Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trying to understand firing in Flintloque  (Read 1273 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Trying to understand firing in Flintloque
« on: January 14, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »
So the rules for firing in Flintloque have me a bit turned around.

When you Quick March you get a 1 column shift to the right on your weapon chart.

Is that just to see if the weapon can fire? And then you use the actual range for hit percentage and impact?

Offline katie

• Scientist
Re: Trying to understand firing in Flintloque
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:29 PM »
This was my conclusion on the process:

Pick a target — the range bands in the figure's profile contain two numbers for their weapon. X/Y means there's an X percent chance of hitting and the impact will be Y.

Cover, weather and the state of the firing figure (being wounded and so on) affect the percentage chance of hitting.

If the figure has moved quickly, they may not be able to shoot at longer ranges. If the figure ran at double march they usually can't shoot at all.

Some shooting penalties (notably the one for moving quickly) are a "column shift". This means, instead of the percent chance of hitting from the range band of your target, you use the percent chance from the next column along (and add weather/cover etc to that). Column shifts are cumulative. If you end up in a column to the right with no numbers (or off the table) you can't hit them. If you end up off the side to the left, use the left-most column number.

You always read the impact value from the "real" range of the target.

Roll under your %age chance to hit them. Roll a double-odd and your weapon misfires. Always a miss, and your gun is unloaded. Even-doubles are critical hits. Double the impact.

Then the target figure gets to see how much it hurt. They roll a D10, add their "steady" value (how tough they are) and subtract the impact of the weapon.

Less than zero and they're immediately dead. 10+ and they're fine. In between they take a number of hits. They don't count as wounds yet (so they don't affect shooting or fighting) but they do affect waking the figure up. hits are converted to wounds at the end of the turn — it's part of trying to simulate simultaneous movement.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »
Some shooting penalties (notably the one for moving quickly) are a "column shift". This means, instead of the percent chance of hitting from the range band of your target, you use the percent chance from the next column along (and add weather/cover etc to that). Column shifts are cumulative. If you end up in a column to the right with no numbers (or off the table) you can't hit them. If you end up off the side to the left, use the left-most column number.

Your thinking was what I thought as well but this issue there is that if you follow it then Quick March fire gets penalised twice since it is also gets -20% modifier applied.

I asked on the forum but Gavin's answer wasn't really helpful.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 09:50:09 PM »
After re-reading the rules many, many times I can't see the "-1 column shift" being mentioned at all.

Is it possible that it is a holdover from a previous version?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:06:32 AM »
So in v2 of the rules there was much use of column shifts and each weapon had a lot more columns in its stat bar. I think when they wrote v3 they started out with them or maybe intended to use them but didn't and, for some reason, didn't remove the references to it.

In fact the top two rows of each weapon stat box could be removed as they are totally unnecessary

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:53:28 PM »
"penalised twice"

I don't think I've ever noticed. It's so flipping hard to shoot anyone in FL that in general my troops are either running around like billy-oh to get close enough to wallop someone or standing very, very, very, very, still and aiming...