hesitant".

I tried to varnish them after I took the picture and I believe I hit them a bit too hard. They have become somewhat glossy which is something I tried to avoid with a mat varnish. It isnt a very big bother on the table and I personally don't find it a disaster on this unit. I will however be a lot more careful with it in the future. 

I hope you like them!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Breaz' Brushes Medievals
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »
Very nice work  8)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »
They look good - well done :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:06:46 PM »
Fantastic! Great to see your work again.
I love how you've used the Perry Agincourt plastics and metals.... where did the head in the mail coif come from?
My favourite has got to be the one with the hammer and shield. A conversion? Where did the mail sleeves come from?

Are you planning to use keep the Perry plastics in the 13th century, to blend well with the Claymore Castings sculpts, by avoiding the 15th century equipment?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 01:31:55 PM »
Very nice! Inspirational as I'm looking at a similar project myself, some generic late 14th century.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 01:51:58 PM »
Great looking group  8)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
Lovely work so far - the red and light brown works well. The glossy varnish isn't too bad and will most likely not be noticeable on the tabletop. Looking forward to seeing many more.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 07:20:31 PM »
Great work on the unit!

The varnish looks fine to me! Usually the lighting in photography makes it feel shinier than it is, and the glossiness is barely noticeable in the first photo, if that helps!

Also, is the figure with the shouldered polearm a converted Perry 'marching pikeman' (upper body anyway)?

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 12:34:32 AM »
Fantastic! Great to see your work again.
I love how you've used the Perry Agincourt plastics and metals.... where did the head in the mail coif come from?
My favourite has got to be the one with the hammer and shield. A conversion? Where did the mail sleeves come from?

Are you planning to use keep the Perry plastics in the 13th century, to blend well with the Claymore Castings sculpts, by avoiding the 15th century equipment?

thank you thank you!
The head in the mail coif is the falling knight from Claymore castings.... The hammer and shield dude is converted yes. The sleeves are gripping beast vikings with new arms under them. I've converted several more. The guy with his weapon over his shoulder is a metal miniature that was walking. I replaced his feet with plastic standing ones. The guy behind him has some arms from the perry 15th century guys. further more i have converted all the arm poses of the plastic miniatures except for the coifed guy.

I'm not sure about future perry's for this. I tried to do a similar thing with only marching mini's but it just isn't as satisfying. I will come back to that at some point.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 12:36:44 AM »
Great work on the unit!

The varnish looks fine to me! Usually the lighting in photography makes it feel shinier than it is, and the glossiness is barely noticeable in the first photo, if that helps!

Also, is the figure with the shouldered polearm a converted Perry 'marching pikeman' (upper body anyway)?
A very keen eye sir. The legs are plastic standing ones. As perhaps you also noticed the entire unit has a stationary pose. I thought it would make them look more unique and as inviting to examine closer as you'd do with most claymore castings miniatures. In my answer to charlie i explained the other conversions a little bit.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 07:24:45 AM »
Breazer,  Very nice work. I feel your pain regarding the varnish. I managed to paint a whole 3rd Century AD Roman army over the Festive Period and used Warlord's matt varnish spray on them. I was very careful to ensure the varnish wasn't cold, no moisture in the air, I didn't spray too thickly .....and still some figures went glossy. I am now searching for some matt varnish to apply by brush to the "problem" models. 

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
To arms! The project is good and well underway now. I have finished painting another unit. Naturally I had to take a picture with them dubbed "To Arms".

This unit has quickly become one of my favorite units I've ever made. The miniatures all stand in very interesting poses and really invite a closer look. Besides that the colours are great. I like it so much that I have decided to make this scheme the main one for my army. Naturally I will ad all kinds of other troops and randomly painted cool miniatures but I would like to have 2 armies with a distinct style and scheme to represent 2 warring factions.

For these guys I got the idea from the movie Robin Hood. In the Chalus Battle Scene at the start of the film you can see this banner atop a tower:

I fell in love with it and had to build forces around it. So I am. Not perse as Chalus forces but just because I like the banner.

Here is the first unit:

I hope you like them

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
Lovely work Breezer and as atmospheric as ever  :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God