Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy menagerie - various critters big and small  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Fantasy menagerie - various critters big and small
« on: January 18, 2021, 11:38:02 AM »
Thought I'd finally get a random assortment of fantasy monsters painted up. Lack of gaming in the last year hasn't been very inducive to painting things without the customary "upcoming game" deadlines, but for some reason I'm now feeling keen to get a few randomly purchased figures finished that can be used for all kinds of games, and none in particular.

First up: Heresy Miniatures' snow troll. Not normally a fan of big creatures, but this was an easy one to make look nice with some quick washes and drybrushing. Enjoying the melting snowy look for the base too.

~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Fantasy menagerie - various critters big and small
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
Wonderful painting on a great figure. That melting snow looks particularly good.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
Great work on the fur.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »
Nice!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
Very nice. How did you do the melting snow. It is awesome!

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:39:58 PM »
Looks cool!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the nice words. :)

Looks cool!
Ha!
Well, I don't know if that was intended as a pun, but "Ha!" nonetheless.  lol

Very nice. How did you do the melting snow. It is awesome!
So, some years ago a little company called Games Workshop sold this snow flock which was basically short white static grass.
People quite universally disliked it, and for good reason.
While it did glitter like freshly fallen snow, it was also weirdly hairy when seen from up close. Personally, I also disliked that it most looked like fresh snow, as that would realistically cover the whole base, thus making it a pretty boring look.

So, I ended up experimenting a bit, and mixing it with wood glue and a drop of water ended up creating a lovely mixture. Somewhat toothpasty in viscosity, it sticks well, looks good in small or larger doses, retains some of the glittery aspects, dries rock solid, and is naturally white and translucent to just the right amount (no need to paint the area below white first or so). Only just realized GW stopped selling it in lieu of a readily made mixture, which looks a bit gritty to my tastes (though I'll experiment with it too at some point. Might be good for trampled snow). I wonder if another company has something similar to the old flock...

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 04:35:54 PM »
Grabbed some of the new(ish) plastic Chaos furies (GW) from ebay some time ago, but I appear to have either misplaced one of the heads, or it wasn't supplied. Well, I was thinking of changing the heads anyway (wasn't sure of the bearded faces), so that choice was made for me now.
Settled on the genestealer skulls from their skull pack as a suitably terrifying replacement.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
Wow. Great choice for a heapswap. Those look awesome. I can't wait to see them painted. Now I want some!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 09:54:07 PM »
They look amazing - very menacing.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 10:05:30 AM »
Really like the snow effect you achieved. The monster itself is also very well done. Finally that headswap is also a great choice!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 07:48:37 PM »
So, some years ago a little company called Games Workshop sold this snow flock which was basically short white static grass.
People quite universally disliked it, and for good reason.
While it did glitter like freshly fallen snow, it was also weirdly hairy when seen from up close. Personally, I also disliked that it most looked like fresh snow, as that would realistically cover the whole base, thus making it a pretty boring look.

So, I ended up experimenting a bit, and mixing it with wood glue and a drop of water ended up creating a lovely mixture. Somewhat toothpasty in viscosity, it sticks well, looks good in small or larger doses, retains some of the glittery aspects, dries rock solid, and is naturally white and translucent to just the right amount (no need to paint the area below white first or so). Only just realized GW stopped selling it in lieu of a readily made mixture, which looks a bit gritty to my tastes (though I'll experiment with it too at some point. Might be good for trampled snow). I wonder if another company has something similar to the old flock...
Thanks
I have some "snow" from another company with much the same problem. Kind of looks like dandruff applies to a base. I might experiment with adding glue before applying.