Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roswell '98: 1/72 Post Apoc (XR Bandit update)  (Read 32689 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone (Xenos Rampant Update)
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2023, 03:14:51 PM »
Finished my last Gaslands gang for this setting.

Punks are a staple of Post Apocalyptic gaming, but it took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with them in my Roswell ’98 setting. I originally planned to just use army greens like the Maniax as a tribute to the Dark Future gang. Ultimately, I opted to employ some inspiration from them, but not copy that gang outright.

I already have a gang with military type vehicles, The Cultists, and another gang that dresses in greens, the recent Ex-Military types, so I skipped those Maniax standards so this gang could have it’s own identity. Their tribute to the Maniax is the gang all having blond mohawks. I was thinking of having a wide assortment of colored hair, but I kinda like how a unified color helps with gang identity.

My thought on this gang is to have the vehicles look like a punk’s leather jacket. You know the type, pins, patches, spikes, etc all over. I didn’t want to go overboard so the models weren’t too cluttered, but black vehicles with graffiti was my attempt to convey the same sort of authoritarian vibe.

Punk models are a mix of Northstar Gaslands Punks and Citadel Dark Future with a single Elhiem hanging out the shotgun side of the beetle. The vehicles are Greenlight 1949 Volkswagen Beetle, Greenlight Volkswagen Panel Van both 1/64. The bike, sidecar and riders are Citadel Dark Future.

I still have the punk and rocker models on foot to paint up so this gang can play in Xenos Rampant, but this actually finishes the last of my vehicles for Gaslands. Every vehicle has driver and passenger models. This was a lot of extra work for Gaslands, but it was important to me to make use of these models. I have an idea for a single model or two in the future, but those are fun stretch goals that I’m ok if I don’t actually get too. For now though, my Gaslands models are done.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 04:03:38 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone (Gaslands Update)
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2023, 06:41:32 PM »
I still like the one hanging out the side door of that VW... :)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2023, 02:35:17 AM »
Looking great! You are going to have a simply amazing looking game one day...  :-*

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »
Thanks, both.

I have played a few games of Gaslands with these minis and it, indeed, does look pretty cool. Looking forward to playing XR and getting all the foot models, well, on foot and on the table.

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2023, 07:52:54 AM »
Love the welds on the roof of the van. As if they'd be precise at welding they'd just slather as much as they could untill it sticks  8)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2023, 03:52:13 AM »
Thanks! I’m glad that worked out. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how I was going to pull off the gunmen on top of the van. I’m not great at greenstuff and don’t have a large amount of bits. Spare wheels from the Implements of Carnage by Northstar gave me round objects to have the punks sticking out of, but I was at a loss as to how they would be affixed to the van. Originally, I was going to wrap chains around the vehicle up to the tires, but I didn’t like the overall look. Putting a dab of greenstuff on the roof and pressing the tires into it was dead simple. I just used a pin to press the “weld” effect.

How do you weld rubber tires? Who knows! But it was easy to do and looks ok. Also, part of be overall aesthetic of this project is for a B-Movie look, not a lot of mods to the vehicles. limited budget for visuals here ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:55:33 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2023, 06:58:54 AM »
Lovely job👍🏼
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2023, 10:06:37 PM »
Thanks!

I just realized I omitted a picture and content from a few posts back. The human cultists image as well as text on the greys weren't included so the post was bizarre. It's been updated: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129236.msg1802707#msg1802707

I've opted to not just post a link to my blog about this stuff, but to include the entire blog post here for ease of viewing for LAF members. Sometimes there's a little lost in translation between the two. Sorry!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2023, 03:40:26 PM »
A scrappy band of human scientists were able to emit waves that paralyzed some of the invading robots around Roswell. The machines were locked in place, but could still pivot and fire.

This was the background for a recent game of Gaslands - Arena of Death scenario. The robot models served as turrets.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2023, 11:56:10 PM »
Your stuff always looks so cool. I wish Gaslands interfaced with infantry better and made more of a Sci-Fi wargame. It definitely has one of the more fun vehicle movement systems!

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2023, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks!

Yeah, it would be nice, and I think there was an issue of Wargames Illustrated a few years back that had pedestrian rules for Gaslands. If I recall, the Gaslands author has said he's not doing pedestrian rules for the system, and I get it. Like the pedestrian rules for Dark Future it's kinda hard to do when also dealing with vehicles moving at high speed. Fortunately, Xenos Rampant has vehicle rules, so there is a way for me to use both my vehicle and pedestrian models together in a game, but it won't be with the Gaslands movement templates.

What I'm doing with Gaslands atm, is using pedestrians around the board as window dressing and spawn points. Also, if a car wrecks, and doesn't explode, we're letting the players pick a pedestrian model to represent the driver and have them placed next to their vehicles wreck where they act similar to turrets except any hit takes them out. it adds a little more narrative to the game with the drivers sticking around taking shots.

In another little bit of hobby news, this little Roswell '98 project of mine is in the August issue of Wargames Illustrated (issue 428).

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2023, 02:46:48 PM »
In another little bit of hobby news, this little Roswell '98 project of mine is in the August issue of Wargames Illustrated (issue 428).

Whoa...congratulations!  :o Well-deserved!

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2023, 04:57:21 PM »
I read that article last night.  I though that stuff looked familiar, so I looked on LAF.  And voila!  Great job!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2023, 05:48:42 PM »
Thanks, both!

When I submitted the article, I had no idea what the other contents would be. Now I joke with my friends that "Rick Priestly, Dan Mersey, and the Perry Twins are WI contemporaries of mine". hehehe

If only the magazine was more readily available here in the United States...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2023, 05:51:48 PM »
Thanks, both!

When I submitted the article, I had no idea what the other contents would be. Now I joke with my friends that "Rick Priestly, Dan Mersey, and the Perry Twins are WI contemporaries of mine". hehehe

If only the magazine was more readily available here in the United States...

I know Barnes & Noble carries it...so does the Michigan Toy Soldier Shoppe in Royal oak, MI, as well as On Military Matters...