Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: warlord hail cesar miniature size consistency  (Read 2819 times)

Offline kansuke

• Lurker
warlord hail cesar miniature size consistency
« on: January 14, 2021, 11:49:12 PM »
One of my latest buy are some Hail Caesar peltast miniatures.
They are gorgeous but very small, even smaller than foundry.
I love them I don't want to mix whit bigger 28mm (in fact I measured them whit a caliper and they are 25mm feet to eyes).
Phalangites seem a lot bigger than them.

So problem is about size consistency, cause I would like to buy some other warlord miniature to make a small ancient skirmish, and some other to a punic war era army, but I will not like to have a mix of size so different!

Offline Descho

• Schoolboy
Re: warlord hail cesar miniature size consistency
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 07:19:56 AM »
I have the EIR Auxiliaries and Praetorians, and there is a size diffrence between the two sets. To my knowledge the EIR Legionaries are also rather small, but I have not bought them due to that.

If you are unsure about size, try to google for comparisions with other manufacturers. Most of the time somebody has done that already and you can see for yourself how tall the miniatures are compared to ones you are more familiar with.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:56:48 AM »
Hi, if I remember Warlord Games purchased the Geek range miniatures. That’s why they are of a smaller scale.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:12:25 AM »
I think it is a “warning” to all about Warlord figures. Unlike other manufacturers with a consistent “style”, Warlord have bought up other manufacturers’ ranges all of different styles and size. I can think of their ex-Immortal Miniatures Greek/Persian range,Cutting Edge “Bronze Age” ranges plus some of their Romano-British range.

Nice figures but Caveat Emptor!

Offline kansuke

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
I try to find comparisons but I cannot fond each miniature warlord sell so is not easy to tell whic set is in fact a 25mm!
I think the pieces I have are ex immortal, but if I'm not wrong also some plastic was in Immortal range to and they are bigger!

In fact I know warlord size consistency is a problem but this is at another level!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 07:26:25 PM »
I think it is a “warning” to all about Warlord figures. Unlike other manufacturers with a consistent “style”, Warlord have bought up other manufacturers’ ranges all of different styles and size. I can think of their ex-Immortal Miniatures Greek/Persian range,Cutting Edge “Bronze Age” ranges plus some of their Romano-British range.

Nice figures but Caveat Emptor!

This!

There isn’t a Hail Caesar figure range, just various figures that Warlord have acquired and badged up as HC.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »
Yep, my first minis I purchased were a box of "Hail Caesar" Ancient Greek hoplites. Three sprues show they were made by a company called "Immortal", and while they're not bad, they are TINY. As said above, the Macedonian phalangites also put out as "Hail Caesar" by Warlord tower over them.
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 12:19:20 AM »

The middle plastic figure in this pictures are Warlord ex-Immortal Greek hoplites. As you can see they are quite slim and proportional but only slightly shorter than chunkier 28mm figures. The metal figures match up with these very well. The Macedonian phalangites are the odd ones out being significantly chunkier (not ex-Immortal)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
Yes - Warlord Games has a lot of mix and match size wise.

Basically their Barbarians (Celts, germans, britons, radians) are all about the same size.

Their Greek hoplites have their own sizes (these were bought from an old company called Immortal Miniatures). The Persians also match up in that scale. I have found the Phalangites seem to be a little bit bigger than their hoplites, but not by much.

The Caesarian Romans are their own, and match closer to larger scales like Victrix Miniatures.

Their Imperial Romans are quite short, and are some of their first minis.. They will look tiny against anything out there!

I've found that with foundry, warlord's caesarians match closest for the chunkier size, or victrix if you are concerned with sizing. Everything else warlord has is a tad bit smaller. 

I did a post on my blog a few years back showing size differences from warlord and other companies that are part of the Greek / Hellenistic world. Hope it helps:

From left to right its:
Black Tree Design, Foundry Hoplite, Warlord Hoplite, Warlord Metal Hoplite, Wargames Factory Persian, Victrix Hoplite, Warlord Phalangite.

Then warlord also creates some absolute giants... haha. Don't mess with Vercingetorix.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »
Wow, Vercingetorix is a big lad! No wonder he costs £2.50. Who’s figures are the hoplite types next to him?

Offline kansuke

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 07:10:47 PM »
I read just now latest answer.
So all pre republican Rome models seems will fits whit my peltasts well.
Macedonian are bigger .. not from immortals, not much smaller than Victrix.

I was thinking to use them as part of a Carthaginian army conversion project togheter some Agema miniatures if they fit well.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 06:28:48 AM »
Yes, the Warlord metal Greeks were sized to fit their plastic ones.

Agema plastics are slimmer than Victrix so they might match up very well. 

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 03:34:45 AM »
Wow, Vercingetorix is a big lad! No wonder he costs £2.50. Who’s figures are the hoplite types next to him?

Those are Warlord figures as well. They are some Hoplite generals. I believe they're either attacking or defending ones on the warlord website.