Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79351 times)

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2021, 12:05:32 PM »
Willy thanks for the info
It seems that ordering with not-VAT registered companies will be expensive (twice VAT of each around 20%) is steep.
And for small orders (under € 22) until july 1st maybe the handlings charge can be a lot.

Of course succes with Crisis 2021 and hopefully it will go on in November. Tough decision I think to make.

greetigns
jan

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »
Willy thanks for the info
It seems that ordering with not-VAT registered companies will be expensive (twice VAT of each around 20%) is steep.
And for small orders (under € 22) until july 1st maybe the handlings charge can be a lot.

I'm not VAT registered but am reducing the vast majority of prices throughout my webshop.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »
I have now talked to the 8 companies that I deal with so far these are reply’s
2 companies Warlord and perry are vat registered and charge at source paying the relevant charges this is gold standard
Caliver books are vat registered but will not  be charging zero vat to Europe but instead lower postage so still vat and handling charges
Footsore are vat registered but again no zero vat , instead they will reimburse vat charges with proof complicated I think
Wargames foundry are looking into what to do
Arcane scenery vat still charged so if order over 22€ vat charged and handling charge
Newline are not vat registered so customs etc
1st corps are not vat registered so customs apply
hope this helps for those in Europe

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2021, 03:24:08 PM »
Caliver books are vat registered but will not  be charging zero vat to Europe but instead lower postage so still vat and handling charges

Remember that, in the UK at least, books do not have VAT on them.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2021, 04:44:28 PM »
Order#1 from the UK in December ( VAT registered company but irrelevant then) Arrived in January via courier service.
48 figures net worth £84 + £9 p&P  Total spend £93 .Average price for 1 figure £1.93

Order #2  from the UK in January ( got here in 6 days!) ( company Not VAT registered ) Arrived in January via courier service( actually the same as order #1!)
50 figures net worth £82.5 + £16 p&p + 14£ (16€) Customs charge + £9 (10 €) 'handling charge' Total spend £ 121 ( depending on conversion rate) Average price per figure £2.42.

Guess I'm going to be very selective in what I buy next. I will end up with less toys, but as I, just as the most of us, have a huge lead mountain I'll just dig into that. What I'm not going to do is add nearly 50% to my hobby budget. Simple economics will always 'win' out.

Future of Crisis show still very uncertain. Aside from the Covid 19 situation, I would have to start preparing in late March/ early April to get ready by November. Frankly impossible now.My crystal ball is extremely cloudy  :D

If, and when Crisis is hosted (scheduled for November 6th) it will probably be a smaller, more European flavoured one, as UK traders will face an enormous amount of paperwork just to get here.
Have tried to find my way into Customs regulations but gave up ( for the time being)  after getting wildly different answers. If it becomes any clearer I'll keep everyone posted. Changing the VAT system again in July really doesn't help either because any relevant info ( not that we're getting any now!), could become irrelevant by that time.

European retailers might be a blessing and a (big) partial solution if they can keep up with their imports.

Luckily also have a large collection of unpainted miniatures but will still need a select number of miniatures to create full armies.

Also think for EU wargamers the best and most affordable option for especially small orders will be EU retaillers although prices will certainly too rise.

A shift to EU based companies might als be part of the solution although very few large players sadly exist (we might need a list here)

And also shows might help, have been frequenting Crisis for years (started when it was still organized in the Metropolis Complex)

But with Brexit and Covid that sounds hard to organize for this year too, that said plenty of miniatures still to paint for probably a decade or two.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2021, 06:16:57 PM »
Yes with books there is no vat , but for their figures etc there will be

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2021, 11:31:13 PM »
Deepcut is VAT-registered, so pre-Brexit you’d have paid the VAT in the total price at the point of purchase.

Post Brexit, Deepcut should deduct the VAT and via courier for an order over £135 you’d instead pay the VAT on entry to the UK. Additionally, you would pay VAT on the actual delivery cost via UPS. So the sting is only the handling charge, the extra VAT on the delivery charge, and whatever variation on order value is due to the currency conversion rate used. Divide that across the total and the premium isn’t that high in percentage terms. I repeat that you would have paid the VAT on the mats anyway: it’s just a shock to have it charged separately.

So confirmed with Deepcut that Vat was not applied at point if order - though it’s not clear from non bespoke items on website if prices include vat or not or it is/isn’t applied at the moment - so I will know fir next time I guess .

So now just need to work out why UPS have charged 30% of the order value as duty + then the handling fee. No values on the packaging just received to work that out from. So it’s a query with UPS.

On a plus I ordered bespoke items 3rd Jan , turned up today.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:54:59 PM by Deedles »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
Understandable, but I’m sure that things will improve once everyone becomes familiar with the new realities.

Paperwork appears to be a major problem. I’m hearing stories about hassle with basic stuff e.g. referring to the U.K. rather than Great Britain on documents. It makes sense with the U.K. being Great Britain plus Northern Ireland, but it’s not standard practice for me at least.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:10:42 PM by Citizen Sade »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »
Seems it getting worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctts726pRhQ

"...enormous bureaucratic regulation..."

Why am I not surprised.

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »
That and total ignorance by a lot of (mostly smaller) logistic companies

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »
I know it is tricky in this case, but please steer away from the political issues and keep this focused on the hands-on, daily-life aspects.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »
I have a question about the CN22 customs declaration form for those experienced in such matters. While I’m not exporting as a business per se, I do occasionally sell second hand stuff from my lead pile to people who aren’t in Great Britain.

When I’ve completed this form in the past, I’ve ticked the Contents box for Sale of Goods and left the section about HS tariff no. & origin blank. To play it safe during the current disruption, I’m assuming that the correct HS tariff no. to use is 9503.00.

Quote from: “WCO”
Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars and similar wheeled toys; dolls' carriages; dolls; other toys; reduced-size ("scale") models and similar recreational models, working or not; puzzles of all kinds.

Also, that I’d be best off putting England or Great Britain as the origin.

Am I right in my assumptions? Thanks.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »
I am waiting for a shipment from Eureka UK. When I receive it, will let you know what happened.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:44:20 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2021, 04:40:01 PM »
For items ordered from the EU by UK customers the rules are, according to .Gov website, as follows for charges:

If over 150 Euros (£135) in value then the seller should deduct the 20% VAT on the price and the courier will, for a fee,  collect the VAT and any other duties from the customer in the UK; goods will be held until the money owed is paid.

If under £135 then the seller in the EU is supposed to collect the VAT at 20%, pay to register with Her Majesty's Revenue ands Customs in the UK and pay the VAT to the UK tax authorities.

Many smaller companies who do very little business to the UK might feel it's not worth their while to spend money and time registering for paying taxes in the UK and will just not bother.

As far as I'm aware these rules will be coming into force for sales the other way later in the year as they are adopted by the EU.

I have friends who import/export and the rules of origin stuff is what is causing them headaches as many goods are the product of global supply chains.

Regarding trucks the people I know importing one type of goods are not having problems; the problem is when a truck has 3000 parcels on board from different senders and each one has it's own separate paperwork, rules and taxes.

It's the rules we have now and what we will have to live with unless something else can be negotiated.

My suspicion is that we will become limited to our own internal market and have to like it or lump it.

Or vendors will impose a minimum spend that takes the VAT headache away from them, although increasing the costs somewhat for the buyer.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:52:29 PM by Spinal Tap »