Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland  (Read 41757 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »
Turns out it was gun-cotton (Nitrocellulose) that they used. Any idea what a bomb made of that stuff would look like? (if say, someone wanted to convert a figure into one charging towards a fort with some.)

The sandbags came from Jens (Pardulon), but I can't seem to find them on his site right now.

Once again the photography has revealed painting mistakes. They have now been rectified.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
Call off the search, found a picture:

Naik Sher Singh, 23rd Sikh Pioneers, getting wounded doing the exact thing we were talking about, only in 1915 rather than 1920.

So, a rather uninspiring little box then. Not at all what I imagined, which was something more like this:

:)

Offline Frank

• LPL Champion (S5,S8) Bronze Medalist (S6)
  • Mad Scientist
    • My TableTop Blog
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
Brilliant! I really like you projects.  :)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
Meant to ask, where is the mortar from?

"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
I think both GWM and Woodbine makes them. I have one of the GWMs (plus I made one from brass tubing and wire).

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
I don't think Woodbine do a Stokes (if they do I haven't seen it). They do a Leach catapult, which is an altogether more Roman Empire-style solution to the age old question of "how best to fling unpleasant shit at the enemy?"

It is indeed a Great War Miniatures model. Which of course means I now have a British Western Front mortar crew with nothing to do. But there's no way I could have scratch built one to that level of detail, and the Woodbine heads cut down on wastage in the figure converting stakes, so I'm relatively happy.

former user

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
Mr. Plynkes Sir
my deepest respect for the endurance, tenacity and talent with which You pursue Your road to perfection.

Have You ever thought of publishing a reference book on wargaming Your favourite period?
seriously!
at least online!

(simply consider this as said forever, for I will abstain from redundance in future posts  ;))

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
I don't think Woodbine do a Stokes (if they do I haven't seen it). They do a Leach catapult, which is an altogether more Roman Empire-style solution to the age old question of "how best to fling unpleasant shit at the enemy?"

It is indeed a Great War Miniatures model. Which of course means I now have a British Western Front mortar crew with nothing to do. But there's no way I could have scratch built one to that level of detail, and the Woodbine heads cut down on wastage in the figure converting stakes, so I'm relatively happy.

£7.20 for the GWM mortar and (redundant) crew; £6.50 for a near-identical Copplestone Chinese mortar and (redundant) crew.  As they say, every little helps.....

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
Very good idea on the conversion with GB heads, may get some in Brodie helmets to put on mine. Thanks for the idea. Oh and yes, please stop trying to side track me back to Africa with these great pieces of work ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »
The sandbags came from Jens (Pardulon), but I can't seem to find them on his site right now.

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. If it is a Pardulon product, I really must put an order in soon (although I've been telling myself that for several years)  ::)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2010, 04:45:20 AM »
Fantasic posting.  Thanks.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2010, 03:41:29 PM »
Plynkes, I have noted that in your Adventures in Somaliland, you range from Burton era to post WW1,
what is your specific interest?
I'm asking because the Mad Mullah period is an interesting one with some really good books on it, expecially for wargames purpose,but very negleted, seems strange.

turning early as Italian I'm also interested in the Giulietti travels in Harar and Dancalia.

Piero

former user

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
a gun-cotton bomb could be simply filled into a metal tube with fuse, as described in "mysterious island"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2010, 08:09:55 PM »
Plynkes, I have noted that in your Adventures in Somaliland, you range from Burton era to post WW1,
what is your specific interest?

Well, Burton for a start (I'm interested in all the East African explorers, but I have to say Burton is my favourite), and since reading "The Warrior Mullah" by Ray Beachey I've been interested in Sayyid Mohammed Abdullah Hassan and the British campaigns against him too. When the Copplestone figures came along it seemed a perfect scheme to game two periods I like with them, because Copplestone's African ranges are probably my favourite figures to paint ever.

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. If it is a Pardulon product, I really must put an order in soon (although I've been telling myself that for several years)  ::)

They are, but they are currently not in the shop. I've always meant to put them back up, but what with one thing and another ::) Please drop me a not if you need some, there are actually some in stock.

Nice mortar team, too ;)
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com