Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:43:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland  (Read 41707 times)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Back to Africa: Adventures in Somaliland
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2011, 11:43:26 PM »
Wow, simply amazing figures. You are a master. Keep posting your fantastic stuff as it is VERY inspirational.

Cheers,

JB

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2011, 06:31:09 AM »
Maybe. I'm not convinced they won't look stupid. Can always repaint them if they do, I suppose.
I've never seen anything you've painted which would come even remotely close to looking stupid.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:43 AM »
They look the business to me.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
Dylan,

They are stunning, and up to your usual standards.  The only 'stupid' part of of your post was your suggestion of repainting.  Or am I mistaken :D and it was someone else  :o who told me that repainting was 'daft' lol lol

Allan
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
It was an entirely hypothetical repainting: If I ballsed up the henna look.

What I don't do any more is go back and repaint old figures from ages ago that I no longer consider up to standard (I have lots of those), as it will send you insane. But repainting something crap that I just did thirty seconds ago is fine. In fact, most of my painting time seems to be spent doing that.  lol
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
Rationalize all you want  ;)  I am willing to risk insanity rather than buying a whole new collection for a period that I gamed 10 years ago, but then again, I am an accountant and cheap as hell by nature lol

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2011, 05:22:16 AM »
Maybe. I'm not convinced they won't look stupid. Can always repaint them if they do, I suppose.

Ha!  You finally did it, eh?  Certainly more skill displayed there than shown in my own attempt, but that's not saying much, I guess.  Sorry I deep-sixed the pics from the earlier thread ... but as it turns out I've been working away at my own Somalis again this very month;  I finally finished those archers and cavalry I've had knocking around for a couple years.  With any luck I'll find enough motivation to post pics, as I'm redoing the whole lot of spear and riflemen I did earlier.

Excellent stuff Plynkes.

Dave   

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
Good to hear that you're still at it, Dave. Maybe I should follow your example and give the henna thing a go. Yours didn't look stupid, after all. I'm just not that sure I like the idea of red hair on them.

I just found an interesting photo:

According to the caption, that is what a Somali tribesman with henna-dyed hair looks like.  ??? Not how I imagined it at all. The direction I was going to go in was much more Clairol Nice-and-Easy than that. Not sure I'd like it much on a figure. In fact it does look rather stupid:)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
Bizarre! The orange and white mix looks "wrong" and if I'd seen a figure painted like that without seeing the pic first I'd have questioned it  :?  Mind you, the Pathan chaps who henna their beards look odd in real life too....

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2011, 12:15:38 AM »
If you notice, this is an older man. The white is from the greying of his hair from age. Henna on white is very orange. But on darker hair you get a mohogany color. That is the color that you will see on the younger warrior aged men. Henna was used all across sub-Saharah Africa. You would be unlikely to see a man of this age in a fighting group, maybe a few with a couple lighter streaks. But not all orange & whit like this man.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
Yes, good point. Hairdressing isn't something I know much about, but that does seem to make sense.

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2011, 06:45:03 AM »
If you notice, this is an older man. The white is from the greying of his hair from age. Henna on white is very orange. But on darker hair you get a mohogany color. That is the color that you will see on the younger warrior aged men. Henna was used all across sub-Saharah Africa. You would be unlikely to see a man of this age in a fighting group, maybe a few with a couple lighter streaks. But not all orange & whit like this man.

You see that in Afghanistan and Pakistan to. I made an attempt with it last year.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
Ah, Hammers - that's exactly what I was referring to earlier. It is obviously authentic (we have several such henna-died beardies living around my area), but it looks odd in miniature  :?  I've never seen a Pathan less than about 60 sporting that fashion though.

Lovely reference pic though, especially for when the Empress NWF range appears!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
The Last Cartridge

'Surrounded by greatly superior numbers, their last cartridges gone, they tried to cut their way out, but they were overwhelmed and lost.'
Colonel Plunkett's column comes to grief. Illustrated London News, 23rd May 1903.

The previous scene was inspired by this illustration from The Sphere. Some more pics:

Fearsome Somali Dervishes (didn't do any with Henna'd hair after all, but I have been experimenting with it on some of my Zanzibaris).

A grisly end.

Plucky British chap meets his fate with grim determination.

The last three sell their lives dearly. Men of the Second Battalion (Central African), King's African Rifles.
A long way from their homes on the shores of Lake Nyasa.

"Goodbye, old chum."

Here at the end, there is no longer any need for forbidden love to hide itself away in the shadows.

(Sorry about that, when posing the figures they just ended up like that and I couldn't resist it.  lol)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
I thought it looked like they were holding hands in the first picture  lol

Very very nice. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing