Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79386 times)

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »
Well new government advice is for UK businesses to set up in the EU, so the problem should be a non issue soon.  lol

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2021, 09:43:43 PM »
Well new government advice is for UK businesses to set up in the EU, so the problem should be a non issue soon.  lol

That was literally what some businesses are doing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/a-brexit-nightmare-the-british-businesses-being-pushed-to-breaking-point

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2021, 09:59:42 PM »
Amazing .. thats worse than I ever expected
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2021, 10:25:00 PM »
I bettwe remind everyone, again, to keep this thread on the topic of practical implications of the Brexit situation. However tempting it may be, any turning this thread into a question of political responsibility and it will, as stated in the forum rules, be shut down faster than you can say ”VAT absorption”.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:05:44 AM by Hammers »

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2021, 12:48:38 AM »
I bettee remind everyone, again, to keep this thread on the topic of practical implications of the Brexit situation. However tempting it may be, any turning this thread into a question of political responsibility and it will, as stated in the forum rules, be shut down faster than you can say ”VAT absorption”.

My bad!

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »
My original post was about manufacturers being unprepared , is it worth asking manufacturers who are present on here to outline what they are doing as regards vat customs etc , it would help a lot of gamers and hobbyists in EU

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »
My original post was about manufacturers being unprepared , is it worth asking manufacturers who are present on here to outline what they are doing as regards vat customs etc , it would help a lot of gamers and hobbyists in EU

I'll be voluntarily registering for UK VAT (I'm nowhere near the threshold to compel that) and registering with the EU VAT Import scheme when it launches in July, so I can collect EU VAT at point of sale and my EU customers will not incur a handling fee from their postal service. It's not necessary for me to register for UK VAT in order to register for EU VAT but it makes sense to do so, otherwise EU customers would be paying 17-27% more than anyone else.

Other than this, there is no option for me aside from clearly warning EU customers that their orders may be subject to VAT and a handling fee. I can't collect VAT on EU orders until July and I don't have access to DDP services that the likes of Warlord and Forgeworld are using. I'm not currently VAT registered so I can't zero-rate export orders. To be honest, I had hoped to be VAT registered before the end of 2020, but 2020 happened and for various reasons, I feel it's best for me to coordinate UK VAT registration with EU VAT registration as closely as possible.

Edit, one more thing: I'll need to switch my webshop over to a new ecommerce platform - one that allows for the collection of EU VAT only up to order values of 150 Euro. My current ecommerce provider shows no likelihood of offering such a facility.

So... lot of work to do before July!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:08:33 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2021, 03:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the specific details so who’s next ? We know your out there :)

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:22 PM »
okey dokey -

I'm way too small to be VAT registered for the time being, plus Mammoth miniatures is technically a side line of my art practice since that's what I'm officially self employed as.

So no price changes for the time being, no major postage increases and so far I've had no issues with orders being held up/charged when going into the EU.
I'll need to have a think about how I do things over the coming months but I'm basically too small at this point to really implement any major changes.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2021, 05:22:15 PM »
I'm not VAT registered but am reducing the vast majority of prices throughout my webshop.

Posted above.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2021, 05:56:59 PM »
Who’s next ?😀

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2021, 06:55:19 PM »
Who’s next ?😀

Fighting 15s is VAT registered and has been since 2007. It made importing a lot easier at the time. :) I am currently deducting VAT for EU customers, and in theory it is being collected instead by the various mail services.

When it becomes possible to register for the EU’s IOSS, I will look at it and evaluate whether the bookkeeping and hassle is worth it for a one-man business. It’s all very well being idealistic about registering to save EU customers the hassle of border taxes and collection charges, but rest of the world customers live with that anyway and I’m not employing someone just to do VAT. My daughter lives in Sweden, speaks Swedish fluently, and so that country would be my preferred option for VAT registration in the EU.

As for which U.K. businesses are registered for VAT, it is a legal requirement to have your VAT number on your e-commerce site (I stick it in the footer so it is clearly visible on all pages, plus tax shows pretty clearly in the shopping cart in the total breakdown). As is all too apparent, a number of VAT registered wargames businesses do not comply with the law, and have carts that don’t show VAT, making it hard to distinguish them from non-registered businesses.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:17:37 AM by Fighting15s »
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
I suppose the reality is a lot of the companies out there are one man bands , and there is a lot of technical and logistical issues to be overcome , like any business ,choices will be made based on the financial implications , I’ve enjoyed wargaming for 47 years , this is the first time that the real world has impacted on my hobby ,  I will get used to the new regime , I will make my purchases more selective , using European distributors more and my wife may get that new bathroom quicker than she thinks😂😂

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2021, 08:08:06 AM »
My bad!

Oh, I had not anyone in particular in mind. after xx years as an admin on this forum one gets a subtle feel for when a thread starts sliding in the wrong direction. :)

Offline cp models

• Scientist
    • checkPoint Miniatures
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2021, 05:38:27 PM »
I am not VAT registered and do have a news section with current details of the situation regarding EU orders on the site

Rather more problematic is knowing whether people have seen and read it, hopefully they have :D

For a small one band outfit like me I doubt that I shall register for EU VAT in July, to be honest the extra paper work sounds like a nightmare and I hate the paper work I already have to do, so dont want more

Online market places are a possible solution but they have their own problems, so will look into this option if it becomes necessary as an extra option for EU customers

I would be interested in any feedback from any one who has ordered from us recently from the EU, did you get charged or did it make it through okay, always interested in feed back

Hope this helps

Mark
Cp models