Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CoC Pandemic Project: 29 Let’s Go! - Game #1: Probe at LaCambe  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC Pandemic Project: 29 Let’s Go!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:11 AM »
Looking great!

Are the anti tank gun crews 1st Corps too?  If so, how do they stand against your Warlord minis please?

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
They are all Warlord.  The leIG18 has crew from both the Heer & SS version, the Pak38 & 40 both have crews from the Heer & SS Pak 40.  The Pak40 Junior Leader is from the Heer RSO.  I bought the guns & extra crews from Warlord before realizing I really didn't like the guns.  The castings were poor, and looked tiny.  I then found the 1st Corps guns and immediately ordered them.  In addition to the quality of the sculpts & castings, I really like their flexibility.  You can buy the guns separately like I did, with 4 or 6 crew, or just the crews of 4 or 6.  If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy the 1st Corps guns with 6 crew.
-Tommy

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Re: CoC Pandemic Project: 29 Let’s Go! - American Platoon & MMG
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2021, 06:20:22 PM »
American Platoon & MMG Team

After finishing my Germans, I took a bit of a break from painting late into the night.  A little over a week ago, I got back into the swing of things, and knocked out the base American platoon plus an MMG in just over a week.  Since the Americans have fewer colors to work through, and no camouflage, i was able to do twice as many figures per night, albeit the nights were a bit longer...

I again started with an MMG Team to test out Sonic Sledgehammer’s method from “How I Paint Things - WW2 US Infantry with Contrast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eai34eU6nA&t 

Here are the results:

I was able to turn this around in a (long) evening's work, and was again pleased with the way the Contrast Paints sped up the process.  At tabletop distances, these will do quite nicely.

I then moved on to the core platoon.  Using an assembly line again, I painted six figures a night, averaging about 40 minutes per fig.

Now on to the supports!  If things go well, I should have all of the miniatures for 29 Let's Go! painted in a little over a week.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:39:12 AM by Tommy20 »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC Pandemic Project: 29 Let’s Go! - American Platoon & MMG Added
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 06:45:58 PM »
Cracking work. 

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 01:04:01 AM »
Excellent You Tube piece.
I have used a wash and stain method. for years.
I have used Contrast paints for a number of figures.
The paint works well.
It does speed up painting.
Thanks for the post, your figures look great.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 03:22:31 PM »
You've done an excellent job with the contrast paints!

The issue I have with contrast paint in general is that the highlights seem too lite for my tastes. Has anyone tried to paint the miniatures with a regular opaque paint in a lighter color than you want the finished product and then using the contrast paints?

Or would using a different primer help? Like using Army painter spray primer in the primary color and then applying the contrast paints.

If anyone has tried it, I'd love to see examples. Contrast paints are expensive enough that I want to be sure I'll get something that looks right to me before I invest in a lot contrast paints.

Thanks for sharing!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »
I don't think they would work at all well over a colored basecoat (my previous method was to spray all figures with the most prominent uniform color, OD, khaki, etc...).  A friend has had some success with Contrast over a zenithal prime, but my attempt at that failed miserably.  Since these all had a shading wash, I think that has muted the brightest of the highlights.

Thanks for the comments!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »
Thanks for the response! It will save me from trying the different options. The US troops jackets look perfect, the trousers look a bit light, for my tastes. The Germans look a bit too lite too. Beautiful work none the less. Thanks again!

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2021, 06:25:53 AM »
I've done both forces in 20mm (I wanted to paint the AB figures and I prefer the less crowded battlefield, and buying the vehicles wouldn't break the bank). I painted mine using traditional paints for the base colours, Agrax Earthshade wash (I watched Sonic Sledgehammer too!)and highlighted with original colours. I also washed some figures with AP strong tone from a tin - for these the highlighting was a bit more optional and I thought demonstrated the differing properties of the two products. I used Vallejo 70.984 Flat Brown for the trousers and shirts on my American figures - the green was more of a late, late war thing, I believe.

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Re: CoC Pandemic Project: 29 Let’s Go! - Americans Finished!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2021, 03:34:05 AM »
Americans Finished!

Last night I finished the last of my American support options.  I now have all of the troops necessary to play 29 Let’s Go!  All figures are Warlord, and most of the supports are metal, some of which are getting long in the tooth.  Although the sculpts are mostly fine, the castings had a fair amount of flash and evidence of mold wear.

Medic

Additional BAR’s

Bazooka Team

Flamethrower Team

Sniper Team

60mm Mortar Team

FO Team

.50 HMG Team

The Engineers are plastic with metal equipment from the Rangers boxed set supplemented with “Extra Hand” handheld equipment from Victory Force Miniatures.

Engineer Wire Team

Engineer Mine Team

Engineer Demo Team

The tank commander is by Warlord, mounted in a hatch I found on Shapeways.  It can be mounted on a third Sherman to denote the Senior Leader.

Sherman Senior Leader

All of the troops on parade:

Painted American Platoon plus Supports

Painted German Platoon plus Supports

With the troops finished it’s time to move on to the hedges, and finally get some games in.  Any suggestions on good scenarios for a first game?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:42:42 AM by Tommy20 »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
Nice painting.

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Re: CoC Pandemic Project: 29 Let’s Go! - Hedges Finished!
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »
6/28   Hedges Finished!

It’s been a long time since my last update, but other than a couple of weeks off for vacation (more on that later), I haven’t been idle!

Looking through the scenarios for 29 Let’s Go!, I estimated that I would need 18’ of hedges.  Per the campaign, these are not bocage, but the less dense farm hedges south of Omaha Beach.  Looking through aerial photos of the area taken before and during the Normandy campaign, I don’t see a lot of difference in appearance between these and the bocage in the Cotentin (at least from the air/gamer’s viewpoint), so I decided to make hedges that could serve as either.

I based my design on the methods found on Pizzagrenadier's Miniature Wargaming Blog.  For the base, however, I used yardsticks from Home Depot.  They are flat, strong enough not to warp, and happen to be marked at regular intervals making it simple to measure the cuts!  After cutting the bases to length, I beveled the edges using a handheld mini-circular saw, whittled the basswood embankments to shape, and painted the whole thing brown to match Vallejo European Mud ground texture, which I used to fill the joins & add texture the whole piece.  From there, I flocked and added foliage per the blog.  Now that they are done, I heartily agree with his comment that these suckers are tough!

One if the determining factors in the amount (and sizes) I made was storage.  I had to be able to store whatever I built in my (quickly filling up) gaming shelves.  I use Sterilite stacking storage boxes, and the short 8.5” x 11” boxes determined the lengths of the majority of pieces.

The final product in situ:

This is a 5x8' table, so a foot on either edge will be used for troops, charts, dice trays etc...  With that in mind, the hedges will cover a bit more space than shown, however, I think I may eventually need to make another box worth (aka six feet).  I also picked up a number of ready-made Woodland Scenic trees that I intend to integrate into the hedges needed.  These will be removable, however, to keep the storage easy.

Tommy2.0 & I also managed to get a couple of training games in to learn the rules.  We have a couple of questions that I need to post to the group, but we are cautiously optimistic that we’re ready to dive into the campaign.

Oh, and on vacation we managed to visit Valley Forge, Fort McHenry and Gettysburg, so I fear a copy of Sharp Practice is in my future…

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2021, 10:58:21 PM »
Great looking hedges, well done.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2021, 05:55:18 AM »
Nice output Tommy20. One of these days I ought to put together both sides for a CoC game and force my friends to play. As for Sharp Practice I heartily recommend the system. I've played it a grand total of one time, at Historicon 2019, but it makes for great narrative games and left enough of an impression on me that I have the rule book and enough miniatures for an AWI force. Enjoy the miniatures!