Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:09:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Phalangite size comparsion b/w manufacturers ?  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
Re: Phalangite size comparsion b/w manufacturers ?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 04:29:00 PM »
Mike,
Just measured a figure, I'd say 85/86cm or just under 3and a half inches.
The Foundry cavalry are on the smaller side so might look a bit out of place and boy are they expensive!

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 04:58:04 PM »
Thank you Westbury, very kind of you to take the time to provide the measurement.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 05:57:50 PM »
Does anyone know how the Foundry Companion Cavalry compares in size to the plastic phalangites?  I'm thinking of getting Victrix phalangites with Foundry cavalry but I know the Foundry cavalry can be on the small side.

The Foundry Companions are large enough and the horses tall to fit with Victrix foot. Victrix cavalry outsize Foundry, Aventine, and Vendel- which used to be the large end of the scale. Still they can exist in separate units.

I hope to post a size compare soon.
JJonas

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
Of course 85/86cm should have 85/86mm  lol :D

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
Here is the latest side by side of various 28mm Companion cavalry I have. The Victrix seems to fit better in photography, but that is an effect of foreshortening. Side by side the differences are enhanced. All of these are usually command figures or in separate units. The biggest issue with the Victrix is the replacing of the xyston spears as some have already snapped and I'm not confident they will last through driving to a game in box They are super for dioramas.

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »
Thank you for the pictures Jjonas.

It looks like the Foundry horses and Victrix horses are close in size.  The issue with Victrix seems to be the rider.  I have seen pictures here on LAF that show that the Victrix (seated) riders are the same height as the standing infantry.  The figures are lovely but they really made a mess of the set with the size of the miniatures.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »
Regarding Victrix cavalry these photo's seem to disguise (not deliberately I'm sure) just how big they are. Both the rider and horse are over sized when compared to others and when compared to the Victrix infantry so when together they just look wrong, you certainly wouldn't mix them with others in the same unit and I think even as separate units they would still look odd. To give a fairly simple example we use 40mm x 50mm for our 'heavy' cavalry, 2 to a base which all other manufacturers cope with no problem but 2 Victrix companions is a real squeeze.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 04:31:22 AM »

Regarding Victrix cavalry these photo's seem to disguise (not deliberately I'm sure) just how big they are.

It’s very difficult to show. I staggered the model so tallest was in the middle so you can see the angle of size as it tapers.

Obviously the best way is to make an X-ray overlay. But I’m not trying to get that anal ;). Suffice to say - I am disappointed that they are not in scale, and super hero pro wrestler bulky, not in line with their own infantry models of the same period.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 06:36:06 AM »
Gotta agree Jeff, your photos do seem to inadvertently disguise how gargantuan the Victrix really cavalry are :D Problem is, they look great! I love the sculpts; I just wish they weren't 1.5x as big as everything else.

I think the photo with the Relic cavalry at the other end shows it best, though. I really don't think of Relic as particularly tiny, but then I put them next to the Victrix cav and WHAMMO! It's like one unit is riding dinosaurs lol
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 04:23:32 PM »
Ok- I agree. I think this needs a more forensic approach. I will see if I can get side by side photos with a reference point so they can be aligned. That will make it clearer and then I can add them in a more coherent presentation- thanks.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 05:50:50 PM »
Here are a few side by sides:
From Aventine's small horses to Foundry and then Relic. Photos just don't quite show it, but it is a 3D thing. The Obvious issue with the Victrix horses not fitting on 75mm bases easily is typical of plastic figures now where often the figure footprint is geared to skirmish games rather than ranked up side-by-side. Of course this allows more dynamic poses.

2[/img]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:56:15 PM by Jjonas »

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 07:19:07 PM »
"super hero pro wrestler" I love that  lol
Must add it to the rules '+1 if super hero pro wrestler'
On a side note, I'd not really considered the Vendel and Relic for our project as I didn't think they were readily available but you keep showing nicely painted versions of them  :( lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 10:42:16 PM »
Phalangites!
left to right: Crusader, Aventine, Essex

close up
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 12:32:04 AM »
Interesting how well the older Essex figure still works with the newer models. I do remember it being a real pain gluing all the right arms onto mine though...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »
Interesting how well the older Essex figure still works with the newer models. I do remember it being a real pain gluing all the right arms onto mine though...

Oh yes tell me about it.....I have only had to stick the one arm on that figure so far, what a game that was....dreading doing all his mates