Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New spider-bot - good scale jumper  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
New spider-bot - good scale jumper
« on: September 02, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »
I see Vanguard just released this guy (and some other things that definitely weren't napping for millions of years under a metal pyramid somewhere):

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/sentinel-swarm-dominus/

Theoretically 6mm scale, but looks to me like the larger machine would fit just as well in 15mm and 28mm gaming.  Going by the size of epic infantry strip bases that's probably a  25mm round base it's sitting on.  The little guys might be harder to use due to the integral metal bases, but maybe good for base dressing or adding some creepy color to larger scale terrain?

Wonder how big it is next compared to Darkest Star's various 15mm walkers, which have a broadly similar multi-legged design style.

https://www.darkeststargames.com/spec-sec-mechs.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:01:52 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New spider-bot - good scale jumper
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »
That’s pretty cool definitely would work well in bigger scales

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 11:13:10 PM »
I like it. Suitable robotic dog for Stargrave.

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 01:01:25 PM »
I like it. Suitable robotic dog for Stargrave.

Good point.  And let's face it, if you're taking a "dog" in your crew at all, it's better off as a robot so it doesn't suffer from the Wounded penalty.  The potential to Rewire it to Move 9 or Fight +2 doesn't hurt either - not like you were using your Will for much anyway, what with being unable to open loot tokens.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 01:41:03 AM »
I've not go the rules yet (in the post) but I guess I'll be doing that then!

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
I've not go the rules yet (in the post) but I guess I'll be doing that then!

The dogs are more of a fluffy choice than an effective one no matter what you do with them, but having a pet (be it alien, robotic, or an actual canine) has a certain appeal and they are thankfully cheap to hire.  Maybe we'll see some kind of animal handler background someday that amps them up or offers more variations on the concept, but at the moment it's a struggle to get much out of them compared to other soldier types.  They're super fast, but that doesn't help much given their very low Fight, Health, and Armor stats and understandable inability to interact with loot or use gear.

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 10:56:02 PM »
Although you can keep things in theme and get rules benefits by simply using a robotic "dog" as a robotic runner. The runner is better in almost every way.

The dogs are more of a fluffy choice than an effective one no matter what you do with them, but having a pet (be it alien, robotic, or an actual canine) has a certain appeal and they are thankfully cheap to hire.  Maybe we'll see some kind of animal handler background someday that amps them up or offers more variations on the concept, but at the moment it's a struggle to get much out of them compared to other soldier types.  They're super fast, but that doesn't help much given their very low Fight, Health, and Armor stats and understandable inability to interact with loot or use gear.

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »
Although you can keep things in theme and get rules benefits by simply using a robotic "dog" as a robotic runner. The runner is better in almost every way.

True that.  Also a free include, rather than the (admittedly low) cost of the dog.

I rather like robotic medics in that "speedy, not so fighty" role but they do cost quite a lot so something of an extravagance, and the utility of medkits makes you think twice about using it as a loot hauler.  They are noteworthy as (I think) the only soldier in the game that actually fights in melee worse than a dog, due to the unarmed penalty - apparently they don't want to get their scalpels dirty stabbing people.  :)   Harder to hit with shooting though, since their actual base fight is higher.