Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79439 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
Industria mechanika:

That's on the UK citizens so if you're one of them, contact your representatives and yell at them instead of the victims of the intentional result of brexit xenopobia.

Interesting marketing tactic...labelling potential customers as xenophobic

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2021, 07:18:01 PM »
Interesting marketing tactic...labelling potential customers as xenophobic

It does read like he's been the victim of some grief from a lovely Brit or two though.

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2021, 08:50:05 PM »
Hi Nick,
yes, it's going from bad to horrible. Problem lies with the courier services and to a lesser degree customs who actually can now 'demand' any handling fee they want.
As you know we're already compiling a list of EU traders on another thread on this forum, as I'm I'm afraid orders from the UK will dry up completely. So sad....
Going to a British wargames show is also a bit of a dead end as the maximum allowed at Customs is 390€

It’s Ian, but I’ve been called Nick so many times because of my link with Eureka, that I’m used to it 🙂

Handling fees in The Netherlands are only 13 euros for standard post (17.5 euros for registered). You’d be better off shipping to a friend across a nearby border. Still twice the charge of Germany, though.

Best, Ian
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2021, 09:10:24 AM »
It’s Ian, but I’ve been called Nick so many times because of my link with Eureka, that I’m used to it 🙂

Handling fees in The Netherlands are only 13 euros for standard post (17.5 euros for registered). You’d be better off shipping to a friend across a nearby border. Still twice the charge of Germany, though.

Best, Ian

Sorry IAN!!!!!!  :D

Really don't think this is a solution. Plenty of Dutch gamers being 'hit' wit the same extortionate rates.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
This is a new one on me , a company I deal with a lot has this on its site

All non UK shipping includes an additional £6 charge as a minimal postage cost.

That’s on top of a 17% postage and packing

It discourages small orders  to EU for sure

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
I queried it and got the following explanation.

We have added the £6 additional postage instead of a % increase on the postage for 2 reasons.
Since we have removed VAT, the total order cost  of course is less. As we work out postage cost on total order costs this is would have left us out of pocket on postal charges.
If we had upped the % costs from 17% to 25% this would have made larger order postage really expensive to customers. As it is , we are still taking a small hit on small orders.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #201 on: February 06, 2021, 01:24:59 PM »
I, for one, am not keen on spending a whole lot of time at calculating and guessing what the bottom line will be when I put in an order.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #202 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:10 PM »
I, for one, am not keen on spending a whole lot of time at calculating and guessing what the bottom line will be when I put in an order.

And that is the really annoying thing about it all.

You put in a order for say £82 + 9£ p&p and you end up paying 131€. Or worse...as in some cases.
No more UK orders from me for the time being. Neither will many (any?)  of my wargaming friends.
 I'll try to source my toys from EU dealers. And what I can't obtain... oh well...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2021, 07:01:34 PM »
There is no good substitutes for a lot of wargames stuff which is manufactured in the UK at the moment. I am monitoring my local retailers, hoping they can absorb at least a part of the import fees.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:28:06 AM by Hammers »

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2021, 09:09:14 PM »
And that is the really annoying thing about it all.

You put in a order for say £82 + 9£ p&p and you end up paying 131€. Or worse...as in some cases.
No more UK orders from me for the time being. Neither will many (any?)  of my wargaming friends.
 I'll try to source my toys from EU dealers. And what I can't obtain... oh well...

Believe me, Willie, we small UK wargames businesses are looking at options. But only the EU’s IOSS system from 1 July offers a glimpse of hope, provided it does not require us to appoint an intermediary. If it does require one, then it’s a non-starter.

Delivery duties paid (DDP), due shortly from Royal Mail, is impractical for the small business with low sales to Europe, plus is expensive. Royal Mail requires a volume of more than £5000 of sales a year to the EU, and the system is only initially for tracked and signed parcels. For Belgium the cost is £9.70, plus a £5 fee, and tracked and signed adds almost £5 to delivery for a parcel that normally costs £9 to send (750g). So the premium to have your import tax paid in advance is almost £20. You still also have the VAT, collected at the point of sale in the shopping cart. In short, compared with Belgium post’s VAT collection fee of 24 euros, there is minimal saving.

So how about using the marketplaces to handle tax? Amazon is a complete no-no. I note that rather than be bothered to handle VAT collection to EU buyers itself, it now requires U.K. sellers to send items DDP to their EU customers. This causes the same cost issues I’ve just outlined.

EBay is a possibility. However, it’s not economic for small value items because of listing costs, final sales percentages, and eBay shop costs. Not for small businesses. We could do it by listing larger bags of figures instead of standard small packs, in effect using the sales model that Old Glory has used for years. But prices would necessarily have to be higher. I for one am still looking at this route, but want to know the full tax implications on exports before trialling it.

Best, Ian

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2021, 03:13:59 AM »
Believe me, Willie, we small UK wargames businesses are looking at options. But only the EU’s IOSS system from 1 July offers a glimpse of hope, provided it does not require us to appoint an intermediary. If it does require one, then it’s a non-starter.

Why is an intermediary a non-starter?

Here in Spain we have co-ops for businesses only... especially small businesses.

BTW... for somebody like GW, as they have distributors all over the EU, I would imagine that they are going to see price increases, but not in the order of magnitude some folks are talking about direct buys from the UK. Do you think that will be reflected in their web sites on line?

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
Why is an intermediary a non-starter?

Here in Spain we have co-ops for businesses only... especially small businesses.

BTW... for somebody like GW, as they have distributors all over the EU, I would imagine that they are going to see price increases, but not in the order of magnitude some folks are talking about direct buys from the UK. Do you think that will be reflected in their web sites on line?

Why? Cost. They’re not free.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2021, 03:26:02 PM »
Why? Cost. They’re not free.

True... however, not much is.

Perhaps an EU Co-op which serves as a point of sale to EU customers could be made to handle the paperwork for a small commission on sales from the UK.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2021, 04:36:03 PM »
There is a story going around in German wargaming forums that a guy running an online shop visited a logistic center oft a certain large logistic company and a person told him that more and more containers from uk piling up, because of a lack oft manpower and error s in the paper work. And its getting worse. He doesn't expect bis parcels from UK in the next 4 weeks, despite there nicht be already in Germany.
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2021, 05:19:10 PM »
There is a story going around in German wargaming forums that a guy running an online shop visited a logistic center oft a certain large logistic company and a person told him that more and more containers from uk piling up, because of a lack oft manpower and error s in the paper work. And its getting worse. He doesn't expect bis parcels from UK in the next 4 weeks, despite there nicht be already in Germany.

No offence but that is possibly the vaguest post I’ve read on LAF  lol