Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79388 times)

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2021, 07:04:26 PM »
No offence but that is possibly the vaguest post I’ve read on LAF  lol

No offence taken  lol
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2021, 10:01:33 PM »
Now I got the source for the rumour concerning the backlog at the lostistic site.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1930367923768756&id=839599902845569
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:06:32 PM by Wellington »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »
I wonder if that is why it's virtually impossible to find a decent selection of the Frostgrave plastic box sets at any of the EU traders currently.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2021, 05:56:50 AM »
I wonder if that is why it's virtually impossible to find a decent selection of the Frostgrave plastic box sets at any of the EU traders currently.

Not true. Alphaspel.se in Stockholm is very well stocked (no pun!) on almost all Frostgrave plastic kits.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2021, 07:30:40 AM »

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2021, 11:01:12 AM »
Not true. Alphaspel.se in Stockholm is very well stocked (no pun!) on almost all Frostgrave plastic kits.

Thanks, had not heard of that store before.  Sadly their €50 minimum shipping to here for a €29 box of figures is somewhat out of my price range. :?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »
Thanks, had not heard of that store before.  Sadly their €50 minimum shipping to here for a €29 box of figures is somewhat out of my price range. :?

Oh shit... Well I can see that. Swedish shipping is generally overpriced, but I feel there is something wrong with that estimate.

A box measuring a 220x180x70 mm, weight up to 2 kg should cost something like 18 euro. Do they force tracking and insurance?

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2021, 11:14:46 AM »
And its the cardboard

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55878062

Yup, it's a problem. I'm having to source boxes from different suppliers as my regulars are affected by work restrictions brought on by Covid, not necessarily the cardboard drought. Fortunately, I don't need as many boxes as I used to nowadays. :)
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
Oh shit... Well I can see that. Swedish shipping is generally overpriced, but I feel there is something wrong with that estimate.

A box measuring a 220x180x70 mm, weight up to 2 kg should cost something like 18 euro. Do they force tracking and insurance?

Courier delivery only to Spain. For some reason they have crossed Spain (and Czech Republic) off their €18 postal list. I was after 2 boxes but got that shipping charge so took 1 box out of the order but the shipping cost did not change.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2021, 01:08:44 PM »
Courier delivery only to Spain. For some reason they have crossed Spain (and Czech Republic) off their €18 postal list. I was after 2 boxes but got that shipping charge so took 1 box out of the order but the shipping cost did not change.

Unfortunately I only visit Stockholm sporadically or I could help you out.

They are really nice people so if you have a smidgen of English I am sure you could give them a call and try to sort out an alternate mode of shipping. *If* you think it is worth your trouble.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
Just wanted to express my gratitude to Ian, Andrew and others in this thread for the insightful comments, especially the "behind-the-scenes" stuff of the processes and considerations us simple customers might not be aware of. These are confusing times, so the offered information has been most helpful.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2021, 03:05:52 PM »
Just wanted to express my gratitude to Ian, Andrew and others in this thread for the insightful comments, especially the "behind-the-scenes" stuff of the processes and considerations us simple customers might not be aware of. These are confusing times, so the offered information has been most helpful.

Thanks.

I was trying to work out what the various handling fees were for the different EU postal services, but most of the sites don't seem very forthcoming with that information. The absolute worst so far is Belgian post (24 euros, 32 euros for shipments of 150+ euros), then Dutch post (13 euros, 17.5 euros for express mail), Austria is at 10 euros, Sweden at 75SEK (7-ish euros) and then bargain basement Germany at 6 euros. The UK's Royal Mail charge by comparison is £8, which we all grumble about but it could be worse. Our friends in the Low Countries seems particularly saddled with postal services out to make a lot of money from collecting VAT, which is why the Tin Soldiers crew are howling so much.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2021, 03:40:46 PM »
I was trying to work out what the various handling fees were for the different EU postal services, but most of the sites don't seem very forthcoming with that information. The absolute worst so far is Belgian post (24 euros, 32 euros for shipments of 150+ euros), then Dutch post (13 euros, 17.5 euros for express mail), Austria is at 10 euros, Sweden at 75SEK (7-ish euros) and then bargain basement Germany at 6 euros. The UK's Royal Mail charge by comparison is £8, which we all grumble about but it could be worse. Our friends in the Low Countries seems particularly saddled with postal services out to make a lot of money from collecting VAT, which is why the Tin Soldiers crew are howling so much.

It's a nightmare, isn't it! I wanted to put together a list of the fees and VAT threshold for each country, as apparently to full comply with EU rules everyone in the world who sells to an EU customer has to make it easy for that customer to work out exactly what they'll pay overall. The best source (unverified but hopefully accurate) is that Royal Mail DDP page, as that has the VAT threshold and basic DDU fees, but not the fees for higher value packages that you've found.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:43:26 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »
6 whole euros in Germany? Ha!
May I present to you the very competitive rates of the Finnish postal service (Posti): €2.90.
A bottle of wine may easily cost you a tenner and the standard VAT rate may be 24%, but turns out there's one thing that's actually cheap here.
(Appears to be independent of the value: https://www.posti.fi/en/customer-support/receiving/import-clearance/handling-fee-for-items-requiring-customs-clearance
Also appears to be absent from the Royal Mail info Andrew referred to from what I could see; not sure why, but anyway, here it is.)