Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland  (Read 41762 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »
Dylan, those tents in the background are they Rendera what you have modified somehow?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »
Actually, I don't think the left-hand side is too bad (or did you mean the left-hand side from his point-of-view?). Nothing worth fretting over. It's the bit above the gun tucked into his belt. The one red stripe is way too thin, and a little further up two of the red stripes touch. I even used the Optivisor, so I can't believe that got past Quality Control and I didn't spot it until looking at the photo. Need a more powerful Optivisor!

Yes, his left. Oh yes, I see the bit you mean now (after the tenth look)  ::)  Even so, not outrageous and is probably the sort of thing no-one else would spot.

I was pleased with the red. I thought I'd try something new. Normally I use yellow to highlight red and haven't been all that happy with it. This time I used a khaki-sand colour instead (mixed with the red, obviously), and it's much better. Not so bright. Need to write down what I did in for next time I want to paint some redcoats.

Why not do a tutorial on this forum, then you'll never forget how you did it and we would be able to attempt something similar  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »
Dylan, those tents in the background are they Rendera what you have modified somehow?

No. I am unfamiliar with Rendera. Unfortunately I am also unfamiliar with where those tents came from. Head like a sieve, me. There may be an old thread somewhere where somebody asked me where to get them and I gave an answer. I tried searching for such a thread but alas my efforts came to nought.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
Ian Weekley tents, available from Battlefront probably.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
O-K. THey look similar to the Rendera but with texture to the cloth.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
Love them both, but especially Lt. William Stroyan.  :-*

I personally wouldn't "fix" the stripe, but I can see you may just be a perfectionist Mr. Plynkes.  ;)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:25 AM »
Had a look under the Optivisor and oddly enough it looks totally different (and okay). It must be some kind of optical illusion caused by the camera angle or something because that thin-looking red stripe is actually the same width as all the others, and the whole thing really does look okay to the naked eye. Weird, that. I did end up touching up a spot on the shirt, but it wasn't the bit I intended to.

Oh well. I guess the lesson to learn is when you think you've finished then just stop. Going back and fretting gets you nowhere.  :)

As for the red jacket, for my own future benefit as much as anything:

White undercoat.
Base coat GW Red Gore
Highlights in several (about four, I think) layers of GW Blood Red + Coat d'Arms Horse Tone: Dun (with more of the latter in each layer).

And, uh, that's it. Hardly a tutorial but I don't know what else to write, because that is all I did.  :)

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »
Smashing stuff there. Really nice painting and great theme.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: Somaliland 1920: Stokes Mortar
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »
I've decided to use this thread for pics of my Somaliland 1920 project too, as it shares many figures with the 1850s one. So to get the ball rolling:

The fifth and final British expedition against the Sayyid in 1920 was run on a shoestring budget, and so for artillery support the trusty old Stokes mortar had to be relied upon. It proved invaluable, though the walls of Somali forts were impervious to its fire. It could lob rounds over the walls and cause chaos within, but to actually smash their way in other methods had to be employed, such as a brave (foolhardy) Sepoy or KAR private defying the fire of the Dervishes and dashing up to the walls with their arms filled with explosives. Like some kind of East African Wile E. Coyote or something (in my mind all the explosives has ACME printed on it).

Anyway, the Stokes, which I painted this weekend:

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
Wow!

Very nice !!!
argsilverson

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Plynkes where the figs with neck curtain cames from ?
Wonderful :-*

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 09:40:52 PM »
The´re part of HLBS WWI gun service with Woodbine head swaps.

Those Belgian Waffle Wolsleys are just a riot. Very nice skin tones, Dylan. Not that there was any thing wrong with  your previous formula, but did you change it?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 09:51:28 PM »
I have changed it, but I changed it months ago. I think the colour balance is a bit iffy on these photos, despite my best efforts: slightly yellower than it should be. They don't look quite like that in real life. But it's close enough that I couldn't be bothered to go back and mess with it.

Shikari: Hammers is correct. HLBSC gunners, heads from a Woodbine Designs head pack. I love the way you can buy their heads separately like that. It is a godsend for conversions.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:17 AM »
superb!  :-*
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Somaliland 1920: Stokes Mortar
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 08:08:44 AM »
Yet again lovely figures. Not my period but very well done.

I'm sure this will be one of those questions where the answer becomes obvious once revealed, but where do the sandbags come from? They are very good indeed and would be useful in many different periods.

but to actually smash their way in other methods had to be employed, such as a brave (foolhardy) Sepoy or KAR private defying the fire of the Dervishes and dashing up to the walls with their arms filled with explosives.

They are still using similar methods to enter compounds in Afghanistan, just substituting a bar mine for a pile of explosives, often while having fixed bayonets. And people said that modern wars would be fought with airpower and indirect fire  :?