Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:59:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland  (Read 41728 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »

Been a while since the last installment, but various things have been holding up the old painting schedule lately. But anyway, got back on track this week and so we can have another 'Back to Africa' post.

One summer while renting a house in the Dordogne (well hark at Mr. La-de-da!) I came across this book in the owner's library, and was instantly captivated by it. I think Richard Francis Burton has always been my favourite one of the "Darkest Africa" explorers because he was such an odd character. Farwell's book gives the impression of a man who consistently fell out with every single person he ever met, in fact one gets the distinct impression that locked alone in an empty room he would still somehow get into an argument. This flaw of his I actually find appealing, because I'm a bit like that sometimes. Coupled with his marvelous and dangerous exploits penetrating the forbidden world of Islam in disguise, and his most un-Victorian desire to shock (he seemed somewhat obsessed with the sexual habits of native cultures, and had a sideline as a publisher of mucky books) he makes for a really fascinating character.

Rupert Everett in one of his (Burtonesque sex-obsessed) documentaries, dubbed him The Victorian Sex Explorer. (By the way, did anyone see his programme on Lord Byron? It was a hoot. They should make him make more sex-docs about famous historical figures, they are really funny).

Anyway, in 1855, in an expedition supported by the Royal Geographical Society and the East India Company, he set out to explore the interior of the Somali country. With him went Lieutenants John Hanning Speke, G. E. Herne, William Stroyan and a motley band of Egyptian, Arab and African porters and guards. Burton had just returned from a daring solo trip to the holy city of Harar, deep in unexplored territory, and never before seen by European eyes. It wasn't long before the expedition ran into trouble.

Not long after they had made camp near the sea, Burton heard shots. He found two of his porters firing warning shots over the heads of a small band of horsemen. Burton chastised his men, telling them not to fire warning shots, but that they should "shoot into, not above, a crowd."  (Well, that's neighbourly, isn't it?) Burton suspected they were scouts, the usual precursor to a raid, but he apparently found their story plausible and so thought no more about it. Bad move.

You have to imagine it's nighttime.

In the dead of night Burton was awoken by the a sharp cry of alarm. They were under attack by Somalis and there was no sign of most of his men. Burton, Herne and Speke found themselves caught in a desperate struggle, under club, spear and javelin attack from masses of tribesmen who had overrun the camp. Burton had armed himself with a sabre, while Herne and Speke brandished Colt pistols, which they used to deadly effect.

The ammunition ran low, but they had far from run out of Somalis, so Burton gave the word to escape. As he dashed into the darkness a thrown javelin transfixed his face (in through one cheek and out the other) but somehow he managed to escape with the spear still stuck in his head. Next morning he ran into Herne, who had escaped mostly unharmed.

After nicking himself for a third time with his sabre, Burton was forced to concede that it might,
after all, be prudent to await the arrival of the rest of the porters with his GILLETTE FUSION.

But Speke was not so lucky. He had been captured by the raiders and staked out. They proceeded to inflict eleven spear wounds on him just for the fun of it (the devils!), yet somehow, mostly by being British, he managed to free himself and escape, catching up with Burton and Herne in the morning.

Speke, a much less experienced Victorian Sex Tourist than Burton, is forced to take drastic
measures when he once again forgets his safeword.

Upon returning to the looted camp when the raiders had gone, they found the body of Lt. Stroyan. He had been pierced by many spear and sword wounds, and he had numerous bruises caused by war-clubs. Depressed at the death of their friend, who it appears had been the life and soul of the party, the explorers took his corpse and departed by Dhow for Aden. The expedition had ended in disaster, and Burton was in hot water with the powers that be.

With the Crimean war in full swing, Burton returned to his army career. He was put in charge of a unit of Bashi-Bazouks. True to form, they immediately mutinied. Good old Dick. Of course, later on Burton would famously begin a feud with Speke all over something as petty as the source of the Nile, but that is a story for another day...

Burton's account of the the incident can be found in the Post Script of his book First Footsteps in East Africa, which is mostly concerned with his trip to Harar. I'll tell you what you won't find in there though...

...Appendix IV, that's what. And I'll tell you for why. It's a frank description of Burton's observations of the sexual habits of the Somali people. What? We're not allowed to read that, even in this day and age? Dick must be turning in his grave. Anybody know of an edition that does include Appendix IV? I'd quite like to read it. Um, for scientific and anthropological reasons, of course.

Anyway, how about a few pics of my little Somali project? (about time)

The jubilant tribesmen ransack the camp. Still need to paint a lot more Somali boys yet.

Some close-ups of the lads...

Burton mentions war-clubs a lot in his account, and I recall reading elsewhere that many Somali warrior fought merely with "sticks", so I gave a couple of them knobkerrie-style clubs.

You'll notice some of them have war-paint. I have no historical basis for this, I just thought it looked cool on the Hollywood Somalis...

...Like this fellow.

Group shot of some of my other Somali figures. The ones with firearms are more for gaming the campaigns against the so-called Mad Mullah (1890s-1920s) than to send against 1850s explorers.

This is the official Foundry Model Soldier Hobby (no really, they actually call it something like that in one of their books) Richard Burton figure. He's been converted slightly by the addition of a sabre to his left hand. A dildo or packet of French Ticklers would be equally appropriate.

Foundry do actually do a Speke figure, but he didn't have the right vibe for this (he's more of a 'where's the source of that damn Nile?' Speke), so I used this Indian Mutiny figure. He has a nice 1850s look about him. Need to find a couple more like him for Herne and Stroyan if we're going to game this.

Camels and luggage. The damn luggage held up the project for about a week. I find I loathe painting things like this for some reason, and I really dragged my heels with this bit.

"Well Jack, this is a bit more bloody like it, eh?"

:)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:24:33 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Back to Africa: Burton and Speke in the Somali Country
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
Some nice paint work there plynkes.

I see you blame the luggage for the hold up when I think it was in fact that you were enjoying painting the ladies TOO much.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »
Wow! I somehow knew that was Speke when I saw that miniature, so it's a great choice. His white shirt (just like all those robes) looks really nice in the pictures, how did you paint it?

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
Really nice paint job as always  :-* :-* :-*

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:32:05 PM »
Great Job!  I think it is only natural that Burton would have a saber as he was one of the great swordsman ( lol) of Europe.  Probably my favorite portrait of him is the one in fencing gear with that scarred villainous face - he really does look like a brothel creeper.  Of course the framed one on my wall is that of him as the young romantic explorer in Arab gear from the trip to Mecca. I really like the Speke mini too - the priggishness comes through.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:03 PM »
Your whites are superb (listen to us, like a bunch of Daz housewives) and this chap...

...is excellent too, the shot of him in the pic with the union flag is my favourite.

Who makes the camels? I need some of them.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »

:-* Really nice paint job.
Loved the story too!  lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
Nice work on the miniatures Dylan and naturally the storyline.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:09:36 AM »
Great job Plynkes.  I enjoyed the retelling of that failed first outing.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:05 AM »
Wonderful paint jobs - really nice.  :)

I was under the impression Foundry's Indian Mutiny range is a little smaller than their Darkest Africa. It looks like u gave Speke a little "padding" in his base - was that the case? If it was intentional it was well done and hardly noticeable.

The Somali's spears are BIG! Did they come with the figures?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »
Absolutely splendid story, great paint job and super game.  Thank you , I really enjoyed it.

:-* :-* :-*
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »
Brilliant all round,

great figures, great story

and some intriguing real historical facts awesome  :-*

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:33 AM »
Ausgezeichnet Sir !

Inspiration is the greatest gift by pictured reports.  Thank you.

I am not feeling well today and so I think Iam going to watch that movie about Burton and Speke !

Cheers
Björn

, ,

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 08:01:33 AM »
I snickered all the way through the OP. Of course, I am several drinks the worse for wear, and probably shouldn't be on the interwebz at all at this point.

Nicely done, excellent painting, and the line about what else Burton could have been holding aside from a sabre made me snigger especially hard.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
How Bizarre. I was only thinking earlier this week about that very scenario and was considering dragging my battered old VHS copy of " Mountains of the moon" out of its dusty box in the loft and watching it. :)

A wonderful looking project and I think some of your best looking figures. The Somali's look great but my favourite is Speke.  Very, very inspiring ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing