Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wirelizard's Gaslands cars & scenery (new cars, 14 May 2023!)  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Wirelizard's Gaslands cars & scenery (new cars, 14 May 2023!)
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:15:15 AM »
After playing Gaslands both in person and by webcam for months now, I'm finally getting around to properly converting my first few cars.

I've got an Impala and two Barracudas up first, converted with North Star Instruments of Carnage parts and random plastic styrene bits from the stash.

They're all legal as regular cars in Gaslands Refuelled. The Impala has a turreted MG or HMG and a ram plate, Barracuda #1 on the far left has dual MG/HMG mounted on the hood, and 'Cuda #2 has an MG or HMG forward and a dropped weapon mounted aft - mines, usually. They could all also be Performance Cars under the rules with the same weapon mix, and the Impala is beefy enough that if someone wanted to run it as a Truck and add more weapons than WYSIWYG I'd be OK with that.

There's four or five more photos over on the blog, including pre-primer ones if you're interested in the gory details of construction: http://www.warbard.ca/2021/01/18/cars-for-gaslands/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 08:16:54 PM by Wirelizard »

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: Wirelizard's Gaslands cars
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 02:12:08 AM »
Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:41:16 AM »
They're great looking builds, especially the Impala; definitely inspiring me to make some more cars in the near future.

I might even get around to buying the ruleset later in the year when I've played through all the ones I already own.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:00 PM »
They're great looking builds, especially the Impala; definitely inspiring me to make some more cars in the near future.

I might even get around to buying the ruleset later in the year when I've played through all the ones I already own.

The Impala turned into my favourite as I was building these three too; I'd like the lines of the 'Cudas more but as I modified the Impala the sheer Mad Max over-the-top lunacy of the Impala conversion grew on me. Those exhaust pipes are so tall they actually interfere with the traverse of the ring-mounted gun, and that huge slab of sheet metal as a "spoiler" would do more to screw up handling by raising the car's Centre of Gravity than it would ever, ever provide in downforce performance gains!

Gaslands is a nice little system, and because of the simplicity and template-based movement it's been great to play via webcam.
Gaslands by Webcam: http://www.warbard.ca/2020/12/26/gaslands-by-webcam/
How to Run A Tabletop Game by Webcam: http://www.warbard.ca/2020/12/27/how-to-run-gaslands-or-any-game-by-webcam/

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
Those cars are looking good.  Have you checked out gaslands on FB?  Some of the cars posted there are insanely detailed.
We had just started getting into gaslands when we shutdown.  Hope to return to it sometime soon. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 02:41:46 AM »
The three cars seen last week in primer are now done!

I'm pleased with all three of them, especially the red and black Impala.

Nothing terribly original about the paint jobs, except maybe the glaze medium on the red-black transition on the Impala. Lots and lots of drybrushing, some washes, picking out a few details on the gunner, and some freehand especially on the purple Barracuda - the neon green flames on the hood were fun to do.

Lots more pics over on the blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2021/01/25/first-three-gaslands-cars-finished/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Wirelizard's Gaslands cars (first 3 cars finished, 25 Jan)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:30 AM »
Working up some gates for Gaslands racing; they're done in the same scrapyard style as the jumps I built a few months ago.

I raided my large and ancient styrene stash and bashed them together like they were assembled on site from scrap girders, pipes, beams, and sheet metal. They're based on nice solid 1.25" fender washers so they're ballasted and should be gamer-proof, especially because the verticals are also held in with a fairly substantial blob of Milliput.

The three ordinary gates are basically done unless I decide to add floodlights or other details; the start gate is getting an announcers/media cab on one side that's taking a bit more time to finish up.

I really like how these have come together, and some of these plastic bits have been in the stash for actual decades, so it was past time to use them up!

Still to do is the overhead horizontal gantry for the start gates, which is going to have the name of our nominal race track/arena on it and other details like loudspeakers. The gates are going to have numbers on them as well, done in sheet styrene so it looks like they've been cut from sheet metal.

More pics and such over on the blog, as usual: http://www.warbard.ca/2021/01/31/gates-for-gaslands-racing-part-one/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Wirelizard's Gaslands cars & scenery (gates started, 1 Feb)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »
This thread had gotten lost; I've done a bunch of work on the gate towers since early Feb and they are very nearly done, at long last!

I finished up the towers, put the basecoats on them, and then had to wait for a bit for 3d printed parts because we had a cold snap and it was too chilly in my brother's garage for his 3d printer to function. Thankfully that didn't last long and I got the 3d printed speaker cabinets, loudspeakers, and lettering from him.

The huge numbers above are cut from sheet styrene; the GATE lettering is 3d printed.

The "Esquimalt Thunderdome" sign is 3d printed; the girders and other bits are all styrene. Because gates need to be at least a Long Straight template wide in Gaslands (about 7" or so) the whole overhead gantry for the start/finish line wound up being about 9 inches long.

The overhead gantry was primed grey, basecoated a blotchy red/brown/orange rust, then stippled and drybrushed white to give the effect of the paint weathering off the thing. I am super pleased with the paint there, it turned out really, really nicely.

There's a whole bunch more photos and verbiage over on the blog:
http://www.warbard.ca/2021/02/07/gates-for-gaslands-part-two/
http://www.warbard.ca/2021/02/20/gates-for-gaslands-part-three/
http://www.warbard.ca/2021/03/20/gates-for-gaslands-part-four/

I'll have this finished sometime this week and will get some daylight photos of everything set up.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Re: Wirelizard's Gaslands cars & scenery (gates update, 21 March)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 09:29:49 PM »
Wow, amazing terrain pieces!
I only managed to make some jersey barriers and tire-walls for Gaslands...

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 10:25:12 PM »
What a treat 👍🏼
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 01:55:58 AM »
Fantastic!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:36:52 PM »
Thanks, all, glad you're enjoying these projects.

I have to say I'm incredibly pleased with the gate towers and especially with the overhead gantry; they look pretty much exactly like I'd designed them in my head! The weathered white paint on the gantry might just be the best weathered paint I've ever done; not quite sure what I did differently but it looks absolutely awesome if I may say so!

More photos in the next day or two; the photos are taken I just need to make time to edit them and write the blog post...

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 10:19:09 PM »
They're great looking gates.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 06:19:48 PM »
Nice.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »
An abandoned/derilict 1950s retro gas station as a road side ..... distraction might be in order for the race course... heh
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!